Stupid girl threatens to run over cyclists - internet outrage follows

But they ARE saving the planet doing their thing though.

Kittens that could possibly have died all over the world, could possibly live as a consequence now, so be grateful

That's the thing, on free flowing roads they actually increase pollution, I am all for bicycles in busy cities and believe they should be provided with decent cycle routes, but on a 60 mph country road they create havoc.

• Like 3

...but on a 60 mph country road they create havoc.

Many claim to already be road users but yet you'll often come round a blind bend

on a 60mph B road to find them three or four abreast like a 15mph meat, alloy and lycra roadblock. 

Now the car driver has to scrub off 3/4 of their speed in not much space at all to avoid contact

and they genuinely seem to enjoy it when  you are 'stuck' behind their mini fat gut tour de france

style rideout. (Honestly... I see so many fat cyclists... It just doesn't add up....) 

I went for a rideout in Cheddar recently and got so peeved with how many cyclists there were

doing dangerous things with a bizarre sense of invulnerability and entitlement that I headed 

home before I was in the dock for knocking one off with my motorcycle. Ruined my ride that day. 

I had my wife on the back and that makes for a far more difficult job avoiding hazards and 

braking. 

If it's not that its horses, I've often come around a bend to be faced with two horses chuffs

going along at an even slower 5mph blocking the entire lane. If that's not a recipe for disaster,

5mph traffic and 60 mph traffic on the same single lane style road then I don't know what is....

At least horses leave clues behind that there might be some ahead. 

Now they have just come around the same bend you have yet the roadblock never seems to pause

to think other traffic following them won't be able to see them until its too late. (Lack of mirrors and 

failure to look over shoulder = Nothing there and if it hits me it's automatically at fault anyway)  

A good road user is aware of threats from behind as well as what's in front  And rightly or wrongly

law wise certain road users do not and will not move over even a bit to allow you past even though

they have done what they set out to and slowed you down to their crawl.  

But yeah, we have to share the roads so we have to get on but it doesn't make it easy

when you see this kind of thing all the time...

• Like 1

It should come as no surprise to you that there may be other road users present.  For the avoidance of doubt See Highway code Rule 154.

Take extra care on country roads and reduce your speed at approaches to bends, which can be sharper than they appear, and at junctions and turnings, which may be partially hidden. Be prepared for pedestrians, horse riders, cyclists, slow-moving farm vehicles or mud on the road surface. Make sure you can stop within the distance you can see to be clear. You should also reduce your speed where country roads enter villages.

Edited by Chorlton
  • Like 2

Many claim to already be road users but yet you'll often come round a blind bend

on a 60mph B road to find them three or four abreast like a 15mph meat, alloy and lycra roadblock. 

Now the car driver has to scrub off 3/4 of their speed in not much space at all to avoid contact

and they genuinely seem to enjoy it when  you are 'stuck' behind their mini fat gut tour de france

style rideout. (Honestly... I see so many fat cyclists... It just doesn't add up....) 

I went for a rideout in Cheddar recently and got so peeved with how many cyclists there were

doing dangerous things with a bizarre sense of invulnerability and entitlement that I headed 

home before I was in the dock for knocking one off with my motorcycle. Ruined my ride that day. 

I had my wife on the back and that makes for a far more difficult job avoiding hazards and 

braking. 

If it's not that its horses, I've often come around a bend to be faced with two horses chuffs

going along at an even slower 5mph blocking the entire lane. If that's not a recipe for disaster,

5mph traffic and 60 mph traffic on the same single lane style road then I don't know what is....

At least horses leave clues behind that there might be some ahead. 

Now they have just come around the same bend you have yet the roadblock never seems to pause

to think other traffic following them won't be able to see them until its too late. (Lack of mirrors and 

failure to look over shoulder = Nothing there and if it hits me it's automatically at fault anyway)  

A good road user is aware of threats from behind as well as what's in front  And rightly or wrongly

law wise certain road users do not and will not move over even a bit to allow you past even though

they have done what they set out to and slowed you down to their crawl.  

But yeah, we have to share the roads so we have to get on but it doesn't make it easy

when you see this kind of thing all the time...

You forgot to mention the ones wearing iEarphones and Beats tin cans who cant hear a bloody thing; nearly hit one a couple of days ago, randomly swerved right out to the white line for no reason THEN looked behind him as I screeched to a halt 2cm off his lycra clad arse (I was already out on the white line and almost alongside him).

I don't know where you all see these terrible cyclists, but they don't seem to come anywhere near me.

