Tamron 150-600mm lens

Has anyone had any experience of this lens, especially if they have used one on a crop sensor body. I'm worried that as I like to hand hold my lens, it might be too long for my 7D to use reliably 

Edited by Lady Elanore

The usual advise for hand holding a lens is to use a speed at least as fast as the focal length in use.  For example, if lens set at 500mm then slowest speed to use is 1/500 sec.

If the lens has some form of stability control then the speed can be lower by 2 to 4 stops (will be stated in lens instructions).

I apologise if the above sounds patronising as I don't know your level of expertise as a camera user. 

The longest lens I have used on my 400D is a 300mm at air shows and I have managed to get sharp photos at 1/200 by leaning against something for support.

Not sure what you mean by 'my 7D to use reliably'?

Don't worry. I'm familiar with the reciprocal rule. I use a 200mm with a 1.4TC on a 1.6 crop sensor so I have hand held with about 450MM equivalent. That's not a problem for what I normal shoot, as I use the panning IS setting, but unfortunately the Tamron doesn't have this facility. So not only am I doubling the length, but I'm losing one axis of stabilisation.

Thanks Anyhoo :)

I run the Sigma 150-500 and love it - have used it all day handheld at airshows, although it is a bit of a beast

As with anything that long you have to be prepared for a degree of compromise, but I find that the benefits of the extra length outweigh all of them

I used it for the track time at the national meet this year - will put some pictures up later

I run the Sigma 150-500 and love it - have used it all day handheld at airshows, although it is a bit of a beast

As with anything that long you have to be prepared for a degree of compromise, but I find that the benefits of the extra length outweigh all of them

I used it for the track time at the national meet this year - will put some pictures up later

You have a 1.5 crop don't you? I guess my previous go with a long lens put me off a bit because of the wobble. If I want to shoot the Kite Boarders, it obviously means it needs to be a very windy day and so a long lens is a bugger to control. Most of the pictures taken with the Tamron that I have seen, are from Birders and many of them use tripods or are shooting where there is plenty of light. I think I will probably take the plunge, but it's good to know others are managing hand held with a crop body :)

Can you not borrow or rent one?  Having said that I've never been particularly impressed with the build of Tamron lenses.  The last lens I bought I took my 7D along and did back to back tests.

Can you not borrow or rent one? Having said that I've never been particularly impressed with the build of Tamron lenses. The last lens I bought I took my 7D along and did back to back tests.

That would be an ideal way to go.....try before you buy

Not got the Tamron lens mentioned but I do use a Sigma 50-500 and it is a beast of a lens.

Bit heavy on the arms (might be worth a monopod with a ball head). Quality wise it is pretty close to Canon although not L quality

It does have the two IS modes so not too bad to handhold and get a decent shot

Edited by kilted

Not got the Tamron lens mentioned but I do use a Sigma 50-500 and it is a beast of a lens.

Bit heavy on the arms (might be worth a monopod with a ball head). Quality wise it is pretty close to Canon although not L quality

It does have the two IS modes so not too bad to handhold and get a decent shot

The Tamron is reckoned to outperform the current Canon 100-400mm although it has a slightly different focal length. We don't know if there will be a new 100-400mm announced in a weeks time or not, but I suspect it will be twice the price of the Tamron. I'm going to give a try in he shop and see if my spindly little arms snap. Mind you I can shoot for a couple of hours hand held with the current 70-200mm f2.8 II Canon L lens and that's with a 1.4TC on it, so the weight of the Tamzooka should be around 10oz heavy by my reckoning.

Can you not borrow or rent one?  Having said that I've never been particularly impressed with the build of Tamron lenses.  The last lens I bought I took my 7D along and did back to back tests.

Might be a bit tricky to borrow one and take it to a beach in a gale force wind :D They might notice the crunching noise when they get it back.

I too have always thought Sigma to be better built than Tamron, but the reports of this lens being a solid bit of kit are good. I should ruddy well hope so, as even though it's a lot cheaper than the canon equivalent (although the 100-400mm is coming down due to possible replacement on horizon) it's still the thick end of £1K and probably over that if I can find a filter to fit it (doesn't the Siggy 50-500mm use a 95mm filter?)

It does (or rather would if I could justify spending the £££ on one!)

I think I'd be too frightened to not cover the front, it's a big bit of glass. Jessops do a reasonable UV for this lens, Calumet want about £150 for one!

