Difficult 3rd gear engagement 1.9tdiPD Roomster 2, 2007, 66.6k miles.

Hi, anyone experienced this, suggestions to cure fault?  Happens esp. just after cold start, feels like there's an overcooked bread roll right where I want to push the lever to get 3rd!

Is this the synchro failing?  Would a change of gearbox oil help? Or an additive?

Thanks

Richard

P.S. Anyone get any pix of my blue Roomster at Blyton, complete with miniature replicas on dash?

Thanks Bryan, I'll hold onto that thought, firstly I asked my MOT test place to have a peep underneath, they reckon to have tweaked the appropriate selector cable a bit whilst also doing the test this afternoon, seemed a bit better when I did the weekly groceries run earlier this evening, shall monitor the next cold start, which might not now be till next Tuesday..... Oh, it passed, just an Advisory on rear discs and pads. Very low smoke reading!

Thanks again

Richard

If I remember correctly, the oil change trick is to cure what feels like faulty synchromesh on second gear.

Richard's description of an "overcooked bread roll" in the gate does tend to suggest a different problem, perhaps with the selector cable or mechanism.  Hope it's a simple fix.

Many thanks for your input, Robjon;

As I now have a hirevan for work, and my next day-off isn't till next Tuesday, that's probably the next chance I'll get to try it from cold, which is when the obstructiveness shows itself.

BTW, only three (full-size) Roomsters seen at Blyton last Sunday, Barrie's grey Vroomster with the BLUE racing wheels, and a mystery brown one that made a brief mid-afternoon visit, plus my Ocean Blue, and two smaller in same colour on my dashtop, both from Abrex, one at 1:43, the other 1:72.  they being the "Far Less Roomster" and the "Almost No Roomster At All"!

Richard

I recently had the selector fork for 4th gear break, so while the gearbox was apart they replaced the synchro from 3rd to 4th as it was showing signs of wear. Everything else was in good condition. The car is going back in as it doesn't feel like it's been adjusted properly and I have the same issue as you with 3rd gear - not every time but occasionally feels like there's a little something in the way preventing it from fully slotting in, an extra push and it goes fine but after shelling out on the repairs I'm not settling for any inconsistencies. That said, is it within reason for a gearbox to have these issues? my car is just over 100k and everyone that hears of my trouble launches into a diatribe of how shoddy the build quality is as "gearboxes should last at least 150k without issues".

:envy:

I had the other issue previously with 1st to 2nd needing half a second pause before engaging without grinding. That was cured by a gearbox oil change.

Just in case anyone hasn,t seen this video which may help.

On mine I always felt 2nd was quite in the right place.I found the pin you insert at the gear-lever end had to be an interference fit.I made one from a bit of scrap I had in my garage,nails and drill bits wouldn,t do they were to lose in the plastic hole and socket.I put a bend in it ,so I didn,t have to remove the gearknob. .And it took me about 6 goes to get it right.

Also changed the oil,and I think both helped a bit.

I also think you just can,t rush the gear changes,they just have to be leisurely and you get no problems.

• Like 1