Considering Yeti

mylesm

Hi all

I am considering purchasing a 2011 1,2 TSI DSG yeti in Elegance Spec it has 45000Km (28000Ml approx)

One owner with full Skoda service history I test drove it and liked it but would appreciate if some of you experts on here could give me some tips on anything to watch out for

Thanks 

mylesm 

Hi all

I am considering purchasing a 2011 1,2 TSI DSG yeti in Elegance Spec it has 45000Km (28000Ml approx)

One owner with full Skoda service history I test drove it and liked it but would appreciate if some of you experts on here could give me some tips on anything to watch out for

Thanks 

mylesm 

Your location might help you get useful advice.

Fred

Thanks Located in Dublin Ireland 

Thanks for that. The reason I asked is that many models are specific to the market they are supplied to. I don't own a similar car but there have been many posts on here about the 1.2tsi. I'm sure an owner will be along to assist you but one post that I keep seeing is about having to replace the HT leads.

Fred

Iv heard a lot of folk saying the 1.2 tsi engine is brilliant engine. Don't let the size of it put you off. It has a little supercharger in it which gives it a nice boost when required.

The 1.2 Tsi is indeed a brilliant engine and punches well above its weight, put it has a turbocharger, not supercharger.

• Like 1

Items to consider :

Some early Yeti's prown to Timing chain issues (major damage if jumps off) Dealer told me Technical Bulletin issued.

DSG can present a few abnormal noises on take off from slow speed and other situations.

DSG oil change from synthetic to mineral (very recent)...again a quiet recall. (bloiwing gearbox fuses..worldwide issue)..

Both concerning so maybe consider after market warranty as Dealers/Skoda generally unhelpful unless it can be

replicated and under warranty. Outside of warranty who knows what their attitude would be.

Do some on line research. Googling it may scare you more than is really the case in real life as lots of people

out there with no issues (we arn't one of them).

Turbo had a shim/software update due to problems.

DSG box had an oil change from synthetic to mineral due to blowing fuses in the gearbox control. Not sure if this

a long term fix as only just aware and again done on the quiet maybe No recall I am aware of.

Check rear doors have clear foils fitted (stone damage from road).

Paint blisters under paint caused by zinc inclusions..some persons may suggest it is just stone chip issue but

research on here if you want more info.

HT lead No1 and No3 limp mode.(heat and corrosion), later improved insulation fitted.

We are not prepared to take the risk(s) and will be changing cars in near future.

Other than that great little car with hard to replicate features.

Look no further for Yeti info as you won't find anything remotely as good as this forum.

Edited by kibby

Well I have to say when I drove it I was surprised at the pep in it it felt more than a 1.2 

I was also wondering about the DSG is it reliable or any known issues I checked service record and gearbox oil and filter were changed at last service

thanks

mylesm

Hi all

Thanks 

mylesm

Please make sure you check with the Yeti Police before buying, you may not fit the profile they require.

The 1.2 TSI is good and can be surprisingly spritely, but felt a little underpowered in the Yeti I test drove, more suited to the Fabia imo. I want a 170 4x4 version but sadly I have a long way to go before I can apply for the exclusive membership that is Yeti ownership.....

• Like 1

If you put 1.2 into the search engine you will find loads of info.

I've only had mine since last October but am very happy with the 1.2 engine. I came from 140+bhp diesels because I took early retirement (55) and don't do the mileage. I very rarely miss the extra torque and power of those cars.

The DSG is a personal choice. I am learning to live with it but wish I'd got a manual. Nothing at all wrong with the DSG mechanically it just doesn't suit the way I want to drive as it always strives for economy/low emissions and thus the highest gear at the lowest speed possible unless you put it into S which is only slightly better or Tiptronic which is effectively manual.

Please make sure you check with the Yeti Police before buying, you may not fit the profile they require.

