2 Big Fuel Leaks After Filling Up

Hi

A few weeks ago I have brought the Fabia down to Spain, which it did no problem and since done some small journeys and we have put fuel in once or twice.

Today, I put 30 euros of fuel in only to find the car cutting out 1/4 mile down the road.

We managed to push it into a side road, where we noticed a huge fuel leak, which then turned out to be 2 leaks.

The first leak was the connection to the fuel filter, which I know was fine 4 weeks previous, as myself and a mechanic had replaced the filter and made sure the fuel line clipped over the ridge on the filter.

The second leak, I cant see exactly, because of the cowling on the floor, but I am guessing it is the connection at the other and of this plastic clip on the same fuel line.

It is as if when I have filled up with fuel the backpressure has been so much it has blown the pipe off at both ends and been aboe to driver /14 mile because fo the fuel in the system only.

So has this happen before.to anyone else?

Any idea to what has caused this?

The tank was pretty empty when I put the fuel in.

It is hot, but there are hundreds of MK1 Fabias driving around in thi heat.

I managed to get the fuel filter pipe to clip back on and stay there with no leak which got me the 1 mile back home.

But at the other end of the pipe, it is still leaking with thi ignition on. (fortunately OK when just standing).

Anyone had experience off this before and can give real advice to fixing it.

Thanks

Mark

Are you sure its not been tampered with to try and steal fuel before you filled up. it could have been leaking gradually on the way to the filling station.

Knowing certain areas of spain, there are some where I would not leave a UK registered car for any length of time.

Its a petrol engine. 1.4 16v

As far stealing fuel, I would have maybe gone with this, had it just been the filter connnection.

But the second leak is under the cowling on the floor.

There have been no previous leaks, as it has had a new fuel filter and exhaust and gone though a new MOT in recent weeks, before the long drive down to Spain so would have spotted any leaks then

You could all be right about trying to steal the petrol and pulling the pipe, now I have been under and had a good look.

I got it wrong with 2 leaks, there was only 1,

After I traced the fuel pipe through the chassis, I now realise it goes no where near where I saw the second leak.

the most likely cause is for what looked like a seond leak, is condensation from the air conditioning, that was on full.

It could drip down the back of the engine bay and collect in the stailnless cowling around the exhaust and then leak from there.

The coincodence of them happening together, made me assume they were both petrol.

So with pipe pushed back and clipped on to the filter and what appears to be sealed now, I will drive on short journeys only until I have the confidence that it is fixed.

Thanks all.

Mark

Edited by flanok