Abeo Dash Cam

Cancel the order for the step-down converter: it's rubbish. Do post #96 instead - a bit more expensive, but much more stable voltage.

I'm still using the battery rather than the super cap.

My camera came with a fag lighter charger so that's the way I wired mine in. The socket and charger sit nicely in the fuse box.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The Mobius doesn't have a cigarette lighter type plug on the end of the charging cable, it is USB so I'll need the step-down adaptor.

There is another couple of dash cam related threads over in the Octavia forum where they are using the step-down converters and they seem to be running OK.

One to watch here then I think!

I guess you are thinking...

Camera - mini USB to USB:

1m-micro-usb-cable.png

USB to 12V in-car cigarette lighter plug:

USBCarWhite_ProductImage.JPG

Then 12V in-car plug into a 12V in-car socket:

!B654JTw!2k~$(KGrHqJ,!jYEzKPIsUkZBMypu(g

Then into the piggy back fuse holder, positive to 5A fuse box and negative to dash securing point:

31LwBB%2Ba3HL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What size terminal do I need for this?

6f5e64352abf003ff372b2ceb69b9749.jpg

I bought these but I think they are all too small to fit around the thread / under the nut?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300Pcs-Assorted-Insulated-Electrical-Wire-Crimp-Terminals-Connector-Butt-Set-/131303623183?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1e924e4a0f#ht_4557wt_1124

Even the yellow ones look a little small compared to the picture above?

003.jpg

Still not got mine yet as i have been toying with going for an A118 wedge with GPS and built in screen for the same price as the Mobius but the poorer night footage quality of the a118 has put me off it..... Anyway I notice there is now a v3 Mobius that seems to have been released last November/December time with the following changes........

Three new modifications have been made to the Mobius.

Case Revision: A new Mobius case has already begun to be sold, as was posted by a user in the Mobius Owners Thread a few weeks ago. The main difference is a widening of the top LED observation hole filled with a clear plastic "light pipe" that extends over the four LED's inside, capturing the LED illumination and directing it to the plastic in the hole where it is much easier to see.

Circuit Board Revision: A new V3 circuit board has been released with an over-voltage protection IC added at the USB plug which will immediately disconnect external power if the applied voltage is between 5.6V and 28V (nominal). This will protect the camera from virtually all of the situations where greater than standard 5V USB power (e.g. 12+ V from a 3S lipo flight pack or FPV TX buss) has been accidentally connected to the camera. This protection IC is ahead of all other camera circuitry, so there will be no indication from the camera when this circuit cuts power. There simply will be no power from the external source. If the camera was already operating on it's internal battery when an over-voltage external supply is connected, it will continue recording on it's internal battery with no help or re-charging available from the external source. NOTE: This IC protection does NOT provide any reverse polarity protection, so it is still imperative that ANY external power connection is not reversed. Doing so will damage the circuitry, as will external power that exceeds 28V. The V3 circuit board will otherwise perform like the V2 board.

Optional Battery Available: An 820 mAH battery is now available, which fits in the standard Mobius case and will boost the normal recording time (in default 1080p mode with normal data rate) by about 60% to approximately 130 min . Charging, of course will take proportionally longer. The V3 circuit board has a higher battery charge current than the V1 and V2 boards, and will recharge the new battery in about 3 hours, whereas the earlier circuit boards will take about 5+ hours for a full re-charge. The new battery weighs about 5 gms more than the 520 mAH original battery, and will cost about $1 more. The original battery will continue to be sold, but you may need to specify what you want if it's not specified in the product description.

Some vendors may need to clear out existing inventory before offering these improvements, so if you only want the new models, be sure to specify that when you order and maybe be prepared to wait a bit before your order can be filled.
Edited by WaveyDavey

Still not got mine yet as i have been toying with going for an A118 wedge with GPS and built in screen for the same price as the Mobius but the poorer night footage quality of the a118 has put me off it..... Anyway I notice there is now a v3 Mobius that seems to have been released last November/December time with the following changes........

Three new modifications have been made to the Mobius.

Case Revision: A new Mobius case has already begun to be sold, as was posted by a user in the Mobius Owners Thread a few weeks ago. The main difference is a widening of the top LED observation hole filled with a clear plastic "light pipe" that extends over the four LED's inside, capturing the LED illumination and directing it to the plastic in the hole where it is much easier to see.

Circuit Board Revision: A new V3 circuit board has been released with an over-voltage protection IC added at the USB plug which will immediately disconnect external power if the applied voltage is between 5.6V and 28V (nominal). This will protect the camera from virtually all of the situations where greater than standard 5V USB power (e.g. 12+ V from a 3S lipo flight pack or FPV TX buss) has been accidentally connected to the camera. This protection IC is ahead of all other camera circuitry, so there will be no indication from the camera when this circuit cuts power. There simply will be no power from the external source. If the camera was already operating on it's internal battery when an over-voltage external supply is connected, it will continue recording on it's internal battery with no help or re-charging available from the external source. NOTE: This IC protection does NOT provide any reverse polarity protection, so it is still imperative that ANY external power connection is not reversed. Doing so will damage the circuitry, as will external power that exceeds 28V. The V3 circuit board will otherwise perform like the V2 board.

Optional Battery Available: An 820 mAH battery is now available, which fits in the standard Mobius case and will boost the normal recording time (in default 1080p mode with normal data rate) by about 60% to approximately 130 min . Charging, of course will take proportionally longer. The V3 circuit board has a higher battery charge current than the V1 and V2 boards, and will recharge the new battery in about 3 hours, whereas the earlier circuit boards will take about 5+ hours for a full re-charge. The new battery weighs about 5 gms more than the 520 mAH original battery, and will cost about $1 more. The original battery will continue to be sold, but you may need to specify what you want if it's not specified in the product description.

