trim rattle

I've had my Skoda superb estate elegance for nearly two months now, and am generally really impressed with it. There is only one thing that is getting on my nerves, which is the presence of a bit of rattle from the roof trim whenever I go over a bump in the road. Now some people might not even notice this, but unfortunately trim rattles are a real bugbear of mine, even though virtually every car I have owned has had some to a greater or lesser extent. The car has a sunroof fitted, and the rattle emanates from the roof trim in front of the sunroof, around the courtesy lights. I recall a friend of mine had a Skoda Rapid a while ago, which generally served him well, but the one thing which annoyed him was trim rattles. I wondered if anyone else has this problem, whether it fixable, or whether I am just expecting a bit too much from this car?

I've had my Skoda superb estate elegance for nearly two months now, and am generally really impressed with it. There is only one thing that is getting on my nerves, which is the presence of a bit of rattle from the roof trim whenever I go over a bump in the road. Now some people might not even notice this, but unfortunately trim rattles are a real bugbear of mine, even though virtually every car I have owned has had some to a greater or lesser extent. The car has a sunroof fitted, and the rattle emanates from the roof trim in front of the sunroof, around the courtesy lights. I recall a friend of mine had a Skoda Rapid a while ago, which generally served him well, but the one thing which annoyed him was trim rattles. I wondered if anyone else has this problem, whether it fixable, or whether I am just expecting a bit too much from this car?

Do you have glasses in the sunglasses holder (near the courtesy lights) by any chance - could be a cause.  Also that clip mechanism in the holder can get a bit loose sometimes if you use the holder a lot.  The mic is also located around there but not sure if that would cause it.  Have you changed any internal bulbs recently?

Have exactly the same rattle in my car - I thought it was the glasses holder but adding some tape did nothing to change the rattle - seems to come from the front end of the sunroof - the trim is a little loose there - attempts to stop it have failed so far. Some times the rattle is quite prominent and others hardly there at all - don't really know why.

Have you tried opening the sunroof to seeing whether the noise disappears? I was getting a very intrusive creaking that sounded like it was coming from the passenger door from my car that disappeared once I opened the sunroof. A little bit of rubber treatment around the seals and on the top edge of the wind break and the noise was gone, though just opening and closing the sunroof was often enough to silence it temporarily.

Try emptying a can of expanding foam under your roof lining.

It will stop anything rattling!!!

Only joking.

Seriously get somebody else to drive while you investigate the rattle. I find that the rattles are more often from something really simple and from an area often overlooked.

Thanks for the replies. I initially thought it was the sunglasses holder, or at least the catch, but have put a cleaning cloth in there tightly to dampen it and rattle still present. Having the sunroof open does not relieve it, but it is less noticeable because the increased wind noise hides it a bit. Mine also comes and goes, but I think that it simply related to how even the road surface is. My drive to work each day is along bumpy rural roads, so I tend to notice it a lot, and it is also noticeable if you tap the trim with your fingers or let the sun visors snap back into place. It seems to be that the trim in front of the sunroof is not quite a tight enough fit, although I don't know if there is a fix for that?