problem with ignition on a hot day!

Has anyone else had a problem with not being able to turn the key in the ignition on a hot day. I think it might be to do with the steering lock, usually a wiggle of the wheel enables me to turn the key but the other day it just wasn't working. Any advice?

Same here, only on hot days. Has been doing it since brand new. Was thinking about taking it to the dealer when it was still under warranty, but as I gradually realised how useless their mechanics are, I decided I wouldn't let them touch it and just live with it.

As has been said already, just needs a bit of a wiggle.

I think it is the normal way that the lock works. When the steering wheel is locked (the famous click after removing the key and slightly move the wheel) it is normal to slightly shake the wheel in order to turn the key. My father's 1978 Seat 124DLS did it, my brother's 2006 Seat Ibiza does it, my previous 2001 Octavia 1.6 and 2006 1.2 12v Fabia did it as well as my latest Skoda Roomster 1.2 Tsi 77kw

Edited by stratosg

...usually a wiggle of the wheel enables me to turn the key...

No offence intended but is this your first car? That's been the case on every car I've owned, regardless of temperature. Shouldn't be anything to worry about I don't think.

On this occasion, this is actually irrelevant to the steering lock. I always park my cars with the steering wheel dead straight, and certainly in the Fabia, the steering lock is never engaged at that position. On hot days, the extra heat must be causing something to expand inside the ignition barrel (obviously a design fault), making it rather stiff when you try to turn the key. On normal (well, cold here in Britain) days, it's never an issue, at least not in my Fabia.

I just wiggle the key for a bit (not the wheel) and eventually it will free up.

Sometimes, when it's really hot outside, it can be very stubborn. You just have to wiggle it a bit harder. The key, that is...

I may have mis-read your post. Are you saying the wiggle didn't work? In which case my apologies.

Apology accepted :) 

I shall continue to do as FAB59 suggests and just persevere in my wiggling of the wheel and key. (It hadn't ever really bothered me that much until my boss borrowed my car one very hot day and couldn't get the key to turn at all!)

Thanks everyone.

Has anyone else had a problem with not being able to turn the key in the ignition on a hot day. I think it might be to do with the steering lock, usually a wiggle of the wheel enables me to turn the key but the other day it just wasn't working. Any advice?

Yes on my 59 plate Fabia Estate I had exactly the same problem when I picked it up as a Skoda approved used car. The key would not operate the ignition switch easily. Felt like it would not turn at all sometimes and on one occasion I could not start the car. Later on when the interior of the car had cooled down, it turned much more easily, but was never great. If you continue to use the lock like that it will eventually damage the discs in the lock, and/or the key, and you will need a new ignition switch. However, it was not the steering lock and rarely is. It's the discs inside the ignition switch. They needed lubricating as sometimes they can stick. Your ignition switch collects all sorts of debris over time, including fluff, dust, bit's of zinc and tin from the keys and this gets into the slots where the discs operate inside the barrel. This make the discs stick especially when the car is hot inside. The ignition switch is self lubricating normally but sometimes after a bit of use it needs some help. CURE: before you do this if your car is under warranty you may want to take it to your garage to have this done just incase of any consequences afterwards, but that's unlikely. Many garages won't charge you for this if you know them. Generally it's not good to go willy nilly spraying things into the ignition switch and you do so at your own risk, please bear that in mind. As a keen biker I do this on many machines as it's very necessary. Bike ignition switches tend to get quite dirty over time and I've never had any bad consequences. However, in reality it's ok to squirt some small amount of WD40 or other NON-OILY lubricant into the ignition switch. Do not use anything like 3 in 1 oil. It will bugger up the ignition lock as it dries out causing the discs inside the lock to stick and you'll be back to square one. But go easy with whatever you use. Not too much, you don't want the barrel full of WD40 incase it leaches out onto something electrical. You want it to evaporate quickly after application.  But WD40 has a zero capacity to conduct electrical power so it's pretty safe.  Put some on the key also. Then push and pull the key in and out of the ignition and start the car. Mine was really bad and WD40 cured the problem, lubing and washing out the debris from the discs in the barrel; the ignition is like new again. That was a year ago and no repartition. Incidentally, the dealer will normally do the same thing as a test to see if the discs are damaged. If after WD40 it's still the same you may need a new key or switch. Also you may like to test your car's second key before doing the above to make sure it's not some problem with your normal key that you use.  Good luck!

Edited by Estate Man

Estate Man said -

" However, in reality it's ok to squirt some small amount of WD40 or other NON-OILY lubricant into the ignition switch."

This is good advice -

when steering locks first appeared on the motor scene - all manufacturers went to great lengths to advise their franchises that in NO circumstances should oil be used to free off a 'stiff lock system.

Ok, the fluid spray is a little better as it distributes the lubricant just a little better than the powder. But not good in an ignition switch due to possible conductivity issues. GT85 or WD40 is best.  Graphite fluid spray can be used ok on the door locks etc. Glad you raised that issue np. 

I had a similar situation for a while a few years back. Students struggled to start the car even though I had the "Knack".  On getting it serviced, I asked the dealer to look at it and first time, I think they just "Forgot" but on my return, they used a small tin of lock lubricant and its been no problem ever since. I think it was tight and after lubing, loosened up a little over time. However, a squirt at service time will keep any future problem at bay, methinks!