Wonky steering wheel and very slight vibration

When the wheels on my 09 Vrs are straight, the steering wheel is at a slight angle and not straight. When I reach speeds of 70mph+ I get a very slight vibration and I mean very slight, most people probably wouldn't even notice it, but I do.

The tyres seem to have even tyre wear, but I've only just bought the car and don't know how long they've been on there. There are however 3 different brands on the car, 2 different ones on the rear.

Do you think a for wheel alignment would resolve the issue?

Ta

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

When the wheels on my 09 Vrs are straight, the steering wheel is at a slight angle and not straight. When I reach speeds of 70mph+ I get a very slight vibration and I mean very slight, most people probably wouldn't even notice it, but I do.

The tyres seem to have even tyre wear, but I've only just bought the car and don't know how long they've been on there. There are however 3 different brands on the car, 2 different ones on the rear.

Do you think a for wheel alignment would resolve the issue?

Ta

The highlighted point may have something to do with it.

• Like 1

As above plus I'd suggest you get the tracking checked as it could have been put out hitting a pothole etc. The slight vibration could be due to the tyres or you could need a wheel rebalancing. Might be worth getting the steering/suspension checked to make sure there's no play anywhere, which again could give you some vibration. Most tyre places would inspect it FOC for you too.

HTH

Ade

I absolutely hate cars with mis-matched tyres.  I have walked away from cars I was considering buying due to a mix of tyre brands.  Dealers replacing one oe more tyres with the cheapest tyre they can buy seems a major source of cars for sale like this.  If all 4 tyres are not identical and the seller is not prepared to change them then I deduct the cost of replacement tyres from what was going to be my top offer.   I always swap my tyres around so that all 4 need replacing at the same time to ensure the next set are totally matched - same brand and same tread pattern.

• Like 1

When I went to view the car, it only had 2 different makes, I only notice they had change a tyre a few weeks later. Cheers for the response's

tire balancing + 4 wheel alignment required: )

^ +1

Make sure your wheel is straight after. They can align it all nicely with the wheel still off centre.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The plot thickens! Whilst cleaning the car yesterday, I noticed something strange...... There's a different wheel on the front nearside!

I noticed the tyre had changed from when I first viewed it, but hadn't noticed the wheel was wrong. It's got 1 pre facelift wheel.

The garage I bought it from are very apologetic and are going to get another wheel for me. They mentioned they had to change a tyre for it's MOT, but I think they just popped a spare wheel on instead

I have a 2010 vRS. The tyres are good and I've had a four wheel alignment but steering wheel lies slightly to the left. At one point during my wheel alignment saga it was straight but the front tyres wore out after c5000 miles because the alignment was still out. I just live with it now.

If the wheels are aligned correctly by a compentant fitter then the first thing they do is to clamp the steering wheel straight. then align the wheels. So you end up with everything true.Two correct wheels ( the same) with matching tyres properly balance should be your first priority.

tire balancing + 4 wheel alignment required: )

Definitely +1 for this.

When I got my first Mk2 it had 2 different makes of tyre and it was horrible!!

Got 4 the same and had them balanced and aligned - drove like a dream :)

Just waiting for the garage to get back to me about a replacement wheel, then it'll be off for a 4 wheel alignment