Hey there guys.

I went to the Goodwood Festival of Speed yesterday. Had an amazing day until I became annoyed at the Skoda stand and noticed their Octavia VRS had a flat bottomed steering wheel!

I ask one of the members of staff if this was just for the demo car and he said that this was on all new models!

I'm hoping I can order one for my car!

Has anyone got a flat bottomed steering wheel or a normal round one?

I received my car last December.

The model you saw was the updated model year 2015, this comes with flat bottomed steering wheel and cruise control as standard.

Personally looking at the pictures I prefer my round wheel, I don't think it looks as good as other VW group cars with flat bottomed steering wheels.

So really this is something the VRS should've had from the beginning! I find that rather annoying.

Not really, Spec changes can happen at a model year change like it did with the flat bottom wheel and addition of cruise control as standard on the vRS it also had a price increase at the same time.

I really like the FBSW, glad mine will have it when it comes. However would not be too upset if it didn't, it doesn't serve any purpose other than aesthetics. Although I do find the 'corners' handy when parking on my SQ5.

Goodwood was awesome (went yesterday).

Few of my pics...

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/josedebardi/slideshow/Goodwood%202014

And a vid;

Didn't get any of the Skoda stand/cars - but given the other stuff present I'm sure I'll be forgiven!

Edited by josedebardi
  • Like 1

One mans necessity is another mans boondoggle. Having owned cars with CC for many years I have used it perhaps 3 or 4 times only on each model (mostly just to test that it works). I rate CC similar to Lane Assist, Front Assist and electrically floding mirrors. I would happily take all of them for free but for me none are worth paying for. As for flat bottomes steering wheels, that's just another personal preference for which I am completely neutral.

Nice to have, but boondoggles for me.

• Like 1

I sat in the one at Goodwood yesterday and as far as flat bottom steering wheels go it's not really that flat......  Maybe they going to flatten it properly for MY16 :D

• Like 2

Is there any practical advantage for having a flat bottomed wheel or is it just a fashion thingy? The only advantage I can see is added kneeroom for people who like to drive in straight lines only.

Is there any practical advantage for having a flat bottomed wheel or is it just a fashion thingy? The only advantage I can see is added kneeroom for people who like to drive in straight lines only.

It's supposed to be to aid getting in/out when the wheel is straight on tiny cockpit'd sports cars - so on the Octy it's a fashion gimmick.

I have one on my MR2 as I couldn't heel/toe when braking for corners (which you only do in a straight line) with the stock round one. But that is a tiny cockpit'd sports car so...

N.B. The MR2 is my track car, I don't heel/toe on the road (very often ;) )

Edited by josedebardi