Engine Oil light and bonnet catch sensor

I've read several threads on here relating to bonnet catch sensors and oil lights.

As with other threads the amber engine oil level light came on continuously, I checked it and the oil was low and topped it up to the correct level.

I drove hit home from the garage and noticed the light was still on.  I read the manual again and several of the threads here and noticed that the light gets reset when the bonnet is open for 30 seconds and if the sensors broken the oil light wont clear.

I noticed if I just pop the bonnet (not enough to hit wipers) the wipers work and if I sit in the car with all the doors and boot shut and the bonnet open the open door light doesn't come on.

It sounds to me like the bonnet catch sensor is faulty.  I did read a thread where someone suggested it is possible for a blockage within the engine to cause the light to illuminate but the dipstick look o.k

I've done basic maintenance on cars before, how difficult is it to replace that switch?

Thanks

Martin

Took it into garage and they put diagnostic tester on it and it cleared the light but Im guessing if the oil light comes on again (low oil) Ill have the same problem.

Will need to swap out the bonnet sensor switch

• 10 months later...

Same problem here! Orange oil light on but oil ok ... bonnet catch gunked up ... can I bypass the sensor? If the bonnets open I'll see it! UPDATE! I misunderstood the purpose of this sensor ... disconnected battery for a minute, now fine! Had already added a bit of oil ... about half pint over 2000 miles.

Edited by LeeVanRoth

• 3 years later...

Same subject but I am at a loss to find the part I need to replace.  I have a Skoda Fabia TSI 2010, new shape.  I have only just bought the car but after driving for 100km the oil level light came on, orange.  Form the information on this site, I now know that this is due to the bonnet catch sensor, (the oil level etc is perfect as it's just been serviced).  When I open the bonnet for longer than 30 secs, the light goes out, but it always comes back on again when I next start the car after driving 100km.  When the bonnet is open, the bonnet open warning light does not display inside the car and I can still use my wipers, so I think, (from reading posts on this site), that this all points to the bonnet catch and sensor.

The car is under warranty from the dealer I bought it from but because I don't speak the language sufficiently, they are not understanding that I need a new bonnet catch sensor, and of course after opening the bonnet for 30 seconds the light goes out anyway and they think it's fixed!!!  I note some people have disconnected the battery, but does this re-set the oil level sensor or does the light come back on again after driving 100kms? My question is, exactly what part needs replacing?  Is it the whole bonnet catch?  Does it come with the sensor for the oil level? Anyone have a part number?

Thank you in anticipation

If your car has a factory fitted alarm, the part number of the bonnet latch is 5J0823509A, as far as I can see here (item 27):  https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/fabia/fab/2010-608/8/823-823010/#27 

The actual 'is the bonnet fully shut' sensing element is a microswitch, shown circled in red in the pic below.  Not available separately from the latch, as far as I can see, but looks like it could be removed and another transplanted in, with a bit of cunning or bodgery.  I think the failure here may be wiring problems as well as the switch itself, so have a close look at whatever wires you can get a view of, looking for breakage.

Bonnet latch microswitch.png

Edited by Wino

I wouldn’t assume it’s the switch in the catch. The switch doesn’t set the light off it resets it. By the sounds of it the light is resetting it but whatever is triggering the light remains the issue. Probablyna faulty sensor in the sump but the wiring can come adrift and rub on various components too. 

It wouldn't take much to measure the operation of the switch by operating the latch with  a screwdriver and using a multimeter.

Or just short it out via the plug and see if it makes any difference.

On 20/02/2019 at 14:21, TinaM said:

I have only just bought the car but after driving for 100km the oil level light came on, orange.  Form the information on this site, I now know that this is due to the bonnet catch sensor, (the oil level etc is perfect as it's just been serviced).  When I open the bonnet for longer than 30 secs, the light goes out, but it always comes back on again when I next start the car after driving 100km.  When the bonnet is open, the bonnet open warning light does not display inside the car and I can still use my wipers, so I think, (from reading posts on this site), that this all points to the bonnet catch and sensor.

Well, the bonnet catch is surely 100% OK, when light goes out, 100km is normal distance to activate the oil level light again when sensor mounted on bottom of the sump identify low level of oil ...

Have you really checked the oil level on the oil dip stick? If it is not just a presumption the oil level is perfect as it´s just been serviced, it is the oil level sensor :cool:

I think the Fabia has no open bonnet indication nor front wipers blocation while bonnet open as Octavias have ...

Hi there,

Yes I've really checked the oil level, about 6 times in the 6 weeks I've owned it. Everytime I check it the light goes off but that's only due to having opened the bonnet for longer than 30 seconds. It then comes back on after travelling 100kms.

I believe that it is the bonnet catch sensor as on this model, Skoda linked the oil level sensor into the bonnet catch. I have also been informed that the lack of bonnet open warning light and the wipers still working were a way of identifying that the bonnet catch being the problem because of the sensor. 

In the end, all I want is the oil level light to remain off until I am low on oil. The dealer with whom I have the warranty, are not Skoda dealers and it's become very tedious to keep taking it there and the problem still existing after driving 100kms, as simply opening the bonnet for 30 secs turns out the light!!! Perhaps I should take it to Skoda, but then I'll pay a fortune when the car is under warranty.

8 minutes ago, TinaM said:

I believe that it is the bonnet catch sensor as on this model

I think you're heading for disappointment if you follow that belief. As Tech1e and rayx have pointed out, the very fact that opening the bonnet is resetting the electronics that monitors the oil level sensor means that the bonnet switch must be working.  Do the wipers work on the intermittent setting when the bonnet is not shut fully? That's the only affected mode on my Polo. Are you sure the instrument cluster did at one time warn you if the bonnet was open?

On 20/02/2019 at 17:15, Tech1e said:

I wouldn’t assume it’s the switch in the catch. The switch doesn’t set the light off it resets it. By the sounds of it the light is resetting it but whatever is triggering the light remains the issue. Probablyna faulty sensor in the sump but the wiring can come adrift and rub on various components too. 

14 minutes ago, TinaM said:

Just re-read the responses, so it's likely to be a problem sensor at the bottom of the sump? 

Possibly, but even more likely a problem with the wiring going to that sensor, or the fuse that powers it. I will try to look up which fuse to check, hang on a minute or five.

I've heard of several cases where the one or more wires break close to the connector.

Check fuse 3 in the cabin. Not certain it's that one for your engine, but the first few I've seen are that one. If I knew the engine code of your car it would help me to find the right one, see my signature for how to find that.

Edited by Wino

Guess you're browsing on a phone? Signature is some text displayed below each post, that you can add to display permanent messages. Mine says words to the effect. "Engine code is a great help when diagnosing car problems; you can find it on the data sticker on the boot floor, and maybe also there's a copy in the service book".

• Like 1

Yep, fuse 3; 7.5 amp rated I think, but it looks like it powers a few other things so I think you'd probably have noticed if it was blown. Worth checking though. Bottom row of the smaller fuses, third in from the right.

Crossed out as that description was for RHD; should have said third in from left, top row of smaller fuses, for LHD.

Edited by Wino

Here's an upside down picture of a CBZA sump, with the position of the level sensor ringed in red, if the fuse is OK, check the wiring near the sensor connector next:

Screenshot 2019-02-23 10.00.31.png

Edited by Wino