1.4 TSI 122 DSG - questions

hi guys

i tested drove an 2013 1.4TSI 122 SE with 7 sp DSG gearbox yesterday at the local skoda dealership. i have few questions to ask if you guys dont mind answering them if possible? 

i love the way the power delivery from small 1.4 turbo engine combined with 7sp DSG gearbox. the gearbox felt extremely smooth at changing. engine and the gearbox works together very well.

i got home and straight away searched internet for hours for '1.4tsi' i found that a lot of poeple said avoid them as they can be very unreliable especially 140/160 and 170bhp. i'm not sure if that include the 122 the one i drove yesterday. alot of faulty at very young mileage like 20 to 40k mileage, turbo blown, DSG gearbox replaced, etc etc. replaced by warranty but what happens if when the warranty ran out at 3 years old? i dont really fancy to pay out big bills. 

MPG? what sort of MPG you normally get? i drive an 2009 ford focus 1.6 100bhp petrol, 80/20 town/carriageway i average about 33mpg they are known for thirsty anyway. what sort of MPG on the 1.4tsi 122 on same commute? 

also, why 1.4TSI 122bhp wtih DSG arent popular as 1.2TSI and 1.6 diesel? so far i could find on this forum is the guy from Israel

thanks

Just bought the 1.2TSI 105 myself, as I personally prefer a manual but also it's cheaper on tax and fuel; I've replaced a deisel. However if you like auto then it should be a very good car and the 122ps engine can be found in many a VW Golf and is a lot less problematic than the higher power versions. Also some DSG's have been subject to recall but if any such work has been done if required, then again I wouldn't worry.

Would look to find one with the GreenTech equipment, as it brings costs down; road tax for example drops a band and is the same as my non GreenTech 1.2 TSI at £110 a year.

TP

Hey I am the guy from Israel ;)

I also wonder why people here don't talk or buy the 1.4 tsi

the 122 ps version differs from the 140/150/160 and so on by not having a supercharger, this setup makes it much more reliable and there are no problems for me so far (21kkm)

also, here in Israel, the 1.2 tsi manual is the rarest version, 1.4TSI is standard and 1.6 diesel is used only for cabs (diesel in Israel is almost unused by regular people)

I was looking at these for someone and would consider one myself as I need an auto in future. For the money, I don't think you can beat those one year old cars.

I've experienced the engine in a manual golf and it's good for its type. as said it's a turbo only version not the problematic twin charger.

I can't speak for anyone else but when I bought my Rapid there were very few 1.4 TSIs around and even fewer that had any kind of pre-reg discount available.... I've still not driven one yet, I'd like to find out how well it goes, but the lack of a manual box is a bit of a bummer and even if I had the money to throw around it would probably put me off buying one.... I think the entire left hand side of my body would get bored in an automatic.

• Like 1

I've always heard/read that the 1.2tsi is by far the better of the two. So many say the 1.4 is lifeless and troublesome.

1) a bit harsh on the plain 1.4 tsi and 2) there isn't, as far as I am aware, a 1.2 tsi dsg variant available.

I was looking at these for someone and would consider one myself as I need an auto in future. For the money, I don't think you can beat those one year old cars.

I've experienced the engine in a manual golf and it's good for its type. as said it's a turbo only version not the problematic twin charger.

Well Guys,

I have had a 1.4 TSI DSG since March this year (1year old car) and it had 14kmiles on odemeter (paid under £10K for it).

It drives supremely quite fast when required (what is fast?) and very refined up through the 7 speed DSG and changes are smooth as silk.

I believe that the 1.4 in supercharged form is apparently unreliable based on various websites/forums, but this 1.4TSI turbo version is fitted to many VW / Audi / Seat/ Skoda cars and is well developed and reliable. ( I did test drive fabia 1.4 DSG Vrs which was very nippy!!!)

MPG we achieve average every day short journeys/ mixed country roads around 46 MPG and a on a motorway run easily over 50 MPG.

It is very relaxed driving and when on a journey combined with cruise control is completely stress free... just enjoy the music Bluetoothed from iPhone and cruise!!!

It ticks 95% of my Boxes for a car

Bidey fae Perth

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Like Bidey I have the 1.4 tsi 122ps DGS…..Love it 18 miles to work 18 back averages 47mpg after about 5 miles stick it in cruse and sit back only 2,000 miles on clock but so good only thing i can fault is on previous cars one tap up on cruse increases by 1 mph or hold for 3 and increase or decrease for 5 mph this cruse if you want to increase or decrease speed you need to depress the button and relies when the required speed is reached so end up watching speedo not road. Big plus for me was the amount of legroom in the back whit no compromise in the front.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also thinking about buying a used rapid 1.4 7sp DSG Auto. Can anybody tell me what to look out for and listen for when test driving a rapid with the 7Spd DSG box. How can you tell a good one from a bad one, as I have no experience with DSG auto boxes,

Thanks  

Well so far have not had any problems only delights in driving the 1.4TSI unit with the auto DSG gearboxe (i.e. when i get a chance that is , its my wifes car just now)

Its nippy, responsive in "S" mode and a real cruiser on "D" mode. Put it into cruise control on the motorway and its sit back and relax (well steer)

Hi, another question I have is how does the Greentech stop / start system work with the 7spd DSG auto box? Does it only kick in when you've applied the handbrake and moved the selector into N or P and if so when does engine re-start occur is it after you've put you foot back on the footbrake and moved the selector into D ready to drive off again??

I would like to hear comments from anybody who has experienced a rapid with this system with the DSG auto box.. 

Thanks

Hi, another question I have is how does the Greentech stop / start system work with the 7spd DSG auto box? Does it only kick in when you've applied the handbrake and moved the selector into N or P and if so when does engine re-start occur is it after you've put you foot back on the footbrake and moved the selector into D ready to drive off again??

I would like to hear comments from anybody who has experienced a rapid with this system with the DSG auto box.. 

Thanks

I've always wondered that, I have it on the Yeti and as you say, you have to knock the manual in neutral and have foot on brake, engine restart controlled from the clutch. Must be all controlled from the gear box on the DSG auto.

I know it from my fathers yeti. 1.6 tdi dsg.

When you hold your foot on the brake, the engine stops. When you get your foot from the break the engine starts again.

There is no handbrake needed.

When you hold your foot on the brake, the engine stops. When you get your foot from the break the engine starts again.

So it requires you to sit in a queue of traffic with your brake lights continually illuminated!

Hi. I now have a rapid 1.4 TSI 122ps DSG with the greentech technology.. What you can do in traffic at say the lights is this: Put handbrake on, select neutral, take foot off brake. Not sure if engine cuts out, only had it a day so far, but it saves you having to keep foot on footbrake for any length of time. But as previously stated, if you pull up at the lights as normal, after a few seconds, the engine cuts. When the lights change to amber, as you take your foot off the footbrake, the engine re-starts, immediately so by the time your right foot hits the accelerator the car just pulls away as if nothing had happened, very smooth. Of course the stop-start can be disabled before each journey if required.

• Like 1

I thought the Yeti Greenline (1.6tdi) didn't have the option of the DSG gearbox?