New Octavia 1.8 DSG 4x4

Am considering trading in a 1.9PD for a new model.

Anyone with a 2013 Octavia 1.8 petrol care to comment on fuel economy?

Finnish dealers are quoting 4-6 months lead time and won't discount off the price list. How's the situation elsewhere? Anyone managing to get dealers to discount or are Skoda's order books really so full?

Anything to watch out for with this 1.8 DSG 4x4 model?

Greetings from tropical Finland.

Try different dealers for discount,

Magazines in the uk were saying something like a 10%discount should be the figure you aim for.

First dealer I went to wouldn't move on price, I went elsewhere and got a nice discount.

susi, I hope you realize this is the least fuel efficient car in the whole Octavia range :) So if you know this, don't be too concerned with the fuel consumption, especially when you compare it with mk2 1.9 TDI. I know this, because I also had a Mk2 1.9 TDI before :)

So as per your questions:

- I remember getting approx. 10% discount after all options. However the accessories fitted had no discount

- Unless you do a lot of driving on empty roads between towns, be prepared for double-digit figures. I get a minimum of 10-11 L in town with traffic and when doing 160 km+ on motorways. Otherwise you can go as low as 7-8 L, but you have to be very careful and gentle, i.e. driving miserable :)

Other things of note:

- The max speed is easily achievable when you put your DSG in S-mode. Mine did it's top speed in 5th gear (not 6th)

- the 0-100 time quoted is adequate, I've managed 7 seconds with launch control. It's fun

- The 4x4 is rewarding as I've tested various conditions, i.e. reversing uphill in the snow, speeding in wet corners (havent tried sand, do you have much in Finland? :)) and it behaves very good. I even got my tail happy on several corners and this is when you feel the back wheels really kicking in. However the drawback is that in normal driving you feel the 4x4 slowing the DSG responses a bit

- In Bulgaria this version comes only as an estate, I got mine for 3 months after ordering

Hope this helps!

Edited by PUFPAF

Thanks guys for the responses :)

I guess you guys managed 10% for a cash sale? I've still got some more dealers to try, so will see if they're more flexible...

90% of my driving is on open roads, I only use the brakes twice on my 25Km commute. There's little traffic here in this area of Finland. I've pulled away from the diesel option because a), I don't want the hassle of the DPF re-gen programme possibly not suiting my normal driving, and B), because of the 450€ additional road tax we need to pay for a diesel. Taxation on diesel at the pump has also risen, so it feels like I'm paying the tax twice. But with those quoted litres/100Km figures, I think a diesel might still be slightly cheaper overall.

PUFPUF, there are plenty of sand/gravel roads here, and of course plenty of ice and snow in the season, so it is good to hear some positive first-hand experience about the handling :)

Thanks again, it's great to hear from people who have driven both the car I have and my future purchase :)

The fuel economy is pretty bad. But who cares. In traffic 0.8-0.9L, long trips gives 0.58ish at 80-90kmh. Spirited driving is about the same as traffic.

The only drawback is that its a Haldex 4x4, not a proper system like a A6 Quattro has. This is the reason I did not buy it. Tried it, but felt the FWD handled better, less noise in cabin, and added the 7th gear, and I didn't really have any traction issues with only 180HP. The 4x4 is 100kg heavier than FWD DSG fyi.

Edited by johnabrahamsen

Hello

I have the 1.8 liter petrol dsg 4x4

I would never buy it again for the fuelconsumption.

It uses 8.9 liter / 100 km

And thats when i drive carefully and economicly

When driving in the mountains and city it uses more than 9.2 liters

hope i could help you

Thanks for the input and help :)

I managed a 12% discount of the pre-tax price, so not bad.

In summary, it looks like a capable vehicle on ice/snow, but the fuel consumption is going to sting..

In summary, it looks like a capable vehicle on ice/snow

It is great on snow! Had it last winter already and was driving off in to the fields on purpose just to have fun in the deep snow

And because it's only 1300kg light you have less problems stopping on ice

Even towing is fun and the torque is plenty

Guys come on, of course it will consume more fuel than you might like. It's a turbo petrol, four-wheel drive estate with auto-box.

You give compared to the rest of the range, but also does the car. It gives you everything. Fuel consimption should not be the prime issue when you want everything from a car :)

Guys come on, of course it will consume more fuel than you might like. It's a turbo petrol, four-wheel drive estate with auto-box.

You give compared to the rest of the range, but also does the car. It gives you everything. Fuel consimption should not be the prime issue when you want everything from a car :)

You are absolutely right. But the dealer advertise the car with a consumption of under 6 liters...

There is the problem not the car!

For what the tsi 4x4 is, I don't think the fuel economy is that bad. Our Octavia has avaraged 8.3l/100km (34mpg) over 4900km. This in a car that weighs close to 1600kg with fuel and driver, has 180hp and a torqueband a diesel never can achieve, four wheel drive and automatic transmission. I can only say that i'm very happy with the Octavia, and would recommend the drivetrain to anyone who has four seasons and steep hills.

- Robert, Norway

OK the order is placed. Got a good deal after a little work.

Denim blue with black interior. Was just looking at the great pics on the photo thread, raceblue also looks very sharp.

Anyone else torn between denim and race? What interior did you choose?

• Like 1

Guys did you ever considered diesel instead of a petrol?

I had petrol VRS mk2 back in time and while it was a great car, the urban consnumption was around 13lit/100km (21.7mls/gal) Most of my riding is downtown, almost 80% of it.

Later on i had Passat CC, which I sold when the family become bigger. It was my first diesel + dsg. I really loved it. I was averaging 8.5lit/100km(33mls/gal) in same conditions.

That's a huge difference.

Now I'm thinking to change my Sportage for the new Octavia Combi.

Thing is, I'm torn between the 1.8 4x4 dsg & 2.0tdi 4x4 dsg.

I realize that some of you can keep it well below 10lit/100km,but it would be impossible for my commuting.

FYI, The price difference in Croatia is 1900£ btw the two.

4x4 is another thing I'm not sure about, but that's another story.

Thx in advance for your help.

I couldn't find a link in English to post, but in Finland we pay an additional ~450€ a year car tax to drive a diesel car. For anyone doing <20,000Km a year, the difference in cost isn't massive. If fuel costs shift a few cents either way, you could be better off with diesel or benzine.

I couldn't find a link in English to post, but in Finland we pay an additional ~450€ a year car tax to drive a diesel car. For anyone doing <20,000Km a year, the difference in cost isn't massive. If fuel costs shift a few cents either way, you could be better off with diesel or benzine.

450!? Jeez.. In Croatia we pay less road taxes on diesel, cause the emissions are lower. Now we have the situation where VRS tdi is 2000€ cheaper out of the shop, than the petrol equivalent. Before was the Tfsi was 3000€ cheaper. Edited by cosmic