I think I'd be too frightened to not cover the front, it's a big bit of glass. Jessops do a reasonable UV for this lens, Calumet want about £150 for one!

Depends what and where you are shooting. For me, shooting in good conditions, there is no reason to cover the lens with anything other than the hood (the lenses are pretty hardy things in themselves and can actually be damaged worse by a filter breaking that the impact without).

Shooting kiteboards I would reckon you need one though if one to protect against sand.

Mind you I can shoot for a couple of hours hand held with the current 70-200mm f2.8 II Canon L lens and that's with a 1.4TC on it, so the weight of the Tamzooka should be around 10oz heavy by my reckoning.

I've done a 9 hour stretch, hand held, with the 70-200 f2.8 IS (mk1). Not the most pleasant experience, but I find when the results are good you stop caring about the discomfort of shooting.

Then again, in a few years when I probably need some rotator cuff surgery it may not hold so true.

Have you considered a monopod if your situation allows? I wasn't keen on it to start, but you can get some ridiculously light and portable ones that offer a nice hint of stabilisation with only a small amount of annoyance. Not great for all situations but if you're not constantly mobile they do help a lot without the trouble of 3 legs.

Depends what and where you are shooting. For me, shooting in good conditions, there is no reason to cover the lens with anything other than the hood (the lenses are pretty hardy things in themselves and can actually be damaged worse by a filter breaking that the impact without).

Shooting kiteboards I would reckon you need one though if one to protect against sand.

I tend to shoot when it's windy (not the best for a long lens when it's hand held) or wet (I live in Manchester) so weatherproofing is important. The 7D and 70-200mmL that I normally use are fantastic in bad weather, I'm not so sure the Tamron will be quite as sealed, but I am pretty expert with plastic bag covers now :D

I've done a 9 hour stretch, hand held, with the 70-200 f2.8 IS (mk1). Not the most pleasant experience, but I find when the results are good you stop caring about the discomfort of shooting.

Then again, in a few years when I probably need some rotator cuff surgery it may not hold so true.

Have you considered a monopod if your situation allows? I wasn't keen on it to start, but you can get some ridiculously light and portable ones that offer a nice hint of stabilisation with only a small amount of annoyance. Not great for all situations but if you're not constantly mobile they do help a lot without the trouble of 3 legs.

I've done 3 hours with the 70-200mm II F2,8 and 1.4TC. The following day I felt like my arm had been punched repeatedly by a big angry man :(

I have a monopod and although it probably wont be much use with the Kite boarders as they fly in all 3 dimensions, it might not be so bad with Jetskis as they move in a more 2D manner. I tried using it a while ago and just didn't find any benefit, things may be different now. The zoom takes a bit of cranking and I've read that people hook a finger around the tripod mount and pull the lens to achieve a quick focal length! Oh did I mention I've bought it :) I now have a 'nearly 1,000mm' lens on my crop camera. Brilliant :D

I tend to shoot when it's windy (not the best for a long lens when it's hand held) or wet (I live in Manchester) so weatherproofing is important. The 7D and 70-200mmL that I normally use are fantastic in bad weather, I'm not so sure the Tamron will be quite as sealed, but I am pretty expert with plastic bag covers now :D

I've done 3 hours with the 70-200mm II F2,8 and 1.4TC. The following day I felt like my arm had been punched repeatedly by a big angry man :(

I have a monopod and although it probably wont be much use with the Kite boarders as they fly in all 3 dimensions, it might not be so bad with Jetskis as they move in a more 2D manner. I tried using it a while ago and just didn't find any benefit, things may be different now. The zoom takes a bit of cranking and I've read that people hook a finger around the tripod mount and pull the lens to achieve a quick focal length! Oh did I mention I've bought it :) I now have a 'nearly 1,000mm' lens on my crop camera. Brilliant :D

I actually came up with a cover from an old cagoule sleeve. :rain: Drawstring at each end and it works perfectly. Cost me all of £1.00 for the two toggles on the drawstrings and about 10 mins sewing. :thumbup:

I do actually use the pull/push method of zooming with the 50-500 - not designed for it but it works :clap:

I actually came up with a cover from an old cagoule sleeve. :rain: Drawstring at each end and it works perfectly. Cost me all of £1.00 for the two toggles on the drawstrings and about 10 mins sewing. :thumbup:

I do actually use the pull/push method of zooming with the 50-500 - not designed for it but it works :clap:

Oooh that's a good idea, on both counts :)