Rovelo Tyres

fred1982

The Guarantee may be for manufacturing faults and/or punctures. I'm sure kwik fit do or used to do it on their budget tyres. However they will replace for the same tyre.

Either that or they're like the Michelins of old - That hard they never wear out!

Edited by StevesTruck

I've not long had a Superb Estate S (140bhp diesel) 63 reg that came with Dunlop's on the back & Rovelos on the front. To be honest I'm not the greatest lover of Dunlop's, despite my late father having worked for them all his life at the now long gone Walton factory on Merseyside, as a set I had on my previous Octavia Estate didn't seem to last that long & all four were changed to Nexen's a few months before changing cars. Anyway on to the Rovelos. "Not impressed" could be the description.

O.K. I find that the suspension on the Superb is softer than the Octavia, as does my wife who likes the smoother, more limo-like, ride compared with the Octavia, but something is not inspiring confidence on damp, twisty roads here in S.W. France & due to the feeling of distinct understeer when pressing on, as much as one can in such a large & heavy vehicle, I'm pretty confident that it's the Rovelo RHP778s on the front axle. Yes I know that the Superb is a bigger & much heavier car than the Octavia & perhaps I should not expect as taut a driving experience from what is essentially a lengthened Passat for the Chinese market but if the tyres didn't have so much tread left on them, they look almost new, I ditch them before they ditch me! I was more than happy with the grip, noise level & fuel economy of the Nexens for the short time I had them with the Octavia, at a friend in the motor trade's recommendation, but these Rovelos? Sorry but no! In a couple of years when the rubber is due for renewal I may check out Michelin's new all season tyre, the "Crossclimate" - assuming that there's a good deal on at the likes of A.T.S. or a local independant tyre fitter. Failing that it'll be another set of Nexens, but definitely not Rovelos - based upon current experience.

1st post and its a rant about rubbish tyres, I think we might just get on :)

welcome to the forum

I've not long had a Superb Estate S (140bhp diesel) 63 reg that came with Dunlop's on the back & Rovelos on the front. To be honest I'm not the greatest lover of Dunlop's, despite my late father having worked for them all his life at the now long gone Walton factory on Merseyside, as a set I had on my previous Octavia Estate didn't seem to last that long & all four were changed to Nexen's a few months before changing cars. Anyway on to the Rovelos. "Not impressed" could be the description.

O.K. I find that the suspension on the Superb is softer than the Octavia, as does my wife who likes the smoother, more limo-like, ride compared with the Octavia, but something is not inspiring confidence on damp, twisty roads here in S.W. France & due to the feeling of distinct understeer when pressing on, as much as one can in such a large & heavy vehicle, I'm pretty confident that it's the Rovelo RHP778s on the front axle. Yes I know that the Superb is a bigger & much heavier car than the Octavia & perhaps I should not expect as taut a driving experience from what is essentially a lengthened Passat for the Chinese market but if the tyres didn't have so much tread left on them, they look almost new, I ditch them before they ditch me! I was more than happy with the grip, noise level & fuel economy of the Nexens for the short time I had them with the Octavia, at a friend in the motor trade's recommendation, but these Rovelos? Sorry but no! In a couple of years when the rubber is due for renewal I may check out Michelin's new all season tyre, the "Crossclimate" - assuming that there's a good deal on at the likes of A.T.S. or a local independant tyre fitter. Failing that it'll be another set of Nexens, but definitely not Rovelos - based upon current experience.

I would ditch those Rovelo tyres asap if I was you. They are scary in wet conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

Re Rovelos (see "19510" comment above). Coming back to Dunkirk on a damp morning in France on Saturday the car understeered so severely at a roundabout in Blois that it ever so nearly went straight on! These wretched & dangerous tyres (why are they allowed to be sold?) are now scheduled for a trip to ATS or another tyre fitter for replacement A.S.A.P. I've not long checked the ATS website & the new Michelin Cross-Climate tyres are a far better price than I thought they'd be so...

• 4 months later...

I've a pair of Rovelo 225/45/17 on the front of My Octavia and so far I've noticed any major issues with them except maybe a bit noisy... they put down the power pulling away from a junction or a roundabout in the wet in the we with no wheelspin at all....

