Abeo Dash Cam

Mine is pointed down slightly so that the sky doesn't over expose the image..... More useful when it's a sunny day.

I did this with my mini 0803, I found it gives a clearer image of things, particularly number plates.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Mine is pointed down slightly so that the sky doesn't over expose the image..... More useful when it's a sunny day.

Also would the FOV setting cause a difference? Mine is set to wide is yours still on the default of narrow?

I'm on the default setting, which ever that might be  :D

I noticed that you get some reflection from the dash in the windscreen too?

I'll post some of my footage too, I'd never thought about the bright sky reducing the image quality but it certainly makes sense.

The defaults are narrow FOV and also WDR off. I have changed mine to wide and on respectively.

Having seen other footage I think mine seems to be better than most for reflections..... Most seem to get the hazard lights button shown reflecting on the windscreen. :)

My car was in for service and MOT today. Interesting what was caught on camera. Nothing bad, but I think I've only wheel spun my car once in my life. Mind you, with 140 wild stallions under the bonnet, I can see how it can easily be done.

Pretty much ran my battery down too, leaving the lights on. Cheeky monkeys.

Our local Skoda dealer has a viewing window that offers a good view of the service bays.

I am often surprised at how long the cars are sat on the ramps, engine off, dipped headlights on.

Had a play about with the image settings the other day with some settings I'd seen online but having looked at the results today not impressed. I've put them back to default apart from a couple which I have changed very very slightly....

I hooked it up as a webcam to the eeePC today whilst still in the car but it was going dark so at some point over the next couple of days I'll hook it up again and change settings on the fly so to speak till I'm happy with it.

I've ordered another helmet mount from Banggood as after having the camera in position for a while now i'm not happy with how visible it is from outside. I realised that when it's sunny it becomes very visible in the windscreen when walking past the car so i'm going to remove the mount and then put the replacement one higher up into the dotted area so the camera only just shows under the bottom edge of the dotted area. It obviously means the camera being more visible to the driver from inside as it will be around an inch higher up the screen but it means more importantly that it is less visible from the outside of the vehicle. I'll also have to see how the cable looks when in the new position and maybe look at pulling the cable back out so as to get it looking neat again in its new position but i'll see how that goes when after moving the camera. I'll look at doing it over the next few weeks or whenever we get a milder day.

The replacement mount is only £2-odd and should be here today or tomorrow so worked out about the same as just finding somewhere that does the 3m pads on there own etc....

That's where I put mine Dave. You will get used to seeing a little bit of it from driver's side, but from outside you'd struggle to see it. The 3M sticker is also nicely obscured behind the dots, and on mine you'd need to be close and staring at it to notice there was something stuck to the window.

It's also possible to tuck a little bit of cable between the (auto-dimming) rear view mirror mount and the windscreen, to help keep things tidy.

• Like 1

I have the helmet mount ready to go in at the weekend to replace the temporary sucker cup fitting currently in use.

The thing is there has been one or two occasions recently where the camera hasn't started itself, despite me turning on the delayed auto on feature.

This may be due to the 12V - 5V adapter, who knows.

Either way being able to see that the tell-tale red 'recording' light wasn't flashing allowed me to manually turn on the camera by pressing and holding the power button.

I'm now worried that if I use the new helmet mount and hide it all behind the mirror there will always be the niggling doubt in my mind that it isn't recording.

What firmware are you on silver?

To check the voltage on the USB, you could get a voltage doctor delivered for less than £2 - but, to be honest - if I were you I'd stick that £2 toward the £10 for the 12V cigar socket and a 12V cigar-to-USB converter (min 1A).

Mine has been rock-solid since binning that 12V-5V converter.

Edited by JakeBlade
  • Like 1

Yep I'd go for the socket and USB charger too..... Also means if ever the charger goes you just unplug it and plug the replacement in.... No re-crimping etc etc etc.....

I checked mine with the voltage checker and it was at a rock solid 5.02v can't remember the amps the camera was pulling but it was steady and wasn't much as it was obviously fully charged.

Ordered!! Cheers guys.

Which 12V USB adaptors have you gone with, the choice on eBay is overwhelming!

I had to manually turn on the camera again tonight. It seems that if I take too long starting the engine after turning on the ignition it doesn't start.

Edited by silver1011

I went for the low profile one from Amazon as it had good reviews and I already had one I use in the front socket to charge my phone. The link is in my project thread.... At least with Amazon you get the reviews to look at etc.... I'm a prime member too so most of the stuff I order is free next day delivery too. :)

I used a belkin one that I had knocking around. If you are buying from scratch, and you'd like to run a USB extension into the knee-side cubby, then you could get a twin adaptor, or even a triple...http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc[emoji768]-Aluminum-Designed-Smartphones-Bluetooth/dp/B00KGUTB86/ref=sr_1_1?m=AJUR3R8UN71M4&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1424898577&sr=1-1&keywords=Car+Charger

• 2 months later...

Hi Dave, yes I did put it on the 3rd visor section. When I come to sell it I will just leave the sticker mount on there for the next lucky owner. I had read that it may cause problems come removal time, but I wanted something discrete, and as I'm not in the business of testing many different dashcams I decided to risk it - as it's not as if I will be sticking and removing onto that section lots of times.

For the record: I removed the sticker mount this evening. Using a large trim removal tool I was able to remove it quite quickly and cleanly. No residue left on the screen at all, and no problem with the dots on the 3rd visor.

Seems like the 3M sticker just remains a very very very sticky glue, without ever hardening. Can't re-use the mount without a new sticker, but the whole thing is so cheap anyway, might as well buy the whole thing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yep I removed mine shortly after originally fitting so as to move the camera up an inch or two. Had to buy a new mount and no issues with the dots either and mine is a replacement screen I believe as it doesn't say Skoda in the bottom corner.

• 3 months later...