Electric Door Mirror Option Now Available

O3'S with folding mirrors fold upon lock only, long button press is a Mk2 thing.

A while ago the controllers for the mirrors got updated (from a certain build week) older models used to unfold upon ignition on, newer vehicles unfold upon unlock.

All you can do is disable the auto fold/unfold upon lock/unlock by disabling the "fold mirrors whilst parked" setting in the infotainment. You'd then have to manually fold/unfold using the mirror switch.

OK thanks that's great to know. We've just been camping for a couple of weeks and everytime we wanted something out of the car (usually about 10 times in the first hour :-)) it felt like we were wearing them out! Manual seems the way forward for longevity!

My Australian spec RS is on its way (on a ship - left Belgium and docked in UK - now on West coast of Africa, one stop in South Africa then first port in Australia is me)!

Just so long as the route doesn't take it past Somalia!

For some reason my MKIII Octy Elegance arrived with electric folding mirrors with courtesy lights underneath even though I didn't order it (or subsequently pay for it either). Car arrived end of June. I don't know if they are heated or not? Damn useful though!

So, I'm about to order a 1.4 tsi dsg Elegance estate - brochure says it gets electrically folding, adjustable and heated door mirrors. No mention of them being auto dimming or having the puddle lights.  Configurator has two options for adding folding mirrors, one if you also spec elec seats and says auto dimming, boarding spots and memory function, one just saying auto dimming. Both show the boarding spots.

I have the electric folding mirrors with dimming and spots on my Mk2 (specced as an extra at the time back in 2010) and want them on my new one.  What the hell is the configurator option for?? Do I not get the dimming function and/or spots as standard, although as you got them I guess if you get the folding mirrors, you get the full package with dimming and spots?  Or am I just wasting my time looking at the configurator?

I got my elegance in March and it had spots as standard so, I'd expect yours to have the spots but, not the dimming unless you use the just "auto dimming" option.  The other option seems to be for those that want memory seats and mirrors function.  Or thas the way I read it, check with your salesperson.

When people refer to;

"spots", is that the puddle lights?

"auto-dimming wing mirrors" is that the puddle lights dimming OR glass in mirror?

I think I'm getting mixed up with auto-dipping (probably to do with the folding mirror option only available with electric seats).

I have electric folding mirrors with lights underneath, how can I tell if they are auto-dimming? 

Shine a torch directly at the mirror at night... auto dimming mirrors will then darken (blacken in appearance) and the reflective glare from the torch should dramatically reduce.

My Elegance defo has electric, heated folding mirrors with the puddle lights underneath (that light the floor), which now sounds to be standard issue (on Elegance). I'll do a torch check tomorrow and post an update!

Edited by airscool

From memory the dimming door mirrors could be checked by looking at the glass. If there is a 'ring' about 1cm in from the mirror casing around the glass that's the AD facility. The glass will also be slightly darker inside the 'ring'. Saves waiting 'til night  :D

7816893684_565e240a31.jpg

Look around the edges, you will notice the line.

Well sadly I have to confirm there is no ring! 

I have to say blinding from a wing mirror is not something I have had a major issue with and wouldn't have paid extra for anyway.

So to confirm standard on the Elegance does not include dimming, well not on my order anyway, it might well do in a future permutation.

Very happy with the folding/heating and puddles though.

Auto dimming mirrors are really good, they basically have photo chromatic centres same as the rear view mirror, the sensors in the auto dimming rear view mirror control those too.

My Dad had them in his old Audi A5 and now on his 1 series and it's brilliant at night even as a passenger not getting glare from the passenger mirror at night.

If these had been an option when I'd ordered my Elegance I'd have gone for them for sure, though again think it's rather a shame you have to pay near full price just to get the dimming glass, would have been better if SUK had just made these standard on Elegance models.

Only downside.....If you break dimming mirror glass it ain't half bloody expensive to replace!

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 1

If these had been an option when I'd ordered my Elegance I'd have gone for them for sure, though again think it's rather a shame you have to pay near full price just to get the dimming glass, would have been better if SUK had just made these standard on Elegance models.

From what I can see (though I have not really watched out for the effect of auto dimming) we have all of this as standard on Elegance over here, also on our 2014 model. Strange this about the huge differences in standard equipment between markets! Have to say I like the automatic folding, but can not say I have noticed the spots or the dimming yet. The heater is not tested either, probably due to usually parking in a rather large garage.

You need to shine the torch at the light sensor on the rear view mirror - it operates in conjunction with the auto dimming rear view mirror, so you need to simulate a car coming up behind you at night with full beam on to get them to operate.

• Like 1

I have the ring around edge, I didnt notice any difference with torch shined into it.

You wouldn't as explained above their dimming function is driven by the sensors in the dimming rear view mirror, also if you turn off the dimming rear view mirror it will deactivate the dimming of the wing mirrors also.

Finally you only have dimming mirrors if the glass in the mirror housing has the line around the glass near to the edge as shown in a photo above. If completely plain glass you don't have auto dimming (ought to also be obvious at night as you'll still experience glare in your side mirrors without it.

• Like 3

Just spotted this chaps, I know it's been mentioned in the past.

Electrically heated, adjustable, folding and auto-dimming door mirrors are now available as an option on Octavia vRS, Scout and Elegance. 

Octavia vRS and Scout

Octavia Elegance

Basic price

£145.83

£104.17

RRP

£175

£125

Just checked the UK Brochure May 2014 and powered heated mirrors are standard from S upwards with powered folding standard on Elegance, VRS and L&K

Here in Spain you have to get the driver's seat with memory to be able to get the special mirrors with memory.

If you don't, what are the mirrors like? Do they fold electrically? Are they heated? Do they have the auto dimming?

Thanks!