skoda superb clutch solid or duel mass

hi all I have  a Skoda superb 1.9 

Make SKODA Model SUPERB Colour MAROON Body type HATCHBACK Engine size 1896 cc Year 2008

and was wondering if you had any opinions about the type of clutch I should put in a solid or Duel mass  kit.....

Be careful not to mix up the clutch and flywheel, they are different items, although if the dual mass flywheel needs replacing replace it with another dual mass. Often the clutch is changed at the same time if its showing signs of wear.

Dual mass flywheels are there to dampen vibrations out of the driveline so if a solid one is fitted those vibrations go else where and can have detrimental effects on other components as mentioned above. False economy if you plan to keep it, and some have said you can feel the smoothness has gone when a solid mass flywheel has been fitted.

• Like 1

Dual mass, don't fit a single you'll shatter the crankshaft eventually.

Thanks for the advice,I agree thats all I needed to hear..........

Be careful not to mix up the clutch and flywheel, they are different items, although if the dual mass flywheel needs replacing replace it with another dual mass. Often the clutch is changed at the same time if its showing signs of wear.

Dual mass flywheels are there to dampen vibrations out of the driveline so if a solid one is fitted those vibrations go else where and can have detrimental effects on other components as mentioned above. False economy if you plan to keep it, and some have said you can feel the smoothness has gone when a solid mass flywheel has been fitted.

Thanks ...I thought so my self  just needed to be reassured ,,,,I taxi for a living..and at the moment there is heavy shuddering on lift of,lights and junctions ..etc..

The thing is, you have the old but durable 1.9 105PD TDi engine.

There are lots of people over on the Octavia II forum (including taxi drivers) with the same engine who have converted worn dual mass flywheels with solid flywheels with great success.

See here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/301558-help-faulty-dual-mass-flywheel-at-90000-mls/?hl=%2Bsingle+%2Bmass+%2Bflywheel#entry3600703

A customer were I work had issues with a Ford Transit that had a solid flywheel conversation. .. after 3 gearboxes they changed back to a DMF.... no issue after

As stated above the vibration has to go somewhere. ..

The 1.9 TDi engine has been fitted in the Octavia for a lot longer than the MkII Superb, hence the large amount of topics that cover this issue over in the Octavia forums.

I recommend that the OP does some research, Skoda were actually recommending and fitting themselves solid flywheels to the Octavia when the DMF's failed under warranty.

Comparing a Superb with a Transit van isn't really apples for apples. I don't doubt the gearbox has to deal with additional strains but for Skoda to fit solid flywheels must say something.

Ford did the same with Transits when they had issues with DMP's, for a short while they fitted solid kits until the problem was fixed, BUT they also fitted vibration dampers to the front crank pully to compensate and take the vibration. May not be "apples for apples" but the principle is the same, the DMF take the vibration, if nothing else is there to absorb it the major components do.

Skoda may have used them, but what else did they do?

Ford did the same with Transits when they had issues with DMP's, for a short while they fitted solid kits until the problem was fixed, BUT they also fitted vibration dampers to the front crank pully to compensate and take the vibration. May not be "apples for apples" but the principle is the same, the DMF take the vibration, if nothing else is there to absorb it the major components do.

Skoda may have used them, but what else did they do?

I ran three vehicles all of them using the Ford Transit 2.4 engines used from Ford Industrial Engines and one of the first things we did was rip out the DMF's and replace them with SMF's when we could then we ran over 700000 miles on the SMF's without any issues, in fact the SMF was clean outlasting the clutch kits with clutch plate wear being the only factor so I would challenge your assertion on the issues with DMF's the only issue with them that affected driving was that as the clutch wore it got heavier to push down on making changes slightly harder to achieve as your left leg had to grow stronger to do the pushing!

And btw the clutch was a conversion kit with a new selector and new slave/master cylinders, no harmonic balancers were ever fitted to the engines maybe when driving a Duratorq people should have remembered it was a van engine and not a car engine so you left the revs to die down before trying to break the syncromesh and ramming the gear in at too high an engine speed, I always left about 2 seconds between changes and even at times held the box in neutral before going to change up and I let the vehicle slow down though braking before changing down to reduce shooting the revs through the limiter, brakes are cheap and easy to do, changing engines is not and shattered rocker arms are a pig to change when you have to disassemble the fuel pipework to the injector stems and prevent dust from entering them

Stick with what I've told you mate, I've seen cranks broke clean in two due to this, most recent was a 1.9 fitted to a Passat B6 2008

Maybe others have been lucky, maybe in the case of the Transit van the Ford crank was able to take it due to better strength, overall I've seen plenty of people who did a SMF conversion wish they hadn't and not just VAG owners, as Stu said the vibes have to go somewhere, that somewhere is either into the gearbox or through the crank, if it's the gearbox it will kill the shaft bearings early which will then make the changes harder before finally letting a cog out through the casing.

• 1 month later...

at last changed all,bought a duel mass clutch kit £480....£180 for fitting....all shuddering gone i bought a LUK clutch kit the original was still fitted from 2008.s0 the mileage when changed was 115000....but was giving me bother ( shuddering) from around 95k. smooth take of yesssss..

Been running a 58 plate as a taxi into the ground. The original dual mass lasted 60k miles so replaced it with the solid kit. Now done 150k with no issues. Sure, it's a bit more agricultural and there's a nominal fuel consumption increase but heh. The original dual mass lasted 60k and was £400. The kit was £400 but it's still going after another 90k and will cost £100 to change so I'm not complaining.