DSG won't shift up when foot is planted

Hey forum!

I recently brought home my very first Skoda and couldn't be happier. Fabia VRS in blue - cracking little car!

However, this is also my first experience with driving auto, and whilst I feel like I'm adapting pretty well I still have concerns when it comes to this DSG box. I've read countless threads on DSG quirks but can't quite find a discussion similar to the issues I'm having...

When I put my foot down in D to overtake or just have a little fun, it'll drop down 2 gears but seems to get stuck in that gear right through the rev range. It won't change up until I ease off the pedal. Under relatively light acceleration I get really smooth changes from 1-7, it's just under hard acceleration when it seems to get stuck (usually in 4th). I don't feel like the most civilised motorist when blasting down a country road at 7000RPM...  :p

Sport mode has the same symptoms. Shifting using the paddles works fine. The car has only been in my possession for a couple of weeks so I've not had any maintenance performed myself.

Is this something you guys have come across? 

Thanks in advance for your infinite wisdom  :angel:

-Tom

Hi mate welcome. My vrs ive had couple month and first semi auto i drove coming from a civic type r and took some getting used too. When in auto D if you boot it or drop two gears it will hold the gear into the redline. 4th gear also like you notice it seems to go on for ever... but if you wanted can use the paddle shift to go into 5th without it doing it automatically. If you hold the + paddle for second or so it will flick between auto and manual. Sport mode holds the gears for longer and revs higher than normal some say better suited for track use or acceleration. When i use manual i flick the stick across to + or - and use the gear selector rather than the paddle shift, just my preference. Takes some getting used too but from what you said is normal

In normal D mode if you plant the accelerator you will feel it click which is why it will drop the gears. Try get used to planting your foot but before it clicks you will feel the difference

Edited by walterwilson85

Welcome to the forum.

You do not say what age or mileage your car is.

If you are flooring the throttle, and it kicks down and goes, if you are at 7,000 rpm in 4th you should be at about 80 - 100 mph and it should have changed up after 6,200 rpm

In D' it has 7 gears and on light throttle changes up at arounf 2,400 rpm.

in 'S' it is 6 gears and changes up about 4,500 rpm unless under hard acceleration where it near red lines.

Sounds like your DSG is not right,

it needs checked, it needs the Mechatronic Control Unit Checked.

Has it had the 'Service Campaign' carried out on the DSG, OIl Changed and ECU update.?

Have you been told it need to be Examined and have a 'Field Action' carried out?

george

• Like 1

When you say "planted" are you pressing the pedal hard enough to click over the kickdown detent? If you are then I'm certain mine also doesn't change up until either the redline or lifting the throttle. I'm also fairly sure even with full throttle in D but no kickdown it uses most if not all of the revs before changing.  I'll check later when I go out.

When you say "planted" are you pressing the pedal hard enough to click over the kickdown detent? If you are then I'm certain mine also doesn't change up until either the redline or lifting the throttle. I'm also fairly sure even with full throttle in D but no kickdown it uses most if not all of the revs before changing.  I'll check later when I go out.

It took me a year, with my first vRS to realise I had not pressed hard enough to engage the kickdown.  You have to press quite hard.

Kickdown with the DSG is not full down like with Autos of old, and it does not need floored.

You can be on 1/3 to 1/2 throttle down and get kickdown, it is RPM, and demand, which includes where the RPM is, on Super only,

or turbo with super on demand below 3,500 tpm when you give it some. 

Loads of variations as to how you get it to pick up and go, down 2 or 3 gears, how far you let the DSG change up, or you change up.

Behaviour & shifts are different from the CAVE & DSG than with the CTHE & DSG,

due to the revised Engine Management and DSG Management with the CTHE cars.

(there are some used cars around that might still have the Throttle Mod  / Kickdown Mod done by previous owners,

just as there are going to be cars out there that still have Remaps in the ECU.)

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

Thanks guys! Sounds like I'm still getting used to the car's behaviour. Glad to know this probably an error on my part and not a faulty box! I'll take her for a spin today and experiment with pedal position.

For reference the car is 10 plate with 46,000 on the clock. Service coming up so I'll have a word with skoda to see if there are any updates to apply.

The car should have had a ECU update maybe 2 years ago, so see that the latest Update has been installed.

I take it it had the Brake Fluid changed at 3 Years, if not it probably needs doing.

& the Spark Plugs service schedule was at 40,000 miles, so hopefully they were changed.

& a clean air filter is in.

Ask about the 'Service Campaign' items, DSG Oil & ECU

& Heated seat elements if you have heated seats.

george

I got a brand new fabia vrs a couple of months ago and mine does the same if you floor it in any gear then it won't change up until it redlines unless you back off on the pedal

Simply stated and correct,not just for the vrs but all autos I believe. 

