engine bay cleaning

vrsestateni

Had my Octavia for about a week now and although the outside and interior are gleaming under the bonnet aint so hot. very dusty looking all over.

has anyone had their engine bay steam cleaned or is this bad for electrics and oil seals ect ect. or do I need to do it the old fashioned by hand over many hours.

any advice welcome

cheers

This has been mentioned many times on here before, I've never done it but know of a lot who have. And I believe as long as common sense is used ie cover any major electronic points and so on its perfectly safe.

but surely after 1 week it can't be that bad. I've had mine for over 2 months now and the engine bay looks as good as new.

I suggest you just spritz round and dust it down unless it's really bad.

• Like 1

you really only need steam to get rid of oil and grease etc. If the car is just a little grubby (and mine is the same under the bonnet and is 1 week old) then just use some mild car shampoo or APC and then wipe over with a plastic dressing. Plan to do mine shortly in the same way.

This has been mentioned many times on here before, I've never done it but know of a lot who have. And I believe as long as common sense is used ie cover any major electronic points and so on its perfectly safe.

but surely after 1 week it can't be that bad. I've had mine for over 2 months now and the engine bay looks as good as new.

I suggest you just spritz round and dust it down unless it's really bad.

when I say one week old I mean I picked it up 1 week ago but its an 09 reg and basically the dealer had outside spotless but never touched under the bonnet. bit disappointed but hey.

when I say one week old I mean I picked it up 1 week ago but its an 09 reg and basically the dealer had outside spotless but never touched under the bonnet. bit disappointed but hey.

Oh right sorry. Gotcha!

Spray it with some All Purpose Cleaner (APC) ..

...then go around the bay with a detailing brush and finally spray/spritz with a little water and dry off with a couple of MF cloths

Job done

All purpose cleaner? Any examples. Is there automotive stuff or are you just talking about any all purpose cleaner.

All purpose cleaner? Any examples. Is there automotive stuff or are you just talking about any all purpose cleaner.

any will do. Sainsbury's basic is less than 50p for a 1L bottle and it's normally in the household cleaning section by the bleach etc.