Have Alloy Pedals? Please Read.

CB1

Hello all,

I'm going to say this isn't a complaint thread, I'm not going to be whining or telling you my car is the worst car of ever.

A few weeks ago, without any real warning, my "alloy" accelerator pedal fell off. As it turns out the "alloy" part is just a cover slipped over the normal pedals, and is not secured in any way other than friction. There is no hook over the top of the pedal either so is held on by interference fit side and bottom by rubber grooves, sp it really is just hanging on. Thankfully when mines came off (I assume it had been off for sometime by this stage) it only jammed underneath my clutch so I simply knocked the car out of gear and kicked it out the way, but I am very aware that it could well have been the brake pedal and been a very different story. I have tried refitting the cover and it has fallen off again, this time with me monitoring it so was kept well away from any other pedals.

So, the point in this thread; I urge anyone with a Monte/vRS and any other models with these covers, please quickly check they are secure. This may be a localised incident but best be safe than sorry.

As it is, I will be reporting this to Skoda to make them aware of the issue and see what comes of it.  

• Like 1

What is the Story, have you had the car from New so you know that someone has not had the pedal changed and back on.

How many miles on the car.?

Daniella will see you ok.

Not so sure that Skoda will care, thousands of the cars with the pedals and yours is the second one i have heard of anyone on here having issues.

george

I had something similar on my mk1 VRS (which i'm pretty sure runs the same pedals) and i deconstructed them to be sure.

Yes the accelerator cover is just "slipped on" and can come off.

Mine did it on the wife's car as the previous owner had put a chunk of wood under the carpet in the footwell that kept catching the edge when you pushed the throttle down (I assume it was a crude form of traction control for the previous owners wife :D)

Anyways the cover popped off when i put all my force behind it on the drive home.

The brake pedal cover however is attached in a much more secure way though.

The alloy cover has a large rubber bung on the back of it which has to be forced through the metal pedal to secure it in place.

I took mine off recently to see if they'd port across to my new Ibiza (which horrifically doesn't have alloy pedals) and it took me ages and plenty of swearing to get it back in.

I'm pretty sure there is no way under normal foot operation that it could come off

found an image

accelerator - brake  - clutch

Stainless-Clutch-Accelerator-Gas-Brake-p

note the difference in the middle pedal

central bung looking bit goes through the pedal to secure it in place

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, not been on in a while. Car owned from new (2 years), pedals never removed and just over 7000 miles. The car is in on the 10th to have its timing chain replaced so I will be letting them know then. As said above, wether they care or not is a different matter.

Edited by CB1

If 'they' is the Dealership, then dont worry about them.or what they think.

Just get in touch with Skoda Uk Customer Services. Let them know your concerns.

Then they can contact the Dealership prior to your visit and ask them to check out the issue.  Saves the dealership technicians saying oohh,  ahhh, etc.

george

• Like 1

Sorry, not been on in a while. Car owned from new (2 years), pedals never removed and just over 7000 miles. The car is in on the 10th to have its timing chain replaced so I will be letting them know then. As said above, wether they care or not is a different matter.

7000 miles and 2 years? Its hardly been anywhere! Haha.

Also. Timing chain replaced? Am i missing something here? Is this because of a noise?