Octavia Mk3 vRS 2.0 CR TDI Remap by Motech

Good morning people,

I'm heading across to Motech Performance in Earls Barton, Northamptonshire at 10am this morning.   During this visit, they'll be downloading my MK3 vRS 2.0 TDI's existing map files for analysis, then in the next week I'll be headed across to their workshop in Warwick for the ECU to be removed, unlocked and the newly remapped files uploaded.

My 2 previous cars were both remapped by Motech (MK2 FL vRS 2.0 CR TDI & Yeti Elegance 2.0TDI CR170), having had a previous 5 cars remapped by Superchips and Celtic Tuning with mixed results.  I've been delighted with the work that Motech have done for me and can personally vouch for their quality of service, effectiveness and value for money.  They don't apply generic maps, instead remapping cars individually to suit the customer's requirement. 

I'll keep you all informed of how things progress and will add a few photos (if I remember!)

Watch this space!

• Like 1

Hi

What sort of remap did you have on the vrs 2.0 CR?

Was it a worth while investment?

I never really understand how so many people report of remaps with lots of extra power and better fuel economy.

Just wondering what you have experienced.

Hi

I never really understand how so many people report of remaps with lots of extra power and better fuel economy.

Hi Defenderben,

The remap on the 2.0 CR was pretty straightforward although it was an "ECU out job".  I didn't have it rolling road tested, but I suppose the car was running around 210bhp.  It was a nice smooth, progressive map and fuel economy wasn't adversely effected from what I recall.  

The better fuel economy comes from the extra torque that the remap delivers.  This means that you can drive at a lower speed in a higher gear, without having to change down which can aid economy. However, many people who have their cars remapped tend to have a rather heavy right foot and as we all know, the harder you press the "GO" pedal, the faster your fuel gauge goes down!  Drive it sensibly and you'll save money, drive it with your foot to the floor and you'll get fewer miles per tank.

To my mind, it was a worthwhile venture.  I think Motech would charge £300-£350ish for this and you'd probably have to travel to their workshop in Warwick to have it done as the ECU probably has to come out.

• Like 1

Hi

I've had 5 cars remapped in the past (3 by Upsolute, 2 by Celtic tuning).

The power and torque increase was fantastic and very noticeable.

On all but one the mpg did not change (I keep an excel chart of mpg and you couldn't tell on the graph when the remap was done).

On one car it was about 2mpg better.

So, last week I went across to Motech (literally just a 10 minute drive for me) and they couldn't get the file off the car because the ECU is locked (yeah, we know!)  So in a week or two, I'll be heading across to Warwick with Mike from Motech to have the ECU removed, cracked open, unlocked and mapped.  

Watch this ----->   <---- space.  :peek:

So, last week I went across to Motech (literally just a 10 minute drive for me) and they couldn't get the file off the car because the ECU is locked (yeah, we know!)  So in a week or two, I'll be heading across to Warwick with Mike from Motech to have the ECU removed, cracked open, unlocked and mapped.  

Watch this ----->   <---- space.  :peek:

Did they not realise the ECU would be locked before you went?

Amazing

:(

• Like 1

...and bang goes your warranty.

Dill

Do you think it's possible to have a conversation about remaps without someone crying about warranty?

WE ALL KNOW ABOUT THE WARRANTY ISSUE! WE'VE BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS WITH OUR CARS!

Rant over.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Did they not realise the ECU would be locked before you went?

Amazing

:(

I think that he thought he'd be able to read the file, as per the new 1.6tdi ECU. I had my doubts to be fair, but as his unit is only 10 minutes drive from where I live, it was no problem for me.

Not many people seem able to do the Tri-core yet, certainly nobody that I've used before - which put me off a little.

I've always been sceptical of tuning boxes Damian but in genuinely quite impressed with the DTUK box on mine.

I think that it'll all get figured out in the next few days and weeks. If Shark have done it (and they use the same kit as everyone else) then the other tuners will be able to do it too.

It's good to hear that you've had good results from the tuning box though, I've been oh so close to buying one for the past 6 months.

Hi

I have just installed the new Dtuk box and it is great. Change settings easy and very good performance

Hi Beast,

Can I ask what you're getting to a tank, before & after fitting the DTUK box?

Thanks,

Damian

Hi

must admit that i do not take much notice of the MPG but seems to have improved by about 3 MPG

from 48 to about 51 

can crusie in next gear up and more flexible 

and when youpu your foot down it does go very well

well worth it 

i have the new box so can easly change programes but seem best on 2 +1 or 3 +1 

cheers

Hi

must admit that i do not take much notice of the MPG but seems to have improved by about 3 MPG

from 48 to about 51 

can crusie in next gear up and more flexible 

and when youpu your foot down it does go very well

well worth it 

i have the new box so can easly change programes but seem best on 2 +1 or 3 +1 

cheers

I've always found that having a remap alters the trip computer's reporting of MPG and isn't to be trusted, I'm sure it's the same with tuning boxes as the ECU will be blissfully unaware of the extra fuel that's going through the cylinders.  

I tend to get on average 450 miles to a tank of diesel, maybe more if I do a few long runs and don't put my foot down so much.  So I'll have a point of comparison for after the remap.  The thing about remaps though, is that you tend to use the extra power and don't really see any saving on fuel whatsoever!