octavia vrs tsi or bmw 330d

All I can say is having spent a lot of time just now driving the 320d M Sport it has just highlighted to me how much more sophisticated and superior the BMW is, in virtually every area except spaciousness. As has been said, with the discounts that BMW are currently offering the price difference is a lot less than list prices would indicate, particularly where the Octavia VRS is concerned.

You can't judge the merits of car based mainly on prejudice or perceived image, and some of their admittedly moronic drivers. I'm sure there are some bad Skoda drivers out there as well!

And if, as JungleJames is indicating that you can get a Jaguar XF for close to the same money as a VRS then that has to be a total no brainer decision if you need or desire a large car. With the prices of current top of the range Skodas where they now are the competition is much more attractive than it once was.

Edited by Timoctav

And if, as JungleJames is indicating that you can get a Jaguar XF for close to the same money as a VRS then that has to be a total no brainer decision if you need or desire a large car. With the prices of current top of the range Skodas where they now are the competition is much more attractive than it once was.

Cheapest XF (with SatNav as Standard) is coming out at just over £27400 with online broker. With lower spec, you are looking about a grand less.

Cheapest XF (with SatNav as Standard) is coming out at just over £27400 with online broker. With lower spec, you are looking about a grand less.

So let me get this straight... you are comparing the top of the line (be that Elegance, vRS or L&K) Octavia with a bottom of the range XF, and probably others are doing the same with the 3-series?

There may be those that don't mind wood panelling in the Jaaaaaags, but for me it would have to be a Sport at the very least.  Which is considerably more expensive.  As for the 3-series, you really do need to add a lot of options to make it a comparable car - and that pushes up the price considerably, especially given the cost of the BMW Sat Nav systems.

Yes, the top of the line Octavias are not cheap motors, but you can get an Octavia with all its space for a lot less than you can get an XF or a 3-series (or A6 or E-Class or whatever else), or even a Passat estate (I'm ignoring the Golf estate because it's nowhere near as big).

So let me get this straight... you are comparing the top of the line (be that Elegance, vRS or L&K) Octavia with a bottom of the range XF, and probably others are doing the same with the 3-series?

There may be those that don't mind wood panelling in the Jaaaaaags, but for me it would have to be a Sport at the very least.  Which is considerably more expensive.  As for the 3-series, you really do need to add a lot of options to make it a comparable car - and that pushes up the price considerably, especially given the cost of the BMW Sat Nav systems.

Yes, the top of the line Octavias are not cheap motors, but you can get an Octavia with all its space for a lot less than you can get an XF or a 3-series (or A6 or E-Class or whatever else), or even a Passat estate (I'm ignoring the Golf estate because it's nowhere near as big).

1- I have never argued for the 3 series. I think the interior is junk and would never buy one over an Octy.

2- My comparison with the Jag isnt quite as bad as you make out. I compared second to bottom spec XF, with a vRS, which is not a top end spec. Its below the Elegance, but is a fairer comparison with its sporty nature. Now admittedly there are some items the vRS has, which the XF doesnt, but the same is also correct in the opposite direction. Does the vRS have SatNav yet? Its only just picked up cruise control. What about leather seats? Now some may not want an auto box, but remember the XF is auto as standard. So you have to take this into account as well. Also, the interiors. They would have to come into the mix somewhere, and the XF is pure heaven.

I also havent claimed the XF SE Business 2.2D 163 is for everybody. But, I have given examples to show people. That is all i have done, and I believe despite the XF missing some things, the fact it is such a lush interior, and a much nicer ride and drivers car, makes the comparison quite fair. But as i will repeat, that doesnt mean everybody will automatically change.

There may be those that don't mind wood panelling in the Jaaaaaags, but for me it would have to be a Sport at the very least. Which is considerably more expensive. As for the 3-series, you really do need to add a lot of options to make it a comparable car - and that pushes up the price considerably, especially given the cost of the BMW Sat Nav systems.

Can't imagine a 320d msport is much more than an octavia vrs by the time you factor in upto 18% discount from bmw and virtually no discount from skoda. I'm comparing a new 2.0l turbo 217bhp vrs with decent spec (nav, sunroof, electric boot) against a 3.0l 255bhp diesel 8speed automatic 3 series msport estate with a few thousand miles and less than a year old (oh and it has nav which is superior to the skoda columbus). Yes the bmw is second hand but given there a few second hand vrs and any there are have fairly basic spec and only a couple k cheaper than a new one. Given the basic price of a vrs has risen by almost 5k over the old model then my point that their no longer the "bargain " brand is valid and their becoming seriously close to more premium brands. I think the same has happened to seat and vw. Spec a golf gti and it's easy to be over 30k...for a golf ! At least the skoda can boast the best space even against cars in the next sector above. If I could find a second hand vrs with the spec I want then yes, I probably would buy that. Going to wait a bit and see how the prices go for second hand/nearly new octavia.

Oh, and can i mention the apparent better residuals on the Jag.

My comparison really wasnt too far from being very fair. In fact, i think it is fair. Perhaps some dont realise how well specced the Jags are, I dont know.

The main thing i think is missing from said spec Jag, is the fog lights, oh, and does the vRS have Bi Xenons?

Depending on the individual, some will not be worried about this. Certainly if i look at both specs, I actually prefer the Jags spec.

But i will admit i was comparing the price a Jag can be had for, against full list price on the vRS

The best thing about my recent change from a mk 2 vRS to a 335d was that I ordered and had the car within 6 weeks.