The 1.2 TSI is good and can be surprisingly spritely, but felt a little underpowered in the Yeti I test drove, more suited to the Fabia imo. I want a 170 4x4 version but sadly I have a long way to go before I can apply for the exclusive membership that is Yeti ownership.....

Just pushed it a bit further away now too, it seems.

Did you read what you typed before you clicked POST? Pathetic.

• Like 3

Just pushed it a bit further away now too, it seems.

Did you read what you typed before you clicked POST? Pathetic.

Yep. Typed it, read it, happy with it, posted it.

Unlike others, I did not post a personal attack at anyone.... Now that would be pathetic.

I stand by my opinion that the 1.2 is better suited to the Fabia than the Yeti. Driven them both so the opinion is based on experience.

Libby covers it I think.

As an ex 1.2 dsg yeti owner on 11 plate please research and consider the 7 speed dsg gearbox 09 to 11 reliability.Also, known timing chain issues.

Ideally find a 1.2dsg post 2011 if you can run to it.

I found the 1.2 tsi to be a great engine delivering it's power well across the rev range. But due to the above issues (which were sorted by my excellent local Skoda dealer) I just lost confidence in my particular car. Still drive a yeti, and find this the ideal car for me. Hope this helps.

Agree about loosing confidence with potential for large bills.

I think they have done a number of mods to both engine & DSG over the period.

Skoda in denial maybe and dealing on a case by case basis.Helps if you have

1)  car in warranty and

2)  have a fully stamped Skoda Dealer service record.

If you can't reproduce it at the Dealers (generally random in nature at least to start with) then you will

have a big problem. as Dealer will get no support from Skoda to spend money trying to diagnose it

and you will likely have to foot  the bill outside of warranty or rely on Skoda making a part 0 - x% contribution.

No chance if 2) not met.

This appears to be the response to any random or not easily reproduceable problem. Computer say no so you

can't have a problem !!

Applies to other car manufacturers, not just Skoda.

Edited by kibby

The OP won't have been over well inspired if he bases his reckoning solely on this one topic.

And as the topic progressed there was a degree of fishing for a response from someone who doesn't seem to own a 1.2 DSG Yeti.

Putting that to one side (which is where it needs to be) I would say, based on three and a half years ownership, that it IS a sound choice. If I didn't think it was I'd say so....I have a Hyundai and would be equally happy to point out it's failings and shortcomings if asked. In fact I do that very thing in another place.

As has been pointed out it's a distinctly peppy little engine...compared to my i10 of the same engine size but which is in a much smaller body - it's bordering on the remarkable.

But, for sure, in a Fabia it would be even more sprightly.

My view is that by matching it with the DSG any tendency for the engine to have to seek lower gears, which a bigger engine wouldn't necessarily require, is compensated for by the DSG box which is perfectly happy to, immediately and imperceptibly drop down a gear or two without you even noticing...and it'll equally happily slot back into the higher gear as and when it feels it to be appropriate.  In moderate, sensible day to day driving it wouldn't leave you wanting unless, perhaps, it was heavily loaded and taken for drives up long and demanding gradients - I would say that you would then feel it was becoming breathless and you'd seek a bigger engined verson if that carried on for long periods.  On motorways I have found it to be doing well below 3000rpm at a true GPS 70 mph and is eminently capable of sitting at higher speeds if it needed to (on Germany's faster roads of course)

My mpg isn't spectacular..if careful on a run it's towards 40mpg but can drop a bit given short runs (quite a few of mine are so my readout is usually 36mpg). If I weighed 9 stone and drove alone and had no bits and pieces and spare wheel etc weighing the car down I'm sure that would help.  As it is I'm a pretty big bloke and don't drive alone very often.

If the actual example is in good order and is a genuine straight motor then I would say go for it but as and when the three year warranty expires I would contiue to cover it - see the long and comprehensive threads about extended warranties on here (the Yeti forum may not be perfect but there is some extraordinarily in depth coverage of just about everything you could want to know contributed by enthusiastic and knowledgable....and mature....bods).  Check out the warranty which is available for £149 a year and detailed in one or two of the the topics mentioned.  This will give you confidence in case something untoward did happen with a major component and is money well spent in my opinion..

