Briski cyclists?!

samj2013

Has anyone fitted a cassette expander to a road bike? I struggle to get up a 33% incline (cairn o mount) on my current setup of 50x34 at the crank and 11-Speed 11-32T cassette.

12 hours ago, drw8 said:

Has anyone fitted a cassette expander to a road bike? I struggle to get up a 33% incline (cairn o mount) on my current setup of 50x34 at the crank and 11-Speed 11-32T cassette.

I wouldn't bother with an expander, if you are already running 11 speed and you have the capacity in your rear derailleur and do a lot of climbing fit a cyclocross or a mountain bike cassette. They will give you much more even jumps between the gears, an expander usually requires the removal of one of the mid range sprockets to fit.

SRAM do a PG1130 11-36t CX cassette but if you need more than that a Shimano XT 11-40 would be the one however you would probably need a long cage derailleur to use one...

14 hours ago, drw8 said:

SRAM/Shimano/Sunrace all do cassettes that offer lower gear ratio's.   Depending on your gear hanger will depend on what will fit/work.  

It will require a little trial and error to see what will/wont work.

I have an expander fitted to my mtb and I removed the smallest cog of the cassette. The jump isn't that noticeable, but I'd rather have it geared too low so I can carry on pedalling, than struggle or stop.

Is there anyway to calculate the biggest (physically) sized cassette I can fit? The 42t expander on my mtb is near as dammit the same size as the rear 180mm disc.

It's a SHIMANO 105 RD5800GSL 11-Speed rear mech.

10 hours ago, drw8 said:

I have an expander fitted to my mtb and I removed the smallest cog of the cassette. The jump isn't that noticeable, but I'd rather have it geared too low so I can carry on pedalling, than struggle or stop.

Is there anyway to calculate the biggest (physically) sized cassette I can fit? The 42t expander on my mtb is near as dammit the same size as the rear 180mm disc.

It's a SHIMANO 105 RD5800GSL 11-Speed rear mech.

after a quick google, that mech is the long cage and has a total capacity of 37 Teeth, your current setup requires (50-34)+(32-11)= 37 Teeth, I'm afraid you are at capacity on that derailleur. That's not to say giving an expander a go will not work, as long as you are not cross chaining you should be ok going to a 36t sprocket. It's worth a try if you are struggling. The other option would be to try dropping your granny ring down to a 32 or even a 30 tooth, that will give you easier gearing for climbing without sacrificing top speed for the flats and descents.

I am running a short cage 105 mec on the same setup as you. In theory the short cage is not adequate but as long as you dont cross-chain 50-32 (cant think why you would anyway....) then its fine. So for you with a long cage mec a 36 may well work fine provided you arent silly.

In the bad old days 25 years ago when I was a local shop racer, 42/23 was as low as you went. I am amazed my knees stil work :-)

On 21/03/2017 at 18:26, pip_vrs said:

Ended up parking in Castleton, biking to the top of Mam Tor and down into Edale. Then back up Mam Tor and back to Castleton. Didnt really have time to do much else bit weather was awesome bit very very windy.

I recall coming off my bike on the way down from Mam Tor to Barber Booth - had gone through the tight double bend and just going through the gentler next sweeping bends when I car came round on the wrong side of the white line. To be fair I was hanging out to the right of my lane and his wing mirror clipped by handlebars!

2 1/2 hours of some great chilly riding this morning, twice around the loch as a warm up then as easy 6 miles on empty roads to get uphill for a rather quick 1 miles down then 4 miles to get home.

DSCN1933.JPG

DSCN1934.JPG

DSCN1949.JPG

DSCN1953.JPG

DSCN1957.JPG

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 3

Completed the Massif 'Moors and Shores' ride on Sunday. 61 Miles and 4670 ft climbing, but what an awesome route and scenery all off road.

Did it in 5:51:30 averaging something like 10.5mph, I was knackered I'm glad there wasn't any more climbs or distance.

Longest ride on a mountain bike, I was out of place on my 160mm travel full sus, 90% of people were on CycleX bikes wizzing past. (Cheating in my eyes)

Moors-And-Shores.jpg?utm_source=moors-an

• Like 2

This is my main trail bike, a Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29er.

IMG_20170402_131713_096_zpsgqiixpmt.jpg

It has a few tweaks from stock, a 150mm Rockshox Lyrik fork, Stans Flow mk3 rims with Hope Pro 4 hubs, a Hope stem and Easton Haven Carbon bars, it's been converted to 1x10 gearing too. It's a proper ripper, at home putting in big miles or smashing an uplift day.

Oh and I took this photo on Tuesday night, you can't beat a blast on the bike while the sun goes down!

IMG_20170404_195947_975_zpswbngnt9v.jpg

• Like 1

I've booked myself into a B&B on Tuesday in Dolgellau with the plan to ride Llandegla one day and Coed-y-Brenin the other.

The missus isn't happy, but I'm, sure I will be.

• Like 2

Another perfect Spring morning.  

Maybe the calm before the storm on Monday and a good chance of some Lambing Snow....

EDIT.

Well no snow here yet or even that cold, just a lovely Monday morning.

DSCN2180.JPG

DSCN2190.JPG

DSCN2188.JPG

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

There i was happy as Larry pedalling along at about 9mph when i was overtaken by a runner harnessed to 4 dogs.

Only caught him up when we went downhill. 

(waiting for my new Fattie6 being delivered today so next time i might just be able to keep up..)

EDIT,

New bike arrived, just need to change the stem or fit riser bars. Not quite as comfortable as my Fat bike but it is quicker.

DSCN2201.JPG

DSCN2203.JPG

DSCN2229.JPG

DSCN2215.JPG

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 2