Draining Coolant?

3 weeks ago (to the day) the coolant level warning light came on when I started the car for the first time that day, I was in a hurry so topped up with tap water, I then promptly forgot about the problem! Today the same thing happened, and whilst there must be a leak (albeit slight), I now realise that topping up with tap water was a mistake. Is it easy to drain the water from the system so that I can replenish with the appropriate coolant? I do appreciate that I must locate the source of the leak, but am also concerned that tap water may cause corrosion(?). Any advice would be appreciated.

Watch this http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/caring-for-your-car/how-to-videos/how-to-check-and-refill-coolant-or-antifreeze

As long as you put some G13 in to top up I don't think you need to do a full drain. The warning light comes on only when the expansion tank is low so not that much really, I used to mix 50/50 G13 with distilled water.

Edited by cnc

Thank you, I saw this earlier, but it doesn't tell you how to drain the existing coolant. I think I need to do this as I have 'contimated' the coolant with tap water.

Thank you, I saw this earlier, but it doesn't tell you how to drain the existing coolant. I think I need to do this as I have 'contimated' the coolant with tap water.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Ideally as you say you need to find the leak, start with the coolant expansion cap as the seal can go over time and it's fairly common. Many people mix the correct coolant with tap water anyway, the coolant additive has anti corrosion properties in it, so don't worry.

Edited by cnc

Thank you I will check the cap as I haven't spotted any obvious leaks. The car is new to me but has done 125k miles - a lot for a car that's only 3 years old (but still feels quite new,) so the seal may be the problem.

Number one priority has to be to find out why the coolant level continues to drop. This is not normal and must be indicating a leak.

By the time you've topped it up another couple of times the tap water will have already leaked out!

I know that the timing belt was changed at 120545 miles in February of this year by a Skoda main agent. Would the water pump be replaced at the same time as a matter of course?

I know that the timing belt was changed at 120545 miles in February of this year by a Skoda main agent. Would the water pump be replaced at the same time as a matter of course?

No, not unless it was requested at the same time. The water pump is not part of the timing belt kit, but is an additional part.

In my opion on a modern VW CR engine, it would be very poor pratice if a main agent did not replace the water pump, also tensioner and idler rollers when changing the timing belt, the extra cost is small.

Who paid for the work and can you see the bill. If you can not find any obvious leak elsewhere I would still have the water pump inspected to give you peace of mind. Worn out water pump bearings and timing belts on this model of engine don't mix! Forget about the tap water you used as others have said.

The toothed belt-tensioning pulley was also replaced (box ticked in service book), so I just need verification from the dealer that the water pump was also replaced. I will do this tomorrow!

The main dealers will rarely offer a water pump if you go in asking for cam belt, and are even less likely to have done it if you didn't ask - these don't figure anywhere on the service schedule as mannyo says.  Crazy really as cam belt time is the only economical time to do it.

My dealer always recommends to change the water and timing belt at the same time and pretty much insists that they do both together which I think is a reasonable approach given that they could earn more revenue doing the jobs separately

The dealer recommended that the water pump be replaced as it was showing signs of wear, but the lease company that owned the vehicle declined as the lease was coming to an end :devil: I believe that this is probably where my leak is coming from, so it looks like a water pump and another cam belt.

I understand that if the water pump has to be changed then so too should the cam belt, but the toothed belt-tensioning pulley was replaced only 5k miles ago. Presumably it's just the belt that should be done? (c£30 on eBay for a belt as against c£135 for a 'kit')

I had to top up coolant recently on my car too, only about 200 ml and no sign of it dropping over the last few days, but that's still 200 ml more than I ever had to put in the Octavia I had since 2009. I've only had the Superb since February though. Since I can't see any drips under the car when it's parked, where is the coolant likely to go or does the undertray catch it and allow it to evaporate before it hits the ground? I can't see any sign of leaking, but then there's not a lot you can see without pulling bits off the engine anyway.

My big worry is if the coolant is getting to the oil, but the oil cap is goo free and the oil smells as normal. The car still reckons it's got 15,000 km or 500+ days till its next service. It's got over 145 000 km on it with the timing belt interval at 210,000. Is getting the belt and water pump done when it goes in for the next service just in case a good plan? I was quoted €370 by the garage I bought the car from for this work, which is a little over half what I paid to get this done on the 1.9 PD engine I had before.

I plan to hang on to this car until driverless all electric cars are available as nothing short of this is a worthwhile upgrade in performance, features and comfort for the money, so I'm willing to put money in to keep it long term.

Edited by psycholist