I have had cheap ditch finders in the past on a Xantia (Wanlis) where the front went everywhere except where it was pointed and a C5 (Triangle) where the back broke away 3 times in a few days on a mildly damp road going round a roundabout, the last time I spun through more than 360 degrees as I ended facing back where I'd come from and the Rovelos are miles better than either.

Nice to hear that you have had a good experience with the Rovelo's labman1001. I currently have one of them on my rear wheels at the moment (possibly both). I just wouldn't trust them on my front wheels as they did not grip sufficiently for my liking. Possibly you are finding they are fine as your engine is heavier than mine I imagine. I have the 1.6 petrol.

Hi Fred,

I rarely push my car as I leave in plenty of time for work and just take my time usually sitting at between 55 and 60 mph on the motorway, I've probably as much of it with either a 50 or 60 mph limit as there is 70 mph .... I'm not sure what the Rovelo would be like on the back but as I said they're miles better than the Wanlis I'd on the front of a Xantia 1.9TD, they where lethal at literally any speed with the grip of an ice cube rubbing on ice ... the Triangle brand fitted to the rear of the C5 2 litre HDI where fine in the dry and I mean dry but show a little bit of dampness and they'd break away on anything other than a straight line ... how they can legally be sold defies all logic to me.

I'd to purchase the Rovelo as I'd a puncture and my tyre was ruined internally and the tyre place , Farmers Autocare, didn't stock the Barums I normally buy and which the car had a full set of 4 fitted .. the fronts where sitting at 3mm so looking at getting changed soon anyway ... whilst I'm not knocking the Rovelo I think when ever they're due a change I'll be going back to Barums as I've used them on the front and back of both my Xantia and C5 and never had a complaint with them .... I did fit fancy Dunlop energy efficient tyres once to the front of the C5 and noticed a marked improvement in MPG but they lasted no time at all so the savings where wiped out replacing the tyres ... I'd also 2 punctures in both of them which was the first I'd had in years of driving.

Peter

• 1 month later...

I have f105 on my car atm, soon to come off. There ok in the dry, when driven normally. Pushed they give up quite quickly. In the wet there down right dangerous. Wheel spin at 70 when over taking, aquaplaning at low speeds and no confidence when having to brake hard in an emergency.

• Like 1

Hi Fred,

I rarely push my car as I leave in plenty of time for work and just take my time usually sitting at between 55 and 60 mph on the motorway, I've probably as much of it with either a 50 or 60 mph limit as there is 70 mph .... I'm not sure what the Rovelo would be like on the back but as I said they're miles better than the Wanlis I'd on the front of a Xantia 1.9TD, they where lethal at literally any speed with the grip of an ice cube rubbing on ice ... the Triangle brand fitted to the rear of the C5 2 litre HDI where fine in the dry and I mean dry but show a little bit of dampness and they'd break away on anything other than a straight line ... how they can legally be sold defies all logic to me.

I'd to purchase the Rovelo as I'd a puncture and my tyre was ruined internally and the tyre place , Farmers Autocare, didn't stock the Barums I normally buy and which the car had a full set of 4 fitted .. the fronts where sitting at 3mm so looking at getting changed soon anyway ... whilst I'm not knocking the Rovelo I think when ever they're due a change I'll be going back to Barums as I've used them on the front and back of both my Xantia and C5 and never had a complaint with them .... I did fit fancy Dunlop energy efficient tyres once to the front of the C5 and noticed a marked improvement in MPG but they lasted no time at all so the savings where wiped out replacing the tyres ... I'd also 2 punctures in both of them which was the first I'd had in years of driving.

Peter

Hi Peter

I have the Rovelo's on the back of my Octavia and on the whole they have been ok. However I will be ditching them as soon as the tread reaches 3-4mm. I did notice you saying Farmer Autocare didn't have stock of your preferred brand-same thing happened to me when I wanted Bridgestone's. I am starting to think they deliberately keep a low stock of the better brands to help promote their cheap and nasty range!

I have f105 on my car atm, soon to come off. There ok in the dry, when driven normally. Pushed they give up quite quickly. In the wet there down right dangerous. Wheel spin at 70 when over taking, aquaplaning at low speeds and no confidence when having to brake hard in an emergency.

I agree with you 100% there-they are truly awful on the front in the wet. You lose all feel through the steering wheel and it's pretty scary.