Very occasionally I might see one doing something a bit dumb or inconsiderate, but it's never caused much more than a passing comment to my passenger or a shake of the head and is soon forgotten (just like the occasional substandard driving I see).

I've never been forced to swerve or brake harshly to avoid a collision, or been unduly delayed, or felt threatened by a lycra-lout.

• Like 2

It should come as no surprise to you that there may be other road users present.  For the avoidance of doubt See Highway code Rule 154.

Take extra care on country roads and reduce your speed at approaches to bends, which can be sharper than they appear, and at junctions and turnings, which may be partially hidden. Be prepared for pedestrians, horse riders, cyclists, slow-moving farm vehicles or mud on the road surface. Make sure you can stop within the distance you can see to be clear. You should also reduce your speed where country roads enter villages.

As a motorcyclist, I have to say those things are never far from my thoughts.

Any one of them could see me deaded or cabbaged. 

Despite the 4 figures worth of safety gear I'll have on even in weather like this.  

What I was trying to say is there are a lot of people out there who don't associate roads

with extreme danger and an awful lot of them seem to be either on horses or cycles. 

And it's all very well quoting the highway code at me, no point being in the right and yet

still somehow dead. Personally I think survival is more important than blindly following the rules.

And when you see these rich blokes daughters all of 12 years old in control of a tonne of horse

on the road who have never even read the highway code never mind passed any sort of proficiency test.

They aren't thinking of closing speed, blind bends, vanishing point etc. They are thinking about One Direction

or whether or not Boy X fancies them or if Becky is coming to the cinema later etc etc etc

I think it's a bit above the span of an average 12 year old (often even younger but about 12 is the youngest 

I've seen unaccompanied) to predict what might or might not happen if a situation developed

which involved them and their 'vehicle' (which to make matters worse has literally its own will and mind 

and is beyond a child to stop it if it decides to wander over there for a nice mouthful of grass or whatever.) 

It's perfectly possible to legally ride a cycle on the highway without ever having read the highway

code also. Maybe as a document it would have more gravitas if ALL road users HAD to be tested on it like

those of us using motorised transport of all types. Just saying... 

If you treat the using road like a leisure pastime rather than the serious business it is, then it's you who will reap

the consequences. And they won't be pretty ones. 

I don't know where you all see these terrible cyclists

Cheddar most recently. I did say in my post. 

I tend to ride my bike mostly on B roads and only when the weather is very nice. 

So perhaps I see an abnormal amount of the lycra brigade when I go out for a ride. 

I keep well away from Bristol centre, no fun riding there. The Mayor has seen to that

with his unfair bias towards the cyclist (he also goes everywhere by bike... fancy that)  

And while we are on the subject of cyclists using cameras...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/24/headcam-cycle-crash_n_5616157.html?1406190491

The driver admitted fault at the scene then tried to dispute it afterwards.

I know that road very very well! London road aka the A118 (Totally my neck of the woods once upon a time)

That happened just after the Nissan Dealer, (It's where my mum gets her XTrail serviced)

the car was turning into Jutsums Lane. Cyclist was headed toward Chadwell Heath.

Car was in the wrong and cyclist was in the right. But tell me?? Did it hurt him any less because of that? 

Oh and going back to my earlier point that looks like a classic using the phone at the wheel

scenario. I hope her/his phone was taken and checked. 

With the amount of "roads are deadly" campaigning over the years, I can't see that any adult is not going to know that roads/road users can be dangerous. Plus the reporting of fatals in London over the past 1-2 years.

IMO with commuting cyclists, they bury their fears, lucky rabbit's foot, worry beads, stress balls or whatever. I think head-cam or bike-cam can be one way of strapping on another layer of protection. Purely for morale purposes, and "just in case".

J.

I had one adventure (non cyclist) today, and saw a motorcyclist near miss.

Doing 30mph in a 30mph zone and approaching a mini roundabout, when the car behind me - a brand new Passat (custom plates)  loaded up with roof boxes and 3 or 4 bikes decided to overtake me!! Obviously didnt know the road and barely managed to stop for the roundabout (and the traffic crossing it). (I have the vid, but nowhere to currently upload it)

Same road 20 minutes later I saw a Freelander doing a 3 point turn using someones driveway; just as he was starting to reverse back out, our local muscle bike speed demon came around the corner.......

(By speed demon I mean 60+ on residential side roads - I had him overtake me on an adjacent road on Monday - he only lives 500m along the road, so why the need for speed??)

So everyone believes she's going to start running people over ??

Sorry I'm lost here, has she actually done it ??

What's the fuss ??

Whats it got to do with her employer ??

