Elegance brake pad choice

Hi guys.

My rear pads are coming to the end of their use, so I'm going to have to buy a new set soon.

Basically I need some recommendations.   I want a good pad as I'll be blitzing through Germany in a little over a months time.. so just in case I want a set that won't have problems slowing me down, at the same time they need to have decent wear.  I don't mind paying a little extra than standard as it's only likely to be a couple of quid extra.  Obviously they still need to be compatible with the standard discs.

Quick search on ECP gives the following pads as options:

Pagid

Eicher

ATE

Textar

Bosch

Any of the above any good? I have no clue... is there any other type you could recommend that's better than the above?

All help is very much appreciated!

Have you priced up genuine Skoda pads?

Assuming they have served you well up to now then I'd take this as the best type of recommendation...

Brake performance is very similar to tyre reviews, everyone has their own opinion, and it is rare they are the same :D

I'll be honest with you... I don't know what's on the car now and will assume it's the genuine skoda parts although it could be anything.  I dunno if it's me or what but they're a bit ****.  I haven't had to smash the brakes on yet *touch wood*  but they don't seem to slow the car down as much as I would like... may just be me and going from a small car to a big car.. but I like my car to stop when I just touch the brake pedal :)

Is it really that little difference between brake pads manufacturers?  Thought I'd you paid a bit more you get more.

Ohh and maybe I should have mentioned.. I'm not taking it to the stealers to get them refitted,  I don't like chucking my money away, been taking my cars to a m8 for years and will continue to take it to him, just need to source some pads.

From what I remember:

Eicher - ECP own brand from the Orient, made to sound a bit German. Budget.

Pagid - A brand of TMD Friction, who also own Textar, Mintex and Don brands, OE on some cars.

ATE - Artur Teves(?) Definitely an OE supplier of pads, calipers and ABS.

Bosch - Definitely OE on some cars.

Pagid pads I've bought (not that many) seem well-made and have come complete with shims and bolts where necessary.

HTH.

Edited by CombatWombat

If the brakes are always used gently, which is normal if you drive sensibly, they can glaze up over time making them a lot less effective. Try taking the car out to a quiet motorway and braking fairly hard from the speed limit to about 20 mph 2 or 3 times (No need to be anywhere near the ABS kicking in or anything, just get them hot). The brakes should bite a lot better afterwards - worked well on my car after buying it second hand.

• Like 1

This is all good information, thanks for the help guys... and psycho.. tried that on the way home last night and have to say they were a lot sharper by the time I got home... Thanks dude!

If the brakes are always used gently, which is normal if you drive sensibly, they can glaze up over time making them a lot less effective. Try taking the car out to a quiet motorway and braking fairly hard from the speed limit to about 20 mph 2 or 3 times (No need to be anywhere near the ABS kicking in or anything, just get them hot). The brakes should bite a lot better afterwards - worked well on my car after buying it second hand.

+1. Always worked for me too.. SWMBO Focus covers 3 miles a day on average, returning a stonking 22mpg, and I have to clear the brakes (and everything else!) every 3/4 months with a blast down the A3....