Single reverse light issue

Hey, this is probably a really stupid question, but how many reverse lights should a MkI Fabia have? One of my mates today said my left reverse light was dead, so, I replaced it and it's still dead. In fact all I did was switch it for the top break light bulb which was working and nothing. I also tried a brand spanker and that was dead too!

Any ideas why this might occur? The right one works fine by the way!

Thanks, J

Hmmm.... this is something I've never thought to check for! I can't even think how many it's supposed to have!

If one is working fine and you're not getting any annoying dash warning messages up then I'd just leave it. You have a working reversing light and that's the main thing I'd say :)

Hahaha maybe you're right! It's annoying because I can't actually test it by myself!!!

Yes you can, Handbrake on first. Then switch the ignition (2 clicks) switched on until the dash warning lights for

battery oil abs etc illuminate and go through their usual cycle. (POS 2) but DONT go to POS3 which spins up the starter motor. 

Then, with the engine not running obviously.engage reverse gear as you normally do

and then get out walk round and have a look. 

Anyway, I'm pretty sure its two reverse lights and 1 rear fog on these as standard. 

but there is a space for a second rear fog bulb and some simple wiring 

will get two of those working as well.

• Like 3

Really!? Wow. I thought if they're fitted then they are. How come fogs are a failure but not them then?

Only a rear fog light is a failure. Reversing lights are for driver aid and are not necessarily needed so arn't part of the test

• Like 1

Most Fabias only have 1 rear Fog Light and 1 rear Reversing Light, however they are fitted with rear bulb holders within the Light Cluster but are not wired up.

So simply splice into the active Rear Fog & Reversing Light wires and run separate wires under the interior rear boot valance and connect to the non-active bulb holders, fit new bulbs and Hey Presto.

DB.

Only the offside rear fog lamp is testable and can become a failure.  If the car was fitted with a nearside one as well and it was showing white light to the rear it will still pass as a nearside rear fog lamp is non testable and non testable items can't fail.