If we started arresting people for everything they said or if they made a joke, we'd end up arresting some guy joking about blowing up the airport if it plane didn't turn up soon.

Oh hang on!

I totally agree that people say these sort of things all the time, it's just when you post on the internet the whole world's population of people who like to be offended and kick off see it, are offended and kick off.

I guess I better go hand myself over to the thought police for having a non compliant thought and get the lobotomy done.

As for where are all these dreadful cyclists. Come to Bath and Bristol and you'll see many of them.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

As for where are all these dreadful cyclists. Come to Bath and Bristol and you'll see many of them.

Quoted for truth

and thank you!! I thought it was just my legendary intolerance...

Quoted for truth

and thank you!! I thought it was just my legendary intolerance...

Not just Bath and Bristol, Cambridge is particularly bad as well.

Yes I agree, I've seen some dreadful cycling in cambridge, but not experienced militants.

I had a bike go through a red light in Bristol, i managed to jump on the brakes and miss him and was on the horn.

I got a finger, followed by him playing the big man and coming over to my open window at the next set of traffic lights and threatening me.

As per usual with these people, they're all big and hard when they have their camera to protect them and can have a shout.

I just pointed to the camera in my car at the time, invited him to repeat his threat and that I'd be happy to compare video with him at the local police station (admittedly along with a few choice expletives).

Oddly enough, he just ran another red light and hurried off.

As per the observations above, 90% of cyclists are fine and while you get the odd occasion where they pull across etc without checking, everyone is human and makes mistakes.

Saying sorry isn't hard and it's easy to understand the typical "thanks for not running me over/hitting my car even though I did something stupid apology".

It's that last 10% who are contain many complete idiots and probably only a small percentage of them who should probably be imprisoned.

Regularly will get these types weaving though traffic and hitting cars and getting retribution for assumed slights and wrongs on them.

Watched one guy smash a wing mirror, because he had to go around the car.

Another deliberately pull something along another car in traffic.

There is a guy around here who has cameras and deliberately records people getting ****ed off at him and puts it on the internet and reports it to the police (Wonder if it's edited to ignore what he did).

Funny thing is, when you see the footage, the complaints from the driver are all fairly similar and of the "how's my cycling" type.

That plus there are regular finger gestures and swearing from the cyclist.

What do we hear "great cyclist and ****** motorists". I dunno maybe it's just me, but perhaps that guy should review what must obviously be an aggressive cycling style.

That plus perhaps be prosecuted for some of the actions and threats he has made.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

on a 60mph B road to find them three or four abreast like a 15mph meat, alloy and lycra roadblock...

[snipped]

going along at an even slower 5mph blocking the entire lane...

If you're encountering this 'often', yet are still being caught by surprise by it, it would suggest you're not adapting your driving to the conditions.

HV

If you're encountering this 'often', yet are still being caught by surprise by it, it would suggest you're not adapting your driving to the conditions.

HV

Riding 4 abreast on the public highway is a no no.

The fact that he didn't mow them down, suggests he was driving to the conditions and at a speed where he could stop in the distance he could see. ;)

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 1

HV

Don't recall saying I was surprised by it.

I may have insinuated that I was saddened by it, upset by it, inconvenienced by it

heck, even annoyed by it. But surprised? No.   

I have earned a living driving anything from 2 to 8 wheels so maybe you ought to offer driving 

tuition to those who need it. My licence has more full groups than most folk will ever need or use. 

And maybe I encounter it often because oh, I don't know... Umm,  I live in the countryside.

Not many Horses in Tottenham that haven't either got a copper sat on them or are pulling a hearse! 

What I was saying is that maybe, just maybe the next person round that bend will have passed their driving test two weeks 

ago and struggle to make the necessary alterations to speed and trajectory to miss the lumbering 

roadblock. Or maybe the next car round the bend will be driven by a brainless thug who simply doesn't 

care if he hurts someone. In either case the outlook for the cyclist or horse rider is more bleak than

that of the vehicle driver (except in motorcyclist v horse) yet you often see them display behaviour that seems 

contrary to their own well being and safety?  To me that's madness. Cliche or not, it's a jungle out there and the 

most vulnerable need to take extra care. The only forcefield you have is the one you create yourself with observation,

evaluation and action. If you have the most at stake then you take the most care? Don't you? 

