Fitting OEM roof bars on Mk2 Hatch...

Hey guys,

I'm really hoping someone can help. I bought some OEM roof bars for my Mk2 Octavia hatch but they didn't come with any instructions or torque wrench tool. I've got a key and 'opened them up' and everything looks ship shape...

tydazera.jpg

ru2y2ura.jpg

dy8ahyne.jpg

zu2y7apa.jpg

I'm trying to work out how to attach them to my car, and also not cause any damage to my car...! I bought these second hand and they look in good condition. However, from the pictures is there anything glaringly obvious missing?! I know they don't have rubbers but I'm assuming the fixings in the gap where rubber should be are so that a roof box or similar could be attached?

I just can't see how metal on metal won't cause damage to the paintwork on the car?! I think the tip I've been given regarding tightening without the torque tool is to tighten with my weaker left hand...!

But basically just need some advice on fitting and what tools, what goes where and how would be amazing as we're off on holiday soon...!

Thanks in hope :)

I am afraid your suspicions are correct. It's metal on metal and yes you will eventually lose some paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im looking to get some of these too soon and are really metal to metal or are there some pads missing from this i can believe skoda would sell oem product that would damage the paint work ???????????????????????????????????

I've got Thule - The part that touches the roof is covered in rubber, the underside with the pin is metal.

The underside part does not damage or really touch the paint.

Worst part is getting the tab with the pin flush enough to the body, as when you shut the door it can damage the rubber seal as the door nips it.

• Like 1

im looking to get some of these too soon and are really metal to metal or are there some pads missing from this i can believe skoda would sell oem product that would damage the paint work ???????????????????????????????????

Xander sorry to have alarmed you! However I've just checked over them again and it would appear that mine indeed do have rubber! If you look at picture 2, the plate at the bottom with the 2 screws/nuts either side is wrapped in a tough rubber at the bottom which I assume now is the part that makes contact with the car...! So panic over on that side of things.

So now I know that, how do I actually fit them?!?! As you can tell I'm not an awfully DIY type person...!

Thanks for any help :)

I had a similar fitting set on my Volvo. I cut up an old bicycle inner tube and made some extra pads to put under the feet. I also tried covering the paint where the feet sit with strips of insulation tape with success.

• Like 1

Worst part is getting the tab with the pin flush enough to the body, as when you shut the door it can damage the rubber seal as the door nips it.

I've got the Thule bars and have this issue. Both front door seals are now ripped where it meets the bracket from the roof bars. Have tried refitting them on a few occasions but still the same issue. Interestingly no issues with the rear doors. I will add I rarely remove mine.

Mmmm, having issues...

9eva7ara.jpg

yhypy9ev.jpg

a5u5e7e6.jpg

yhu7u6at.jpg

ypudyqy8.jpg

One side is flush and snug against the crease in the roof and the other side is about 5mm away?! It's definitely the right bar the right way round. I'm going to cut some rubber pond liner to shape and place around the metal piece so that should hopefully prevent any damage there. It's weird how it doesn't line up though?! And I'm just guessing re the tightening up of the bolt, doing it tight enough so the bar doesn't slop around! And it whistles, by god does it whistle!! But I think that's the gap on the top of the car which will have a roof box on soon and I'll tape the exposed bits.

I think I'm there, it's just I don't get why it's not symmetrical and I'm cautious about damage by over tightening and being in wrong position...