Customised puddle lights.

vigyaz

So a few months ago i decided i fancied some puddle lights on my car, wasnt too sure on the ones you can get that fit in right against the car's body so i found some black bezeled LED's online and fitted them further outwards of the car wing mirror.

Ill follow this up with some better pictures when i can find a decent camera, been using my phone and it doesnt like night-shots! :(

For now, this is what it looks like at night, again sorry for poor quality of photo it really doesnt do the finished result justice, but you get the idea :).

"removed the picture for now, looks crap"

will post another later :)

Ok got a couple daylight pictures of how it looks obviously not switched on, quite stealth really :ph34r: so was quite happy with the way it all fitted in, more pictures to come when i get some night shots :)

DSC 0312

DSC 0311

They took me about 5-6 hours over the space of 2 days, weather being a pain in the a** so had to keep ducking and diving to avoid getting wet :p .

I took the supply off of the interior light. ran the cabling behind the door panel / dash so all hidden, and up behind the drivers side A pillar and finally spliced into the existing wiring for the interior light with some scotch-locs.

They even dim away + turn off the nicely :)

Ps. 1 thing to note with fitting LED's is that because of their low curent draw, i found this out when i changed my interior lamps for LED ones, they dont appear to completely turn off, so to remedy the situation i left the festoon lamp in the interior light and only replaced the other 2 either side of it. If you really wanted to solve this issue without having to leave a conventional filament lamp in the festoon fitting then you can simply fit a resistor into the circuit and this should dissipate any residual energy as heat. :)

• Like 1

They took me about 5-6 hours over the space of 2 days, weather being a pain in the a** so had to keep ducking and diving to avoid getting wet :p .

I took the supply off of the interior light. ran the cabling behind the door panel / dash so all hidden, and up behind the drivers side A pillar and finally spliced into the existing wiring for the interior light with some scotch-locs.

They even dim away + turn off the nicely :)

Ps. 1 thing to note with fitting LED's is that because of their low curent draw, i found this out when i changed my interior lamps for LED ones, they dont appear to completely turn off, so to remedy the situation i left the festoon lamp in the interior light and only replaced the other 2 either side of it. If you really wanted to solve this issue without having to leave a conventional filament lamp in the festoon fitting then you can simply fit a resistor into the circuit and this should dissipate any residual energy as heat. :)

Top stuff. Might do this when my warranty expires. Would be good :).

Iv already got full LED interior lights. They dim out too, as im using canbus friendly LED's. These already have a resistor built in, so work nicely without playing with the wiring.

• Like 1

Canbus eh, some of us are a bit too retro for that :P

But aye thats basically all they have extra is an inbuilt resistor of a designated value as not to throw up a fault :)

Good work - I know from experience that it is a time consuming job. Don't like the fact they stick out though.

Check here for other options: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/223753-32kofdata-fabia-sport-mkii/?p=3124214

Aye the wiring as always takes the longest. in regard to them sitting proud it catches me out sometimes, looks like ive got a droplet of water on the bottom of the mirror, might change for a flushmount when i get time as have already considered this :) , thanks for the link :)

• Like 1

So here it is, finally after much messing around with my camera settings on my phone i managed to get a reasonable shot of the lights in action, still not brilliant but much better than my first post lol.

DSC_0316.jpg

• Like 1

That looks good! (So did the women on all the pop ups i got when i clicked on it, for some reason).

Do you find the brightness is satisfactory? Or do you wish for abit more?

Hahaha popups! thats because for some reason i couldnt upload the picture to my gallery earlier so i took the scenic route of using a fileshare website, think of the popup women as a bonus! its suggestive of the attention you will get from women for having these puddle lights on your car haha :D .

The brightness is fine in all honesty, just the right amount of light so you can see the floor without being too much that it overpowers the streetlights nearby lol. i could be tempted in the future if i saw the right LED's to change them as mentioned earlier in the post by 32k it would be nice to fit some that were a little more 'flush'.

but at £6 per LED from RS components i cant complain lol!

ps. my drive floodlight is on in the background so stealing some of the thunder from the light given off by the LED :P

Hahaha popups! thats because for some reason i couldnt upload the picture to my gallery earlier so i took the scenic route of using a fileshare website, think of the popup women as a bonus! its suggestive of the attention you will get from women for having these puddle lights on your car haha :D .

The brightness is fine in all honesty, just the right amount of light so you can see the floor without being too much that it overpowers the streetlights nearby lol. i could be tempted in the future if i saw the right LED's to change them as mentioned earlier in the post by 32k it would be nice to fit some that were a little more 'flush'.

but at £6 per LED from RS components i cant complain lol!

ps. my drive floodlight is on in the background so stealing some of the thunder from the light given off by the LED :P

The nice ladies were a bonus! Im just glad im on my iphone and not PC haha. A little less likely to get pop ups forever!

I guess itll be easy to change the bulbs after, its the wiring thats more tricky eh.

Spot on. Cheers for the info. Enjoy em :).

The nice ladies were a bonus! Im just glad im on my iphone and not PC haha. A little less likely to get pop ups forever!

I guess itll be easy to change the bulbs after, its the wiring thats more tricky eh.

Spot on. Cheers for the info. Enjoy em :).

Ohh I got none on Ipad Tapatalk

Spot on. Cheers for the info. Enjoy em :)

Aye once the wiring is in place, everything else is a doddle! :nerd:

nps dude and cheers!

• Like 1

Aha got it to work now thanks :)

Hows the 1.8T thread coming, or are you still procrastinating? :P

I might make a thread soon for doing my whole black/red theme and the addition of splitters / coilovers / foglights retrofit and numerous other things, though ill wait for piggybank to fill up a bit first. ... Might even get that remap done!

• Like 1

Hows the 1.8T thread coming, or are you still procrastinating? :P

I might make a thread soon for doing my whole black/red theme and the addition of splitters / coilovers / foglights retrofit and numerous other things, though ill wait for piggybank to fill up a bit first. ... Might even get that remap done!

Sod all is happening!

I'm in Scotland it might end up redundant if I get a bike but I'll see how it goes