Misfiring Fabia Monte1.2 TSI 105ps

Afternoon folks.

My Fabia (62 plate) felt a bit rough on the way home from work on Friday but I never gave it much thought since it seemed to get me home ok. Local run around on Saturday morning was ok too. Tried to get to work this morning and problems started.

I had about 80 miles worth of fuel in the tank so I stuck £25 of BP unleaded in. Within half a mile of the garage, the EPC light was on my dash and my car felt like it was trying to stall. The exhaust warning light flashed a few times but went off and I was able to nurse the car home as I was only about a mile and a half from my house.

Skoda Assist came out, ran diagnostics but couldn't find an error. The error codes had reset themselves. The guy took it for a test drive with me and it felt stutter when cold but the fault didn't re-occur (it was maybe a 5 mile test) so he advised running it a little bit longer and if it happened again then taking it to a dealer.

Hour later and I test it longer. Again within 5 minutes of leaving the house I've got a shuddery engine, the EPC warning light and what feels like misfiring at low speeds. I tried it in low gear/high revs and higher gear/lower revs but the problem persisted. It also started stuttering when I parked up and sat idling for a few minutes. I turned the engine off and on again and on restarting the engine, the EPC light has switched off again.

I know its not a great description but it definitely feels like it's thinking about stalling and even when I'm running at up to about 40/45, it feels like it's skipping a beat. Got up to 55 and it didn't feel any worse. I'm dreading trying to get the car to a main dealer - theres a dealer in Glasgow (Henrys) that's not too bad for getting home from but I bought my car from Parks (Hamilton) and I'm a good 50 miles away should I need to get home.

Hi

My car is a fair bit older than yours (2010 1.2 tsi DSG) and is out of warranty.  A month ago the car went into limp mode with symptoms similar to yours - EPC light and TCS on.  It would reset briefly following ignition off but reappear again immediately.

Recovery service diagnosed a misfire, but couldn't fix it at the roadside. To cut a long story short, replacement of the HT leads solved the problem.  Seems the newer versions of the 1.2 tsi have a modification which includes a ribbed sleeve for each of the leads as they go over the rocker cover.  Apparently the heat from the engine cause the leads to break down.  My car has done fairly high mileage though (approx. 52K at time).

There are a few links to problem here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266649-car-judders-and-epc-light-comes-on/

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/273839-tsi-ht-lead-failure/

Not sure if your car has the mod, but if not then this might be worth checking out?  My dad has a 13 plate with same engine and his has the modified leads.

In retrospect I had begun to notice a slight 'hesitation' at idle for a few months before the breakdown, but didn't really think it a problem!

Hope you get yours sorted.

Mike

• Like 1

Hope you get sorted. This stuff is all good information, I just went out and checked mine (2010 model) and I indeed have the old HT cables but haven't done 18,000 miles yet.

It would  be interesting to hear from anyone who have a higher mileage on these leads and whether they have had problems?

Might be worth checking the plugs are all in good order, as well as the ht leads. Your car will still be under warranty though so best to get Skoda to honour the warranty and get them to check for the problem. I know when my son's Ibiza had a problem similar to this it turned out to be the HT leads, a good quality set of leads (and plugs for his own piece of mind) later and the car was running fine.

You could/ should push Skoda UK to provide a courtesy car due to the distance away from the garage, in fact they should arrange one for you anyway due to inconvenience. Beware though if you go back to Parks Skoda in Hamilton that the service manager is likely to tell you the same as he told me- No, you can't have one - courtesy cars are at a premium. Which is why it might be better to involve Skoda Customer Services as they might have a word with Gordon at Parks.

I'm assuming you don't want to go to AC Linwood Skoda? It is nearer for you than a trek to Hamilton. 

I expect to read a thread on FF about this soon suggesting that some nugget on the skoda forum had the neck to suggest you use AC...

I'd rather eat my own nether regions than go to AC Linwood :D

I work in the same building as the passport office so it'll be dropped off at Henrys first thing tomorrow morning. I can get the train to work for a couple of days. If its going to take longer then I'll push for a courtesy car.

