Skoda crashed my car.....

All this talk of using the insurance because the quality of the repair will somehow be better

Rubbish, if anything the insurance are in collusion with the insurance lot and quite happy to have the lowest cost repair done also. So it makes not a jot of difference in my opinion how the work is done.

It would be nice to think that the insurance work towards not being exploited and getting the very best value, but like all large entities (like insurance industry itself) it all gets lost to the bigger picture, their key concern is to profit from selling you insurance and isn't generally based on customer service, its a model based on people shopping about for the cheapest insurance so generally always NEW business.
At the end of the day its YOU that ends up paying through increases to your premiums whenever things get complex (i.e. anything other than a perfect year of accident free insurance)

I certainly wouldn't be wanting to mention it to any insurer, its another party that's fortunate to also be the skoda dealer. I'd get them to repair it and if its substandard your rights are in no way affected as you could go back to them and insist its corrected.

Just for the hassle of having to put it on my insurance quotes for the next X years I wouldn't bother to involve them.

Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

From whats been said I think I'll take my comment back about the insurance route being more tempting. Totally understand what you say in that if I did go that way about it, it would kind of make my car a little more 'known' to insurance companies so to speak.

Have to say i'm a little naive when it comes to things like this. Having never been involved in an accident before *touch wood*, I've never really had to deal with insurance companies other than renewing / taking out new policies each year. Guess that's partly why I'm posting here :)

The point which continues to keep bugging me though is the fact that the inital person I spoke to from Skoda MK said that I could get a quote and get it sorted that way. So I still think a phone call to Skoda UK tomorrow is in order.

After all thats happened and is still ongoing within the last couple of months with my house burglary etc, all i'm after is a little piece of mind knowing my cars in the hands of people who I can trust, and having the convenience of it being a 2 minute walk from where I work. Fingers crossed Skoda see where I'm coming from.

In those circumstances, If it was me, if they didn't do exactly what I wanted / exactly as I said, I'd be in there tearing the place apart.

But that's just me.

(And I'd want a top of the range Superb with free petrol until repairs were done to my satisfaction)

Skoda did something ridiculous to a friend's neighbour's car, wish I could recall the details, something like it falling off the hydraulic lift or the lift not being turned off and the car being crushed against something... they were quite defensive about it. Good luck with getting the right resolution for you, not them.

Been quite an eventful couple of days with this I have to say!

I spoke to Skoda UK on Monday and the chap I spoke to basically stated that he couldn't really push the dealership into having the work done at my local body shop as they had owned up to the damage and were willing to rectify it. He also said as a couple of you mentioned here, that if the work they did wasn't good enough, I could take the case further. After a bit of umm'ing and ahh'ing I gave them the benefit of the doubt and accepted they could carry out the repair, only IF they could collect and return my car to save me the inconvenience of taking time out of work. 
Also managed to get a 2.0 litre diesel Superb out of them with all the added extras as I'm going to be doing a fair number of miles this weekend travelling up north and didn't really fancy doing those distances in a Citigo. Quite impressed with that I have to say! Its bloomin' huge inside! :D

So that turned up today at work, and the driver took mine back to MK.

Got a phone call just before I left work this evening from Skoda MK. They've taken it down to their approved body shop today and there guys have had a proper look and realised the damage was more serious than initially thought. Serious enough in fact that the quote they produced was not far off the quote I received from the guys at RAD! Only problem they had is that they would possibly need the car for 2 weeks due to how busy they were.

So the sales guy from Skoda has now accepted me being able to go to my preferred body shop where I know I can trust whats being done and get it done sooner! Bit of fuel lost carting my car to and from MK, but I got there in the end! :D

Another plus, it also passed it's MOT yesterday! And just to let those people know who may be concerned, I do have projector xenons retro fitted without washers and auto levelling, so still appears to be no issues with those regarding legality ;)

• Like 3

5. If you went through your insurance then it will usually have to go to one of there approved repair centres.. not always the best..

This is not true one bit, insurance companies cannot make you use their approved bodyshop, you can take your car anywhere you like

No shouldn't affect your insurance premium as you're claiming off the skoda dealer's

While I agree with the logic you're wrong. ANY incident that you declare can and usually will be used against you, a recent media report cited a case where someone had £100 added to a renewal price when they mentioned on the phone an incident they hadn't notified the insurance company about as it was very minor and had been resolved privately.

• Like 1

While I agree with the logic you're wrong. ANY incident that you declare can and usually will be used against you, a recent media report cited a case where someone had £100 added to a renewal price when they mentioned on the phone an incident they hadn't notified the insurance company about as it was very minor and had been resolved privately.

Totally right.  In 2005 someone drove into a car of mine while it was parked up and did a runner, needed a new rear quarter and even though it wasn't my fault (I was in bed at the time) my insurance still went up.

My old man had that when a lorry hit his fabia wrecking the rear 3/4 panel etc then drove off! Luckily it was a distinctive colour lorry and it was someone we do contract work for so was easily identified and claimed off their insurance but his still went up!