Full sized spare, will it fit?

Hi brand new to Skoda and and brand new to this forum I have tried searching for the answer to this question but had no success.

Looking for a new spare wheel to replace the Mickey Mouse Kit I got as standard and was wondering if a full sized 18" 225 wheel would fit in the boot well and still allow the boot floor to sit flush? My car is a 59 plate hatchback with standard 18" wheels.

If not i will just order a space saver.

Please advise

Thanks

P.S. love the car!!

Hi brand new to Skoda and and brand new to this forum I have tried searching for the answer to this question but had no success.

Looking for a new spare wheel to replace the Mickey Mouse Kit I got as standard and was wondering if a full sized 18" 225 wheel would fit in the boot well and still allow the boot floor to sit flush? My car is a 59 plate hatchback with standard 18" wheels.

If not i will just order a space saver.

Please advise

Thanks

P.S. love the car!!

Welcome to the forum and to Skoda, glad you're enjoying it!  You'll find most people on here do too :)  I know it's not that obvious from the title but if you have a look at the current active thread called 'My first combi L&K'  started by Metlovas there is some discussion there on that exact point.  I have a hatch and the 18 doesn't really fit (I have a full sized 16" in the boot) but it seems that there is a bit of a debate around that as you'll see. The wheel might just about squeeze in but then the base of the boot (the carpeted part) may not sit evenly as some commented.  Others seem to have an 18 fit ok but they had estates which may have a slightly different boot well area.

Any tyre is better that those kits however!

No it won't fit.

Cut to the chase.

Strange I am on my 4th Superb, MkII Elegance models, all had 18" wheels. 1 MkII saloon 08 reg, 1 estate 11 reg, 1 Saloon L&K 13 reg, 1 Estate L&K 14 reg. An 18" full size wheel and tyre have all fitted into the whel space perfectly on all of these vehicles, in fact it is the same wheel but new tyre because of age of tyre.  Can anyone explain how a full size wheel has fitted in 4 of my vehicles and other people say it will not fit, have I had a unusual run of Superbs with a different floor pan to all other Superbs?

My thought:

• It will fit if you have the boot with the luggage rails, and without the variable boot floor. In this version the space between the rails is filled with polystyrene foam, about 1" thick. This gives you an extra 1" for your spare wheel.
  • It will NOT fit if you have the variable boot floor.
  • I do not know what the entry level version (without the rails) looks like. If the floor is lowered in that version (so there is no foam polystyreen foam below the boot floor), than the 225mm wide spare will also not fit.

Best reply can be found in the previous post: Try it!

Edited by andrehj

18" themistos won't fit in the boot on a hatchback.

Even though I have a full size spare in my car and it sits in the boot perfectly, the spare rim is narrower I think.

The steel spare wheel has the same rolling radius but is narrower.

I bought a themisto as a spare thinking it would be great to have 5 alloys, however I was gutted when I tried it!!

It went straight back on eBay.

My thought:

• It will fit if you have the boot with the luggage rails, and without the variable boot floor. In this version the space between the rails is filled with polystyrene foam, about 1" thick. This gives you an extra 1" for your spare wheel.
  • It will NOT fit if you have the variable boot floor.

LOL - the mystery continues... I have Superb Estate (Elegance 170 TDI) New Dec 2010 ('60 plate) and I do NOT have the variable floor (Yes I do have the luggage rails) but the 225/40/18 won't fit in mine...

I agree with fofos, best way to find out is to try. 

Rdgs

Stef

Edited by sk8tergirl

• 6 years later...

Old thread, similar question from former member back for more advice .... just bought 2012 MkII SE estate 2.0 Superb. No spare & no kit in the boot. Would prefer full size to space saver. Does anyone know where I can find full size kit (I have 225 40 R18s)? The market seems full of 16" spare kits but no 18 (other than space saver). Why is this such a rare bird?! 

44 minutes ago, alpinehut said:

Old thread, similar question from former member back for more advice .... just bought 2012 MkII SE estate 2.0 Superb. No spare & no kit in the boot. Would prefer full size to space saver. Does anyone know where I can find full size kit (I have 225 40 R18s)? The market seems full of 16" spare kits but no 18 (other than space saver). Why is this such a rare bird?! 

The official Skoda spare is a 205/55/16 94V tyre on a 6Jx16 steel rim. If you want an 18" spare you'll have to find the wheel and toolkit individually.

On 24/06/2014 at 15:02, fofos said:

The best way to find out is to jack your car up and take one of the wheels off and see if it fits in the wheel well.

This is by far the most sensible post in this thread :-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 2012 Elegance 4x4 estate which just has the cruddy liquid stuff. Will an 18" space saver fit as its the 4x4 version? 

I saw one post that said the boot floor is different however it looks doable. 

10 hours ago, s2k_adz said:

I have a 2012 Elegance 4x4 estate which just has the cruddy liquid stuff. Will an 18" space saver fit as its the 4x4 version? 

I saw one post that said the boot floor is different however it looks doable. 

Skoda don't offer an 18" space saver for the Superb, just the 16" one noted above. The standard 7.5x18 wheel with 225/40/R18 usually fits the spare wheel well though if you can find one. 4x4 has the same boot floor as the FWD model.

On 29/10/2020 at 17:48, chimaera said:

Skoda don't offer an 18" space saver for the Superb, just the 16" one noted above. The standard 7.5x18 wheel with 225/40/R18 usually fits the spare wheel well though if you can find one. 4x4 has the same boot floor as the FWD model.

Thank you, I'll get on the hunt for a wheel! 

On 29/10/2020 at 17:48, chimaera said:

I've found some 18" space savers with 125/70/18 on Ebay? Is it definitely a 16" I need? I don't want a different rolling radius as its a 4x4