There's already a thread on FF, started by a chap with a fondness for pastry-based consumables who's no fan of Linwood AC  :devil:

• Like 1

I'd rather eat my own nether regions than go to AC Linwood :D

I work in the same building as the passport office so it'll be dropped off at Henrys first thing tomorrow morning. I can get the train to work for a couple of days. If its going to take longer then I'll push for a courtesy car.

There's already a thread on FF, started by a chap with a fondness for pastry-based consumables who's no fan of Linwood AC  :devil:

I know about the thread on the world's greatest football forum, and I know about your past problems with the sales folk of AC which is why I was laying a bit of bait out to see how long it would take for you to bite. :devil: Arnold Clark has its own fan club on FF lol.

Hopefully Henry's get to the bottom of it quite quickly and you are back up and running in no time. Remember to come back and update once problem diagnosed.

And as said elsewhere, the help you will receive here from much more experienced car guys than me will be invaluable to you, as it has been to me in the short time I've been a member on here.

• Like 1

Our Monte TSI 86 came off the line in mid November 2012 and I believe she was built just after the new HT leads became standard as a factory fit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16833836@N08/8503549778/in/set-72157635334554774

It's usually lead 3 that causes the issues (second from right in pic), as it sits right behind the exhaust cat converter.

TP

• Like 2

Just had a call from the garage. There was a misfier in cylinder 1. Couldn't find a mechanical cause but they did find an error with my engine management software. They've done a software update and it seems to have sorted the misfire.

I'll give it a good test run home.

I picked up my car and drove it home. Felt punchier following the software update and I made it home without any warning lights but there were a few occasions I thought I felt a judder. I'll give it another day or two to run my fuel through and maybe stick some premium in it. If it's still problematic by the end of the week, I'll start again.

How many miles has your car done.

No idea on the Service Schedule for spark plug change on your car but i suspect it is 40,000 miles.

They may need checked.

(vRS ones have a 40,000 mile service interval but some cars have 1 failing plug at half that mileage.)

Have you considered going and filling your petrol tank at another filling station just incase the BP fuel had some issues,?

it is not unheard of.

How many miles has your car done.

No idea on the Service Schedule for spark plug change on your car but i suspect it is 40,000 miles.

They may need checked.

(vRS ones have a 40,000 mile service interval but some cars have 1 failing plug at half that mileage.)

Have you considered going and filling your petrol tank at another filling station just incase the BP fuel had some issues,?

it is not unheard of.

23000 on mine so nowhere near the 40k for a spark plug change.

The fuel thing is my plan for tomorrow. Different garage. Different brand. Premium unleaded. See if that helps.

'Premium Unleaded'.   Do you mean like Shell, Esso etc,  Branded & costs more.?

You used BP, & the car started running badly,

you might as well use Asda, Sainsbury, Tesco or any other 95 ron that is used day in and out.

Might be worth a try of Tesco Momentum 99 for the extra 5 pence a litre, just to see if a full tank has it running fine.

Full tank of V power 97.

100 miles of mixed driving with ongoing misfire problems over the course of 2 days.

End result? EPC warning light, exhaust warning light and a massive loss of power to the point where the engine felt, and sounded, like a ride-on lawnmower. Thankfully the power went as I was coming up to traffic lights and it was reasonably quiet. I was able to turn off the main road. The engine struggled to hit 10-15mph and even idling when I parked up, it sounded like it was desparate to stall. Horrible popping/tapping noise when idling too.

It just about gave up about 3 miles from my garage so after waitin a couple of minutes for the engine error codes to reset, I was able to nurse it to the dealer. I've got a Rapid as a courtesy car.

Coil packs.

Garage reckon it's the coil packs that have caused my misfire problems and are replacing them now. Car may have been ready for this evening but I'm keeping my courtesy car overnight rather than hanging about or rushing things and I'll pick it up at some point tomorrow, as well has handing the Rapid back.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1