New vRS - softer suspension?

Hi All

Been registered here for 3 years now since I got my 1st vRS but never had occasion to post until now. As a company car driver, I have just had to replace my beloved little Rallye Green beast. So, not having had quite enough of a good thing, I basically ordered exactly the same car but this time in Race Blue (love that blue, BTW).

It arrived yesterday and I was very chuffed. Replaced the indicator bulbs straight away with Osram Diadems which look superb with the blue paintwork. Took it to fill it up with petrol & it was fine. Then later, when I went to pick my missus up, I noticed that it felt odd going over speed bumps. A motorway drive down the bumpy bit of the M62 east of Warrington later confirmed it: the suspension is definitely softer and more bouncy than my last car. I don't like it. Have Skoda changed the spec in the last couple of years?

Cheers

John

Enjoy your new car.

Not aware of much in the way of a change between the early and later vRS, Springs, Dampers or Bushes, but there might be differences from suppliers now.

Your springs might well settle after a good few miles and some weight carried if you are still running in.

Are the tyres on this car the same as were on the last one. and have you set at the same pressure,

the different brands and a few PSI pressure difference can make a fair difference.

george

• Like 1

Thanks George. I have checked the tyre pressures, a couple were slightly out, but that didn't seem to make a difference when I re-tested. Tyres are different make to last car but same spec. Will re-evaluate after it's had a few hundred miles to run in.

Cheers

John

there has been a change in suspension (not specifically springs and dampers) but in bushes , so i assume some hardware too... as if you arder a polybush set , they need to know whether its an older car or after CTHE ....

have you not noticed a difference in the drive? the gearbox is programmed differently, and the CTHE is more powerful..... (you may not get this yet though, it may feel less powerful if its yet to run in a few thousand miles....)

They do settle down a bit, mines now up to 4600 miles and it has changed quite noticeably, i was really disappointed with mine when i got it new in January, didn't drive anything like i remembered the demo car i tested prior to agreeing the sale. The ride height has dropped, it's still to high and needs lowering but it is obvious that it has settled, the tyres are also near end of there life now and the grip is much better with less block/tread moving around under the car, the front end bushes feel very soft when pressing on a bit but this has also got better with mileage going up, the engine/gearbox are awesome, fact!

• Like 1

Totally disagree on the Dunlops on a vRS.

Dunlop Sportmaxx are perfectly fine as road tyres on a Fabia Mk2 vRS IMO, they give the best Fuel Economy in normal use, perform well in the dry, not badly in the wet unless you give it too much throttle.

You might want Winter Tyres in some areas of the country, but the Dunlops cope OK in the Snow and cold if you are only having it for a few days a year.

You need to set the tyre pressures correctly with them though.  

Just as you do with with all tyres really.

Pirelli Zero Nero i find give a very hard ride when fitted to a vRS, they have a very hard sidewall, and are going to be less prone to damage on bad roads,

and they perform OK, it is just the crashier fide might be noticeable, and the lighter steering.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

we will have to agree to disagree George... when I bought my new car and the eibachs were on, I expected it to handle better, I'm not saying the dunlops were poor (maxxis Z1's on my old 50k vRS standard suspension) they were SO poor in comparison on dry grip (similar on wet) that I had at least 50% less grip ... I was so dissapoineted with the nasty understeery new car I had, I almost gave it back to them... I thought there was something seriously wrong with it, even though they said it was ok.... I gave it just one chance... put my old wheels on with the maxxis tyres.... and it totally transformed the car!

was like night and day.

Shark.

Any tyres that come from the Second biggest Car Manufacturing group in the world fitted as standard can be improved on, 

with something other than Dunlops, Continentals, Goodyears etc,  or even just better tyres from those same manufacturer.

But as a Tyre the Dunlops suit lots of people and how they use them.

If they are a Handicap to the car, then that is not good, but i just happen to like them for what i want.

george

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with both Shark and George. I find the Dunlops overly hard but they do work great on the dry for me. Also I'm currently left with 3-5mm of tread and I don't feel any loss in traction at all, they grip as well as new. I also think the difference the OP mentions is probably down to the different tyres tbh.

Edited by newbie69

Maybe just me,

but i would not go over that type of hump at that type of speed on 205/40 R 17's and not really on 215/40 R 17's,

reason being the Tyres and the dampers taking a pounding..

?

So what tyres have the car come fitted with, what pressure do you run them at, and how many miles on the car now?

Looking at the Vid again that car does not half wallow.

(& with lowering springs on i would think the front valance would be well damaged.)

On some speed bumps at that speed i could see damage to the undertray, or worse even than that.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Maybe just me,

but i would not go over that type of hump at that type of speed on 205/40 R 17's and not really on 215/40 R 17's,

reason being the Tyres and the dampers taking a pounding..

?

So what tyres have the car come fitted with, what pressure do you run them at, and how many miles on the car now?

+1  The OP looks very brave in that video.

I like the term "wallow"! Hadn't thought of that word. But why is it doing this? Doesn't seem to be damped enough IMHO. The vid was specially designed to show the issue but my missus reckons she was driving about 8mph. My 2011 vRS used to be fine i.e. didn't wallow. 

Tyres are the ones it came with: Continental SportContact 2 205/40 R17 84W and inflated to 2.5/2.4 bar as per spec.

Cheers

John

It does look very soft, and as unlikely that it is,

there might be the wrong dampers or springs fitted from the Factory.  

It is going to be a case of looking at the Numbers on the Springs and dampers to see.

Ask the Dealership to have the Technicians get it on the Ramp and check it out, but i fully expect them to not be pleased at that and saying their time is being wasted.

If the Service Manager questions you, show him your video and maybe this one as well.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

No need to bother with dealers, just jack it up, take one front and one back wheel off and read the numbers. What's on the vid I'd consider absolutely normal for stock suspension. It is soft as it is made with a view on comfort and not fast road/track day handling performance. Despite people who installed lowered suspension swearing by retained comfort (and they are subjectively right) the ride quality suffers quite a lot.

It's fixed! Took it into Lightcliffe Skoda in Warrington (who were not the supplying dealers) and they found that the shipping blocks were still in the NS springs! This explains a lot and confirms I wasn't going mad. I knew there was something up with it!

Really glad it's sorted. Drives SO much better now, just like my old one. Feels like a new car. Which it is ;-)

Cheers

John

• Like 1