service oil light on at 9530 miles

Seems a bit soon to me especially as I've only ever done long motorway journeys  from new ( superb 2 litre 140 s man )

Edited by peterposh

Normally they are all set to the variable servicing setting at the factory. The dealer should establish from the 1st owner what type of driving they will be doing and select the correct servicing regime as part of the pdi, but many don't. Depending whether you have maxidot or not the owner can change the service interval from variable to fixed, but can't change it back again. Only the dealer or someone with vcds can do this IIRC.

HTH

That doesn't seem excessive if you were on fixed.  I'm on fixed and I get it done at 15k kms which is pretty much your mileage.  I would get a reminder on the maxidot at about 1,000 kms beforehand.  Obviously check with your dealer whether its on fixed/variable as mentioned above.

You will have about 500 miles once the alarm mileage hits zero, my dealer service manager tells me.

If you are on 3 years free service contract, then the dealers service engineers set your car to a fixed 10000 miles ,even if the service book says your car is a variable service vehicle.

So on average that's 3 services during the contract period.

That interesting, is this another inconsistent policy action by Skoda and it's dealers ?

Do you have free service plan?

Two options:

Fixed intervals = 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is reached first.

Variable intervals = upto 20,000 miles or 24 months. The car measures the viscosity of the oil, number of cold starts, journey times etc. and decides for itself when it needs fresh oil.

Fixed is recommended for low annual mileage, regular short journey's or high loads (regular towing) etc. 

Variable is designed for fleet managers to keep running costs down and is recommended for high / motorway mileage only.

• Like 1

The prudent changes it at 10K anyway,

Ok they say you don't have to but all the LL schedule is about is to entice fleet managers who don't care that the dead oil could cause early failures at 50K+ cars long gone by then and they are only looking for profit margins,

On the other hand I don't think it's the oil, it's the filter that's crucial imo, as it ages it restricts flow and thats what does the damage.

Just picked mine up (2.0 TDI CR 170 Elegance Estate DSG) and arranged for fixed instead of variable. The way I drive - they would'nt see it until mid 2016!

No service plan arranged by me, I'm just getting it serviced when it notifies me. This is what I've done with the mondeos , they notify around 12.5 k miles

12.5K miles is too many miles for a VW group car, for fixed interval servicing the mileage is approximately 9,600 miles. The ECU works in KMS internally and the figure 15000 kms for fixed servicing.

All current Skoda models are set to variable servicing at the factory, this means that the car decides when it wants an oil change as mentioned by silver1011 above. The 2 years and approx 18,600 miles is the absolute maximum allowed, and if the car is approaching either of these without a service then it will trigger the notification.

A dealer can freely change a car between variable and fixed servicing, used to happen a lot as it means more money for the dealer (more profit) in the long run.

I've run all my VAG cars on variable and never had an issue with any of them. 55K in a MK1 Octy vRS, 99K in a MK2 Octy 2.0PD, 44K in a MK2 Superb 2.0PD and my current Audi V8 is on 133K miles and about to have its 7th Service.