1.4 TSI Twincharger Engine Failures, Skoda, VW, Seat, Audi.

If you have a Fabia Mk2 Fabia vRS Twincharger, or some of the other Sister cars,

Mostly 2009-2012 CAVE, but also early 2012-13 CTHE.

Customer Services in the UK for Volkswagen Group Brands,

especially Skoda UK Customer Services will tell you that the Problem is overblown on the Internet.

The Call Handler or a Dealership Employees will possibly tell you that there is no real problem

& a Modification to the Breather Pipe & Valve, along with a ECU update will resolve the issues.

The truth of the matter is, there was Faults in the Design, Manufacturing, Quality Control of Parts & the Engine Management of

many of the 1,800 or so 180 ps CAVE Engines in the vRS, That is UK Registered numbers.

&

also the 3,000 or so Sister cars engines in the Seat Ibiza Cupra from 2009, VW Polo GTI  from 2010

and still quite amazingly after they knew the failure rate before introduction, the Audi A1 185 ps from 2011.

* Obviously there are the same engines failing in cars in other Countries & World Regions.*

So just a Heads Up if you have a car, possibly now out of the Original Manufacturers Warranty or which will be soon.

You are not alone,

Many of the engines have failed, many have been replaced, and some replacements have been replaced.

* So remember to mention to the Person that says it is Overblown, 'Go do your Research, & get on with resolving the Issues with my car.'

AFTER ALL, THE VOLKSWAGEN GROUP HAVE KNOWN FOR 5 YEARS NOW, & STILL MAKE OUT TO OWNERS IT IS NOT A MAJOR ISSUE.

That is why the Engines were revised in 2012, with new Components & Engine Management.

http://a1-forum.co.uk/a1forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30465

http://a1-forum.co.uk/a1forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10767

You can find very similar posts on VW, Seat & various other forums, but this is not some Internet Myth, it is only the tip of the Iceberg.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

THIS DOCUMENT IS FROM 'REVO' & SORRY THIS IS THE ONE I HAVE TO LINK.

BUT IT IS THE ONLY LIST OF THE POSSIBLE & COMMON FAULTS THAT I KNOW OF.

BECAUSE THE VOLKSWAGEN GROUP HAVE NEVER ACCEPTED OR ADMITTED TO ACTUAL ENGINES THAT THEY DESIGNED AND MANUFACTURED THAT ARE FAILING IN QUITE HIGH NUMBERS.

• Like 2

All I will say is currently the Fabia II section is a very depressing place to be. Granted there are problems and it's a bit like A&E where there will always be sick people but it does seem relentless. I understand owners want answers (as I did) but it seems every thread is about it, threads get bumped and rebumped so everyone is aware, etc. The whole section is full of it with very little positive discussion.

Absolutely!

Revo's advice that you shouldn't tune a faulty engine is so blindingly obvious that anyone who doesn't think of it deserves whatever consequences they suffer.

Stick to FACTS, not opinions or rants about Skoda, VAG and dealerships.

The REVO linked article is not linked for the blindingly obvious. 'Do not tune a faulty engine.'

It is linked as i thought was 'blindingly obvious' to anyone with an ounce of common sense to show the engines and various common faults,

on the engines that may have faults, & that may be present in standard engines as built at the Volkswagen factory 2009 to 2013.

So design.parts.and quality control from the factory.

My 'Fail', sorry for not giving thought of catering for the, 'none as blind as those who refuse to see'.

Absolutely!

Revo's advice that you shouldn't tune a faulty engine is so blindingly obvious that anyone who doesn't think of it deserves whatever consequences they suffer.

Stick to FACTS, not opinions or rants about Skoda, VAG and dealerships.

Did you just quote here something from completely different thread or am I seeing things here??

That REVO sheet has nothing to do with tuning advice but merely lists twincharger issues, that is the one of the two things blindingly obvious here.

The other one is that you are pal hell bent on trolling around here at all costs. Please stop that or you will be in trouble with mods here.

Hi

Received my BLUESPARK  Box today. Fantastic service . Couldn't wait to fit it, BUT... I can't identify the MAP & BOOST plugs & sockets in my engine. The layout of the supplied diagram seems different to my engine, & being a photocopy isn't all that clear anyway.

If any member who has fitted one to a vRS CTHE engine can maybe post some better instructions or even some pics, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks Del

Hi

Received my BLUESPARK  Box today. Fantastic service . Couldn't wait to fit it, BUT... I can't identify the MAP & BOOST plugs & sockets in my engine. The layout of the supplied diagram seems different to my engine, & being a photocopy isn't all that clear anyway.