I look out for myself and others in all classes of vehicle but take extra care at my most vulnerable which is when I am on my

motorbike. I keep it in good order, I keep myself in good order and only ride when feeling 100%, I wear FULL safety gear EVERY

single time, I check my brakes, tyre pressures, lights and chain before every ride. And when on the road I give myself space and

time to react and am always permanently and fully aware of road position AND how assertive/creative use of it can actually influence

the actions of others whilst simultaneously protecting myself.  Maybe passing 5 driving tests has had something to do with that? 

Shame all road users don't have to comply with the whole 'tested performance and knowledge' thing that those of us with licences have to. 

Then it may be a level playing field with proper mutual respect. 

• Like 1

What's the expression, you're only as good/safe as the worst driver out there?

Assume all road users are **** and drive to deal with that and you'll hopefully be safe.

This obviously goes for a car, but when you're on a bike/motorbike/horse, then is applies even more, because you don't have a crash tested metal box around you.

I don't know where you all see these terrible cyclists, but they don't seem to come anywhere near me.

Very occasionally I might see one doing something a bit dumb or inconsiderate, but it's never caused much more than a passing comment to my passenger or a shake of the head and is soon forgotten (just like the occasional substandard driving I see).

I've never been forced to swerve or brake harshly to avoid a collision, or been unduly delayed, or felt threatened by a lycra-lout.

If not for the logistics of us getting there, I'd offer to buy you a pint in the 3 Judges at Partick Cross in Glasgow. You'd run out of tentacles trying to count the number riding on pavements or jumping red lights!  ;)

• Like 1

Next time I'm passing I'll take you up on that. :)

I took a slightly different route to work this morning, on a road that does have a cycle lane.
Unfortunately it's quite difficult to use, due to the number of cars parked in it.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.305459,-1.958403,3a,75y,49.34h,92.56t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s3wvqe0LROvYVK2Pdmp-xLQ!2e0

braking. 

I could apply the same observation to motorcyclists riding around the peak district on any summer weekend.  There's a lot of bad cycling/driving/biking on the roads full stop I don't think anyone is blameless.

Don't recall saying I was surprised by it.

I may have insinuated that I was saddened by it, upset by it, inconvenienced by it

heck, even annoyed by it. But surprised? No.   

I have earned a living driving anything from 2 to 8 wheels so maybe you ought to offer driving 

tuition to those who need it. My licence has more full groups than most folk will ever need or use. 

And maybe I encounter it often because oh, I don't know... Umm,  I live in the countryside.

Not many Horses in Tottenham that haven't either got a copper sat on them or are pulling a hearse! 

What I was saying is that maybe, just maybe the next person round that bend will have passed their driving test two weeks 

ago and struggle to make the necessary alterations to speed and trajectory to miss the lumbering 

roadblock. Or maybe the next car round the bend will be driven by a brainless thug who simply doesn't 

care if he hurts someone. In either case the outlook for the cyclist or horse rider is more bleak than

that of the vehicle driver (except in motorcyclist v horse) yet you often see them display behaviour that seems 

contrary to their own well being and safety?  To me that's madness. Cliche or not, it's a jungle out there and the 

most vulnerable need to take extra care. The only forcefield you have is the one you create yourself with observation,

evaluation and action. If you have the most at stake then you take the most care? Don't you? 

I look out for myself and others in all classes of vehicle but take extra care at my most vulnerable which is when I am on my

motorbike. I keep it in good order, I keep myself in good order and only ride when feeling 100%, I wear FULL safety gear EVERY

single time, I check my brakes, tyre pressures, lights and chain before every ride. And when on the road I give myself space and

time to react and am always permanently and fully aware of road position AND how assertive/creative use of it can actually influence

the actions of others whilst simultaneously protecting myself.  Maybe passing 5 driving tests has had something to do with that? 

Shame all road users don't have to comply with the whole 'tested performance and knowledge' thing that those of us with licences have to. 

Then it may be a level playing field with proper mutual respect. 

I used surprised because of your comment that

...you'll often come round a blind bend

which suggested to me that there are drivers, possibly yourself included, who do 60 into a blind bend and find some slow obstruction that leaves them barely enough time to avoid a collision.  After the second or third time, most drivers would adjust their driving to take this possibility into account and maybe go a little slower so as not to be caught by surprise.   Anyone who continues to find himself in this situation isn't learning from experience.

If you're not one of these drivers then my comment doesn't apply to you. 

HV

I've just read through this thread, and think that her original post (apparently now deleted) is one of the stupidest things I have ever read.

Who in their right mind announces that they intend to commit ABH or possibly a murder on an open forum.

Anyone who knows what make / model car she drives, and can find out her car reg. -  all it would take is a set of cloned plates and they could get away with multiple road improvements murders.

If anyone does have the appropriate information, please PM me.