If you are going along at 40 mph and plant your foot, are you not up to 70-80 a few seconds later and lifting off before you are too far over the Speed limit.

or say you are at 50 mpg,

plant your foot and it drops 2 gears and goes & up around 100 mph and needing to slow down?

or am i missing the point?

Edited by goneoffSKi

Kickdown with the DSG is not full down like with Autos of old, and it does not need floored.

You can be on 1/3 to 1/2 throttle down and get kickdown, it is RPM, and demand, which includes where the RPM is, on Super only,

or turbo with super on demand below 3,500 tpm when you give it some. 

Loads of variations as to how you get it to pick up and go, down 2 or 3 gears, how far you let the DSG change up, or you change up.

Behaviour & shifts are different from the CAVE & DSG than with the CTHE & DSG,

due to the revised Engine Management and DSG Management with the CTHE cars.

(there are some used cars around that might still have the Throttle Mod  / Kickdown Mod done by previous owners,

just as there are going to be cars out there that still have Remaps in the ECU.)

george

George

The DSG does have a distinct kickdown, that's why it's got a detent and an electrical switch. The DSG will change down more readily than a torque converter box when you put your foot down quickly but if it can it changes down an extra gear if you press the pedal onto the kickdown switch.  Whilst checking the behaviour earlier I sat on constant throttle @ 50mph in Drive.  When I planted my foot without using kickdown it changed down from 7th to 4th. I then repeated with hitting kickdown (same road, same speed) and it changed from 7th to 3rd.

I also checked the revs that it changes up at when on full throttle and on full throttle with kickdown. Change up was around 6900rpm without kickdown and 7200rpm with kickdown. This was in drive NOT sport.

Phil

I know i have driven about 40,000 miles with them.

I regularly do double kickdowns, down, lift ,down, or back to 'S' or across to Manual down 1 or 2 gears and kickdown, the car is full of choices.

?

Is this a CTHE that is going into the red to change at 7,200 rpm ?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/272235-dsg-kickdown-is-this-normal

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/302993-kick-down-in-manual

Edited by goneoffSKi

Of you are knocking it down 2 gears with the paddles or stick, you are putting into temporary manual mode, so it won't shift up until it hits the redline or you upshift using the paddles or stick. Sorry if this has already been mentioned! :-)

Personally I put it right back to ''D'. I let the box do all the upshifts, it does them quickly and without hanging on to it is near the Redline.

That is when getting a Shift on, and driving fast.

That why i can not understanding anyone just mashing the pedal.

You can get 100 in 4th & 110 in 5th 120+ in 6th, if you are in Manual,

and you can get there quicker if you want without RPM above 5,500 rpm.  Its about getting the Super & Turbo before 3,500 rpm and using the Torque that is available.   But each to their own and how they use the Twinchargers and DSG.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

I know i have driven about 40,000 miles with them.

I regularly do double kickdowns, down, lift ,down, or back to 'S' or across to Manual down 1 or 2 gears and kickdown, the car is full of choices.

?

Is this a CTHE that is going into the red to change at 7,200 rpm ?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/272235-dsg-kickdown-is-this-normal

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/302993-kick-down-in-manual

George

I'm confused by what you mean by double kickdowns. You say down, lift, down.  This doesn't do anything different from down on mine.  Assuming you when you say down you mean fully down and hitting the kickdown switch.

Mine's a CAVE and changes at 7200 if it's kicked down in D, is in S or is in manual (all assuming I've got full throttle applied).  It's got the latest CAVE engine map but I've yet to check to see if it needs the 34F7 DSG service campaign.

If I get some free time I'll work out how to get VCDS doing it's full logging and post some graphs.

Phil

Edited by PhilTheGeek

Cheers,

No need for showing me them, i know how i use the box, and yes i hit the switch twice and do double kickdowns, but not only on my Twinchargers,

with others & on both CAVE & CTHE Standard and Stage 1.

Works for me, but i have only 1 foot and have only ever driven autos, and just about every type.

I think i get the best out of the DSG that i can, and i time them to see what works best, i have yet to see one that goes past 7,000 rpm.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

George

The DSG does have a distinct kickdown, that's why it's got a detent and an electrical switch. The DSG will change down more readily than a torque converter box when you put your foot down quickly but if it can it changes down an extra gear if you press the pedal onto the kickdown switch.  Whilst checking the behaviour earlier I sat on constant throttle @ 50mph in Drive.  When I planted my foot without using kickdown it changed down from 7th to 4th. I then repeated with hitting kickdown (same road, same speed) and it changed from 7th to 3rd.

I also checked the revs that it changes up at when on full throttle and on full throttle with kickdown. Change up was around 6900rpm without kickdown and 7200rpm with kickdown. This was in drive NOT sport.

Phil

Yep, that is exactly what I found.