We are buying a dog.

MattHunt

I have 2 rescued dogs. They are big, smelly dopey, but so loveable, cuddly and funny.They're a breed that's been called goldendoodle apparently. Golden retriever crossed with poodle

They don't malt so they need a haircut every now and then, probably contributes to their smell :D

I have 2 rescued dogs. They are big, smelly dopey, but so loveable, cuddly and funny.They're a breed that's been called goldendoodle apparently. Golden retriever crossed with poodle

They don't malt so they need a haircut every now and then, probably contributes to their smell :D

They got it the wrong way round;

It's not Gonldendoodle......

..............It's Poo-retriever

Explains the smell  :D

Edited by mender

I grew up with English Cocker Spaniels great little dogs.

You have to differentiate between the working stock and the 'pet' stock.

If the dog comes from working stock it'll be much more energetic and have much more stamina. They're also hard as nails for little dogs and basically unstoppable when they get going. You will never tire it out.

The pet stock is a lot softer, lazier and laid back.

They are very stubborn dogs but make good pets because they are generally not aggressive

I can second this

My mum has a working cocker (thinner, leaner and usually more leggy than a show cocker).

It is worked in the shooting season, as well as on retrieving pigeons and plenty of four legged friends in the summer. The dog is like Forrest Gump, a marathon runner, it will zig zag and cover ground whether it is through deep heather, brambles, nettles, or bracken at a seemingly constant pace for the entire day.

From day to day the dog spends the entire day outside, exploring gardens and grounds that my mum tends to, (she is a gardener), thus giving it the ideal, in my opinion, lifestyle for a working dog, being outside through rain and shine, with it's master, all day, every day.

I not a fan of leaving a dog at home from nine till five, I know that there isn't any option in a lot of cases, but I still think it is a long time for a dog to go without interaction or stimulus.

Be firm with the spaniel, as it is a very determined breed, the training , as many others have said, needs to start early and be through and continuous, although as you said your other half has had experience with dogs so I would of thought that the training side of things won't be a problem.

As for the child / dog saga - I can't comment as I don't have children, I can say though that a dog alone is a handful, so good luck if you've got both!

JRJG

• Like 1

If I was to get a dog I think I'd probably get a rescue Greyhound since they don't need a lot of walking.

Re: previous two posts, a greyhound or a whippet will be calmer and easier than your choice, so if you feel it is going to work with your lifestyle/kids/finances/sanity, it may be worth looking at this type of dog.

I can honestly say that in all the years I spent going round other people's houses, the only dogs that did not bother me or put me off with the smell were greyhounds and whippets.

..............It's Poo-retriever

I think they all do that when nobodys looking....

I swear my mum thinks she has a self cleaning litter tray for her cats :rofl:

• Like 3

Re: previous two posts, a greyhound or a whippet will be calmer and easier than your choice, so if you feel it is going to work with your lifestyle/kids/finances/sanity, it may be worth looking at this type of dog.

I can honestly say that in all the years I spent going round other people's houses, the only dogs that did not bother me or put me off with the smell were greyhounds and whippets.

We stayed at a greyhound rescue centre which is also a  B and B in the lake district. 

They had about 14 in while we were there and you could smell them alright.... 

Lovely docile dogs though, my mum has just gotten her second greyhound after 

the first died about a year and a half ago after a fairly long happy life. They found the first wandering 

around the park as someone had dumped it and driven off so took it home and looked after it for 

over 10 years. The second is/was a rescue dog. 

Terrible thieves though greyhounds, being tall when stood on back legs and having a screwdriver nose

helps. 

They look lovely Charlie and sound like some right characters.

We have had two rescue dogs from the RSPCA and both have been great.

When our first dog Mickey died, it was very tough but at least he went at home and went suddenly.

Took a bit of time to get another, but Nitro our second is lovely and great with my bros kids too, and in six weeks time good with mine too hopefully.

Can't imagine life without a dog tbh. nitro is a collie crossed with a lurcher, boy can he run and chase a ball, makes me feel knackered just watching him lol.

post-18909-0-16268600-1407436597_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I would like to add please go to a rescue centre some of the puppies you buy are "from farmed dogs". At our local centre there are 2 bitches that have been abandoned as they can't breed any more. Please think about all the dogs needing a new forever home before giving hard earned money to puppy farms

• Like 2

Here's a pic from the greyhound rescue place we stayed at on our recent road trip.  

Just a phone snap so don't expect too much.  

Such lovely inquisitive friendly dogs., they all came to the gate 

whenever you went in or out. But although the place was spotlessly clean and the lady 

running it was very friendly and cared about the plight of greyhounds very much indeed.

Maybe because I'm a fairly recently converted non smoker who has rediscovered his sense of smell

but I could still smell dog even though there wasn't so much as a hair or a speck of dust in the place.

They were lovely though, there was one occasion where they were like this pic but three

deep LOL I fussed them all. 

IMAG0364_zpseabjmrlr.jpg

I would like to add please go to a rescue centre some of the puppies you buy are "from farmed dogs". At our local centre there are 2 bitches that have been abandoned as they can't breed any more. Please think about all the dogs needing a new forever home before giving hard earned money to puppy farms

It's not just the pups. My current rescue is ( we suspect) an ex puppy farm breed bitch. She was found dumped ,no collar ,no chip . And from her looks of a fairly high pedigree. Her coat is now returning to normal, from being virtually sparse when I got her  .My groomer reckons dog has had pups every season for a few years, till breeder found out that KC would not register any more pups. No papers = worthless pups. So instead of offering her to a rescue as an ex breed dog, she was dumped. As in last post- select your breed, find a breed rescue ( if it's just a pet you want) and rehome one. Expect to have to work and love (lots of it ) ,but the most marvellous feeling is when  the timid dog that shies away from a pat wants to get on your knee.

Greyhounds, I must admit I have a soft spot for, though in my house they'd be a bit on the large side, but the cats would think twice before coming in. Possibly it's because I class them in the same league as ex puppy farm bitches. They've mad money for the owners and get cast aside when they can't. Big soft loving dogs. my last little ? Cairn ( in cairn terms he was a giant, 13kg of muscle ,and a lot bigger than breed standard) thought Greyhounds were put on this earth for him to chase. Comical to see his legs at mach 1, whilst the greyhound just loped along. He'd never heard that Greyhounds chase furry little things.

Edited by VWD

They look lovely Charlie and sound like some right characters.

We have had two rescue dogs from the RSPCA and both have been great.

When our first dog Mickey died, it was very tough but at least he went at home and went suddenly.

Took a bit of time to get another, but Nitro our second is lovely and great with my bros kids too, and in six weeks time good with mine too hopefully.

Can't imagine life without a dog tbh. nitro is a collie crossed with a lurcher, boy can he run and chase a ball, makes me feel knackered just watching him lol.

They are fantastic Lee :) they think they are lap dogs too which is funny. Having a dog really makes your life complete.

After having a really crap day at work it's lovely having 2 friends happily wagging their tails waiting to greet you :)

• Like 1

Lovely! You have a Kelpie too?

4 Year old here genaqery.jpg

Yer great dog. Such a nice temperament. We got her at 7 weeks. Do you get the same as question as we do 'ooo what breed is it'?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Yes I get a lot of is it an Alsatian? No it's a Kelpie

If SWMBO knew you had one and were local she would be asking if it's a boy or girl as she wants puppies.

Sent from my Galaxy S5