If any member who has fitted one to a vRS CTHE engine can maybe post some better instructions or even some pics, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks Del

Hi Just realised I've posted this in the wrong section. If I can't even get that right what chance have I got in fitting the flaming thing?. Walking disaster that's me.

Have reposted it in correct section.

• 9 months later...

I know there are some Briskoda Members currently driving for 600-700 miles to do a 'Official Oil Consumption test',

with cars recently purchased from Skoda Dealerships as Skoda Approved Used Cars.

I am just bringing this forward again so you know the situation when the car goes back in to get the Oil Dropped & Weighed 

& the Consumption Calculated.

If they sold you a bad one, maybe best to reject it now rather than have them making attempts at solving the issue 

with Oil Spray Jets, Breather Pipe / Valve & ECU Updates etc.

If the Engine needs replaced and you are happy with that, maybe have them do that.

Fitting the latest version of the engine they managed to improve the design of.

• Like 1

Do owners having a fix mod - currently Squirters. get an extension to their warranty ? As how much INTERNAL damage has been done prior to the FIX.

How can Skoda UK or VAG in general know. 

Think I would  be asking for a WARRANTY extension, as a minimum!

They are not random bumps.

Members PM & Email each other with the ongoing issues and dealings with Skoda UK, Skoda Australia and 

Dealerships.

Stuff they do not want to put on the Open Forum, and they ask advice and information.

You are not in the loop but if you ever have a Twincharger and problems feel free to just shout online,

maybe someone will assist you.

Like happened when you started asking about the Mk2 Fabia vRS on here, and on other forums.

PS 

I have had Toyotas and am on the biggest forum for those as well.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Yet another random bump criticising the vRS - God help us, why don't you invest in a Toyota? They seem to be everything you crave.

I think he is critical of the manufacturer's responses more than just a criticism of the vRS. His view is shared by many owners who have actually had to deal with how the VW group responds to issues with respect to twinchargers in various states of tune.

Gathering information helps actual owners as opposed to going to a dealer unaware of what might really be going on and what options are available. Dealers thrive on customers not knowing enough particularly when things break out of warranty.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi I am a Ibiza cupra 2010 owner with the CAVE engine and am guessing mines just out of warranty. It's currently drinking oil around a litre every 900 miles and from my research mine needs the oil spray mod and software update but I really don't want to pay for this. Any advice on what I need to do to get seat to complete the work?

Hi I am a Ibiza cupra 2010 owner with the CAVE engine and am guessing mines just out of warranty. It's currently drinking oil around a litre every 900 miles and from my research mine needs the oil spray mod and software update but I really don't want to pay for this. Any advice on what I need to do to get seat to complete the work?

Unless your car has had an extended warranty then I would assume it is about 2years plus out of warranty.

So your first move would be to raise a goodwill claim with Seat CS UK.

Does Your car have a FSH with a Seat dealership.? Stamped Service book in line with he service schedules.

What mileage has it done?

Write and e-mail via the Seat website CONTACT page.

Explaining your situation and point out that you are aware that VAG (VW,Skoda Audi) have been employing a "Squirter" fix at no cost to owners.

Take copy of this communication and give it to your service dealership.

You should get a Case No reply from Seat CS as your history file record.

This is the start of the process.

Edited by vrskeith

Car has 47k on came with no handbook just a print out of work done on last 5 year all seat. Had misfire problem in April and had work done be seat totalling 2k but says cash 0 so am guessing this was under warranty? I bought the car in the July privately.

Thanks will be contacting them this evening explaining this. Still waiting of a reply from last week by email I think I will be ringing them. thanks for your help

The last service was 37 so is basically due now. Would this affect my claim if i hadn't services it with seat recently?

They will always try and use something that weakens your case against a Goodwill claim.

They all try it on within VAG .

Was seat in Birmingham and was new Pistons, plugs, gasket etc (sorry not that good with mechanics" as one of the cylinders had misfired. I can email pics of the invoice to someone if they can help me?

Should I contact seat Birmingham and ask?

Car has 47k on came with no handbook just a print out of work done on last 5 year all seat. Had misfire problem in April and had work done be seat totalling 2k but says cash 0 so am guessing this was under warranty? I bought the car in the July privately.

Thanks will be contacting them this evening explaining this. Still waiting of a reply from last week by email I think I will be ringing them. thanks for your help

So the Printout you have, is printed by Seat on their headed paper as a service record?

If not, what is on their records against your car's Reg /Vin

• Like 1

Yes from what I can see at 40k it had misfire work done 100% seat document. Doubled checked says signed for and paid cash so am guessing it wasn't done under warranty. So could I use this to back my claim up? Basically say that after 8k (car currently on 48k) the engine isn't working correctly?