Some vendors may need to clear out existing inventory before offering these improvements, so if you only want the new models, be sure to specify that when you order and maybe be prepared to wait a bit before your order can be filled.

Mine just arrived this morning.

Looks like I have V3 as it has the new rectangle shaped (instead of round) LED on the top...

IMG_6676_zpslugu8lio.jpg

• Like 1

This is what I had before the Mobius arrived, all from China excluding the fuses which were from a UK seller. I also have a micro SD card from Amazon too...

IMG_6672_zpss9hbekcs.jpg

The camera, two mounts (suction cup type & sticky tape type) and 3 meter USB cable are all from this eBay seller (eletoponline365)...

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I think this seller was recommended on one of the many dash cam threads. They provided tracking details via China Post. Marked as dispatched on the 20th January, arrived yesterday!

Edited by silver1011

A few beers last night, a bad head this morning and an expectation from the wife that I need to spend some time with her and the kids put an end to that plan!

It'll be next weekend now :D

Jake,

Have you stuck your camera onto the third visor dots on the windscreen? I only ask as in a few of his reviews the TechMoan guy mentions he doesn't stick things onto those dots as though he's had issues?

Have you heard anything like that before? I just have visions of sticking on there and when taking it off the dots coming off the screen too. :)

Hi Dave, yes I did put it on the 3rd visor section. When I come to sell it I will just leave the sticker mount on there for the next lucky owner. I had read that it may cause problems come removal time, but I wanted something discrete, and as I'm not in the business of testing many different dashcams I decided to risk it - as it's not as if I will be sticking and removing onto that section lots of times.

• Like 1

Just ordered all the bits for mine.

The Mobius and the helmet mount from BangGood, power socket from Euro Car Parts and everything else from Amazon as they were the cheaper option for everything else.

This is actually my Christmas pressie from the Mrs. :)

• Like 1

Another question for you Jake :D

This fuse location you've used, is it a blank or did this position already hold a fuse / serve a purpose?

I plan to use the same location and was just curious.

Is that a 25A (brown) and 5A (orange) fuse? Which one is the original and which one is piggy backed?

ca1bf516231279f7a4e5400695ba786a.jpg

Checking the manual it appears to be position #43?

Superb%20Fuse%20Configuration_zpsfjtfpyd

Which looks to be 'Control unit for trailer detection'...

Fuse%2043_zpsg7o3w7ow.jpg

Edited by silver1011

I think from memory and looking at the photos i took on my phone when i was originally looking into the camera that i was going to use fuse 42.... The camera itself needs a 5a fuse and in my car anyway fuse 42 also has a 5a fuse in there already so the piggy back fuse will have 2x5a fuses in it in my install..... If i stick with that plan.

The problem with going for an empty position is that there may not be any connection to the battery at that position.... I can't remember whether i found any spare working positions in mine or not.... Although i think there would not have been with me deciding to use an existing used position etc....

Am I missing a fundamental point here in that why would you want a camera in your car? Perhaps firstly, to capture footage of an accident, secondly to capture the fizzog of some disillusioned idiot attempting to steal? Unless you live in the darkest depths of Birmingham or of that ilk I can't see the point... By all means enlighten

Dave got it in one: fuse 42, which is a 5A fuse. I chose it because it was the same rating I was going to use for the mobius circuit (and I couldn't figure out which of the slots in the piggy-back fuse related to which circuit), and because it was one of the non-safety component circuits - interior lights, rather than airbags and control units.

• Like 1

Am I missing a fundamental point here in that why would you want a camera in your car? Perhaps firstly, to capture footage of an accident, secondly to capture the fizzog of some disillusioned idiot attempting to steal? Unless you live in the darkest depths of Birmingham or of that ilk I can't see the point... By all means enlighten

It's in case you have an accident which is the other driver's fault, where they claim it was your fault. You can then submit your footage as evidence (or not).

Or if you bump gently into the back of another car, and the other driver then claims for damage to all of the side panels, both rear light clusters, and whiplash for his wife, 3 kids, and all of his mates that were also travelling.

I exaggerate for emphasis, but for less than £100 (most driver's insurance excess) you have the option of producing evidence in the event of an accident, if it supports your case to do so.

Edited by JakeBlade

Thanks jakeblade.... Still don't see the point though... Sounds like some places experience more of the bump and blame culture than I'm aware of. I've been driving in the UK for 30+ years and had my fair share of shunts and bumps but at the end of the day it always boils down to who had the right of way... Nothing more nothing less...

Thanks jakeblade.... Still don't see the point though... Sounds like some places experience more of the bump and blame culture than I'm aware of. I've been driving in the UK for 30+ years and had my fair share of shunts and bumps but at the end of the day it always boils down to who had the right of way... Nothing more nothing less...

Personally i'm fitting one because of the rising number of crash for cash incidents in the UK. And as i drive approx 80% of the time on motorways and dual carriageways where alot of these things happen it can be a saviour if ever it were to happen. And why would you need to live in the deepest darkest depths of Birmingham for something like this to happen to you????

There have been numerous TV programs etc... on the current rise in these sort of incidents and the involvement of organised gangs/crime.

Some light reading for you..... ;)

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/06/crash-for-cash-incidents-all-time-high-aviva

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2823175/Crash-cash-road-accidents-staged-fraudulent-whip-lash-compensation-time-high-scams-carried-organised-gangs.html

https://crimestoppers-uk.org/get-involved/our-campaigns/national-campaigns/crash-for-cash/

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/legal-advice/crash-for-cash-insurance-fraud.html (Read the last couple of paragraphs of this one relating to dashcams) ;)

Edited by WaveyDavey
  • Like 2