Crackling noise from passenger footwell - ?AC problem

At speeds of 65mph and greater I am getting a crackling noise from the passenger footwell - sounds almost electrical in nature and I thought it was coming from the soundsystem.

However I have a feeling it may be related to AC system. Has anyone else had this problem or similar and is there a solution? It can't be heard at speeds of less than 60 - 65mph. Adjusting the climate control doesn't make a difference. Radio on or off doesn't make a difference.

Thanks for advice.

As you sure its coming from inside the car?

Could be a heat shield at the back of the engine which is rattling behind the footwell when the air rushing past it is fast enough?

It does sound like the issue that Dodgy posted about before. The sound does seem to come from left speaker area. I initially ruled that out as the noise is independent of radio on or off and only at speed. Oddly - I was freezing on drive home yesterday and cranked climate control up to 25/26C - had never done this before even in winter, and today crackling only very minimal, even at speeds up to 75mph.

Its a 2013 Skoda Octavia 1.6tdi. I have first service next week and will print these posts out and Dodgy's previous post and bring info along to garage and see what they say. Any further info gratefully accepted.

• 2 years later...

Did you ever get to the bottom of this. Had similar problem recently.

Issues had crackling and smoke coming through my vents. Fan resistors blew in process and it did it again after repair. All at 70mph in hot conditons. Currently still being investiagted as I've told them I will not drive it until they've sorted it, don't need a fire.

It was definatley something to do with the A/C, Fan system I reckon but they can't figure it out. Had a hire car for a while now.

Kieran.