hi there

vrsestateni

new to the whole vw scene coming from Honda type r ect. but after driving a few vw group cars I have decided to switch.

all being well I pick up my new 09 Octavia estate vrs petrol next Friday. any tips on what to look for? also dealer says it does not need a timing belt

as it has a chain. is this true? car has 47000 miles on it

cheers

scott

Welcome to Briskoda, Scott. Your new car has a 2.0TSI engine with a timing chain so the dealer is right. Check that the car has a full service history including brake fluid changes, and that rear tyre wear is even. The latter can suffer from sawtoothing if the rear suspension alignment is out.

thanks dgw. the chain gives me a bit more piece of mind I think. although I have seen a lot of articles about faulty tensioners or is this reguading a different engine. also I take it the rear suspension can be realigned if it is out.? car has pretty new tyres so hard to tell

thanks

scott

thanks dgw. the chain gives me a bit more piece of mind I think. although I have seen a lot of articles about faulty tensioners or is this reguading a different engine. also I take it the rear suspension can be realigned if it is out.? car has pretty new tyres so hard to tell

thanks

scott

Welcome, Scott.

Yes, the engine type in your car is one that has been affected by timing chain tensioner failures. Take a look here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20tsi-engine-failures/

There is information, help and advice on warranties etc, in that thread. Don't let the failure stories frighten you, failures are rare in relation to the number of engines out there. My car has the same engine as yours with the original tensioner design, and it's not something that I'm overly concerned about. However it's worth having a read so that you've got the full picture.

Regarding the rear tyre wear, if you find that your car suffers from it, then yes you can have a 4 wheel alignment done. I had mine done soon after I bought it.

Most of all, enjoy the Octavia, they are great cars.

thanks guys at least its good to hear from a few people who have been enjoying their cars. it is coming with a 1 year skoda warranty so hopefully should be all good. will get the parts

changed for uprated or revised just before the warranty is up.

• 3 weeks later...