No 6mth+ waits thankfully - I'm just not patient enough for that

The lowest quality trim within the VRS has to be the standard boot floor material. It is made from 3mm MDF coated with the cheapest possible carpet (I use carpet for want of a better word), and is flimsy as a wobble board. The boot hatch slams with an extremely tinny feel, as do the rear doors to a lesser extent. The leather seat coverings look and feel low quality, the electric window switches could come from a 90's Golf, and the door bins and lower dash could be from a Korean car. The rest of the VRS is pretty solid, but overall it cannot compete on build quality with.my former 3-year old 3-Series. The BM simply felt better screwed together from nicer materials. The looks are a personal thing, but the quality differences are easy to see and feel.

• Like 1

Im starting to think I must be odd!!

The only one that thought the 3 series had a cheap looking and feeling interior. From the cheap plastic bits i could pull off, to the horrible feeling and looking upper dash.  

Yep, I must be odd! Dont worry, not the first time :D

Although admittedly the Octy could have been a lot nicer in some areas, namely the doors.

• Like 1

The only one that thought the 3 series had a cheap looking and feeling interior. From the cheap plastic bits i could pull off, to the horrible feeling and looking upper dash.  

No, you're not alone.  The 3 series interior is pretty much the same as my 1 series, and I'm not a massive fan of the quality of materials used.  It looks nice, and there are some really nice bits, but the plastics used aren't exactly brilliant.

Having said that, there aren't many cars in the approx. £30k price bracket that have a really good quality interior (in my opinion, of course) - they're nicer than cars that cost £15k, but not as nice as cars that cost £60k.  It's pretty obvious why, though!

No, you're not alone.  The 3 series interior is pretty much the same as my 1 series, and I'm not a massive fan of the quality of materials used.  It looks nice, and there are some really nice bits, but the plastics used aren't exactly brilliant.

Having said that, there aren't many cars in the approx. £30k price bracket that have a really good quality interior (in my opinion, of course) - they're nicer than cars that cost £15k, but not as nice as cars that cost £60k.  It's pretty obvious why, though!

You mean this forum has two odd people now? :D

I dont even think the 3 series looks nice inside though. But hey, being as odd as me was a long shot!!

Reall good quality interior for 30k? Dare i suggest the XF? (I dont work for Jag, honest :D )

I preffer it to a lot of cars that are more expensive.

I also found it unbelievable that with a 320D touring in SE spec, there is no storage for rear seat passengers. No cup holders, no door pockets, no rear pockets in the rear of the front seats..

Steve.

some of the BMW options are ridonkculous.

As you say, storage cubbies, nets etc have to be paid for as "extended storage"

£140 quid for a sliding armrest, which annoyingly can't have it's height altered like in the octavia / golf.

Extended bluetooth - £350 to get emails and texts on idrive screen. I'm about to code it myself - cable cost £20.

Without the sizeable discount, I'd have struggled to justify buying it.

My car history tends to suggest my next car will be a Skoda, so will need to see what's around in 3yrs time. I like flitting between so called "premium" brands and back to Skoda

some of the BMW options are ridonkculous.

As you say, storage cubbies, nets etc have to be paid for as "extended storage"

£140 quid for a sliding armrest, which annoyingly can't have it's height altered like in the octavia / golf.

Extended bluetooth - £350 to get emails and texts on idrive screen. I'm about to code it myself - cable cost £20.

Without the sizeable discount, I'd have struggled to justify buying it.

My car history tends to suggest my next car will be a Skoda, so will need to see what's around in 3yrs time. I like flitting between so called "premium" brands and back to Skoda

love to know how you do that?

love to know how you do that?

You need the right module to code in the first place, then it's not as easy as VCDS !!!

I dont even think the 3 series looks nice inside though. But hey, being as odd as me was a long shot!!

Reall good quality interior for 30k? Dare i suggest the XF? (I dont work for Jag, honest :D )

My 1-series (M Sport) is actually a very pleasant place to be - it's only when you actually stop and look/feel that you notice the poor quality plastics.  I agree that the 3-series doesn't quite pull it off as well (don't know why, it's essentially the same).  And the standard leather is hideous - it's what put me off a 3-series M-Sport touring.

As for the XF, a wood interior is a no-no for me, which (as I said before) means you need the sport version.  But then it's as though it is trying too hard to be the Starship Enterprise.  I don't know, it just doesn't look quite right to me.  The F-Type interior is absolutely gorgeous... but that's considerably more than £30k.

So did anyone actually figure out which model is closet match to a VRS and the cost to buy it new, I had a quick configure and I think you would have to spend at least 36K on a BMW

So did anyone actually figure out which model is closet match to a VRS and the cost to buy it new, I had a quick configure and I think you would have to spend at least 36K on a BMW

That's about right, I think - but the argument is that you can currently get an 18-20% discount on that, which brings it down to roughly the same cost as a no-discount-available vRS.

Reall good quality interior for 30k? Dare i suggest the XF? (I dont work for Jag, honest :D )

The XF interior looked great when it first came out but I think it's looking dated these days. The nav and command screen especially. Think the xf tourer looks great for the outside but don't know if I could bring myself to buy a jag.

I also found it unbelievable that with a 320D touring in SE spec, there is no storage for rear seat passengers. No cup holders, no door pockets, no rear pockets in the rear of the front seats..

Steve.

Admittedly i never got time to look fully at the door or backseat. Id already had enough. But is this serious? No door pockets?

Even the Rapid has cup holders and door pockets! In fact, virtually all cars do now.

Wow. I thought i was odd, but perhaps not