Rapid rear brakes - are they really drums on all models now?

Hi, I was looking through SUK website and noticed that every Rapid is now listed with drum rear brakes only.

Is this really the case, even for higher powered models, or just a website error (I know Rapids were initially shipped with disc brakes all round)?

If yes, it would be a case of deliberately cutting down spec to artificially inflate Mk3 Octy's "premium" credentials.

I know outside UK you can get them with all disc brakes, they were sold with discs only initially in the UK, at the same time it was discs/drums as well as discs all round (depending on engine/power) in Ireland. But it seems UK website now states discs / drums for every single model in current range. Also, the Roomster (very similar platform, worse looks but tons better luggage capability) is still sold with discs all round...It very much looks like UK customers got ripped off again...still hoping for a website typo.

Edited by dieselV6

After they lowered the power output to 90hp from 105 they fit smaller discs at front and drums on back. Same here in Denmark, but then again you can modify as you like, from what i understand at the dealer. 

Funnily enough, the UK brochure still states rear disc brakes except 1.2 75ps, the Irish one states some drum some disc depending on power...

Edited by dieselV6

Our TSI 105 MY14 registered in July this year has discs at the back; the only time I've seen drums was on a 1.2HTP notchback.

Hopeful this is just another print error and not SUK opting for yet more cost pruning similar to the Monte; drums in the UK, discs in Europe :wonder:

TP

Our TSI 105 MY14 registered in July this year has discs at the back; the only time I've seen drums was on a 1.2HTP notchback.

That's good to hear, hopefully the higher powered models still get discs all round. But then the SUK website needs a fix.

My guess, so little braking takes place at the rear they fit drum brakes and save production costs ??

Saving production costs is indeed the reason, but at an expense of our safety.  Drums are cheaper to fit for the car manufacturer and a cheaper brake servo can be used, and this is the only reason they are still in existence.

Drum brakes fade under prolonged braking, and then do not recover anywhere as quickly as the discs. While the rear brake contribution is relatively small (though varies depending on car loading), not having rear wheels braking puts additional stress on front disc brakes and can lead to front brakes fading too in turn.  On motorway (abroad), when a lorry pulls out directly ahead of you, panic braking 100mph down to 50mph with a full car is probably enough to boil drums so that on any next application shortly afterwards you only brake with fronts... 

Not to mention the fact that if you go through deep water, drums are easy to flood and again, water does not run off from the drum easily so they will remain flooded for a moment. Disc brakes all round are safer and brake better under pretty much all conditions, and at least for myself I'm buying cars with disc brakes all round only.

I won't get mine until around the middle of October but assuming mine does have drums on the rear how difficult would it be to retrofit discs, or would it be prohibitively expensive to do so?

The last car that I worked on was my Rapid 136 14 years ago other than changing the air filter and brake pads on my last Civic