Dan's Ibiza 1.8T 20vT Track Car WIP

DanHarper

So I bought this from BossFox (its awaiting collection... so not really mine yet:P):

1.jpg

Plans are, either:

a) 1.8T Cordoba conversion

I had a Cordoba for 2 1/2 years and 26k miles, I saw 4 others! I like the rarity even if it is compromised in terms of practicality (the Celica is better in that respect!). I love the idea of a stealth 1.8T Cordoba...

B) 1.8T Fabia conversion

Due to the rarity of the Cordoba, it may be hard to find one suitable and cheap enough. £700 hike for a Cordoba or some nice new suspension parts for my Fabia? Suspension please! Estate may be an option... 1.8T Fabia hatches are too common.

c) Put it back on the road.

This is the fail safe if I chicken out of doing the conversion or something else comes up.

C would be the easier option, but really this whole project isn't about easy options, its about learning and building something for myself, which I love. With either of the conversions I will leave the engine stock for the transfer. Yes there may be a few things that would be easier to do to the engine with it out, but I'm not going to be launching straight in to a quest for POWEEERRR, its all about making it run first!

I won't be starting until after winter, but will be keeping my eyes pealed for parts :)

If you see any of the following going for buttons... let me know :p

Uprated front ARB of some sort... Cupra maybe.

Rear ARB

Strut brace

Brakes... mmm 312mm?

Suspension (Coils, matched dampers/springs)

16" Steel wheels

K04... nah, only kidding :p

Edited by DanHarper
  • Like 1

So I bought this from BossFox (its awaiting collection... so not really mine yet:P):

1.jpg

Plans are, either:

a) 1.8T Cordoba conversion

I had a Cordoba for 2 1/2 years and 26k miles, I saw 4 others! I like the rarity even if it is compromised in terms of practicality (the Celica is better in that respect!). I love the idea of a stealth 1.8T Cordoba...

B) 1.8T Fabia conversion

Due to the rarity of the Cordoba, it may be hard to find one suitable and cheap enough. £700 hike for a Cordoba or some nice new suspension parts for my Fabia? Suspension please! Estate may be an option... 1.8T Fabia hatches are too common.

This is the fail safe if I chicken out of doing the conversion or something else comes up.

C would be the easier option, but really this whole project isn't about easy options, its about learning and building something for myself, which I love. With either of the conversions I will leave the engine stock for the transfer. Yes there may be a few things that would be easier to do to the engine with it out, but I'm not going to be launching straight in to a quest for POWEEERRR, its all about making it run first!

I won't be starting until after winter, but will be keeping my eyes pealed for parts :)

If you see any of the following going for buttons... let me know :p

Uprated front ARB of some sort... Cupra maybe.

Rear ARB

Strut brace

Brakes... mmm 312mm?

Suspension (Coils, matched dampers/springs)

16" Steel wheels

K04... nah, only kidding :p

There is a website that sells 16" steels for I think it was £28 a wheel which is better than some breakers!

£80s the posted price, I'll give you £60 as I'm collecting :p

They have tyres on? Even bald ones just to make moving it easier.

They are brand new 16" steel rims still in the boxes.

So, how long can I keep the Ibiza in the garage before the girlfriend asks why I have another car in there?

She doesn't come in often granted, but I think its a possibility it will still go unnoticed (If it were silver she'd probably just think it was mine or hers, not noticing it was a different make and ours are both on the drive...).

Just need to finish the living room and move all the furniture out :D

I once worked on an engine put on the kitchen table! Never again! Got shouted out the house lol

My girlfriends pretty relaxed, I could probably get away with working on bits in the house. Thankfully there's no need - I built myself a garage last year, insulated, double glazed, unfortunately not big enough really... :( Didn't want to compromise the garden.

My girlfriends pretty relaxed, I could probably get away with working on bits in the house. Thankfully there's no need - I built myself a garage last year, insulated, double glazed, unfortunately not big enough really... :( Didn't want to compromise the garden.

At the moment I've got a Fabia wiring loom and a Stag windscreen sat here in my room :)

Nothing to see here, come back next year! :P

There is a delightful light blue (not going to call it blue rinse!) Cordoba on Gumtree with knackard brakes/clutch, unfortunately it looks like its taken a scrape to the passenger side sill and been left to rust. Waiting on clarification from the owner.

Seems there are lots of Cordoba's in Ireland... not sure I can be bothered to figure out the technicalities of getting one though.

*cough cough* K04 *coughcough*

I suspect the stock 150BHP will be enough in a car I built... but it will probably get a Shark 'Stage 2' remap at some point... once I've spent a few months making sure it doesn't explode :)

:P

The transplant shouldn't actually cost much more than buying a recipient (£500 budget) and replacing a few worn out bits a long the way.

Well, its arrived. So I have a working car and it has a 1.8T in it... that puts me ahead of Toxic surly :P

Quite tidy being low miles, bit of a polish and it would look ok. But its RED, one of the 4 colours I'd not have (the others being yellow, pink and bathroom fantasy green), so I can't wait to start taking it apart :)

• Like 2