In truth, if you search you will find scores of reports on 1.2 ownership....after a few years on here I've seen pretty well all of them....and I think I'd be right in saying they were almost always respectful of the capabilities of the 1.2...which is what we're discussing here.

Do some more research on the site...time well spent.  Don't place too much emphasis on the ups and downs which occur on the site from time to time - the core of Yeti owners here are very well, factually, informed and will readily offer helpful advice to genuine enquirers at the drop of of a hat.

Good luck and good wishes.

Edited spelling mistakes.

Edited by oldstan
  • Like 4

When I looked at the £149 warranty didn't you have to be a member of the Civil Service or did I get that wrong?

Agree you will get an in-depth balanced view on here again ignoring the occasional outbursts.

When I looked at the £149 warranty didn't you have to be a member of the Civil Service or did I get that wrong?

Agree you will get an in-depth balanced view on here again ignoring the occasional outbursts.

Yes, kibby, you're right. Fair point.

But I think LG will agree that the list of qualifying occupations is extensive.  AND, as I will have said before, (I repeat myself an awful lot - I repeat myself an awful lot)...my view is that the CSMA are in business to keep and acquire members and if you look you'll see that you can be virtually assured of qualifying by virtue of your job, your previous job (going back as many years as you want) or your relationship with someone who qualifies, or qualified thirty years ago. ie. your mother in law's next door neighbour's cousin who worked for one of the qualifiers. What I'm trying to say is at some point in your life you can..... I'M SURE!!!!.... ;) ;) ... remember that, in the deep and distant past, you DID, actually qualify.  They aren't going to do a CID / CRB investigation to see that you qualify...they want you as much as you want them.  If you see what I mean.

And I've said this before...but I'll ....   OK, you get the drift.... by being a member you and your partner/wife/whatever both get free Legal Protection on both your car insurance policies.  That'll save you a minimum of £25 each. I've just renewed my motor policies and saved two lots of Legal Protection - that's about £50 - £55 - and the CSMA membership is just over half that amount.

I'm sure either myself or LG will be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks but too late to save my Yeti it's soon going. Will report back on SV experience if others will allow me as you

requested not long ago. Test drive mega impressed (smooth refined classy great boot and £75 16" tyres) and

with the extra warranty will be more at ease.

Lot of the tech builds on Yeti and boy is there a lot of it on the SE (NOT TO GO WRONG, HOPEFULLY).

Boy will I miss this forum, VW one's are very poor in comparison with 1 or 2 replies if you are LUCKY.

Edited by kibby

Thanks but too late to save my Yeti it's soon going. Will report back on SV experience if others will allow me as you

requested not long ago. Test drive mega impressed (smooth refined classy great boot and £75 16" tyres) and

with the extra warranty will be more at ease.

Lot of the tech builds on Yeti and boy is there a lot of it on the SE (NOT TO GO WRONG, HOPEFULLY).

Indeed, I'd forgotten that you were going for the SV  (another topic of slightly excitable debate as I recall)    :-)

I'm sure I would have asked you to report back with your findings in due course and would be pleased if you did.

I sort of see that they compare the SV with the new BMW 2 series Active Touring and ithat the VW finds favour over the BMW in most of the reports I've read.

Look forward to seeing one in the flesh, as it were.

Have no immediate need or intention to change the Yeti as we speak but always looking round to see what might fit the bill another time.

Good luck with your new motor.

I'm sure either myself or LG will be able to point you in the right direction.

I certainly can.

Stan, do want a job at Brighton?

Did you see my mug in the AGM bumph?

Kibby,

I have been surprised how quiet some of the VW forums are, but I suspect that is because there are more separate model specific ones, like all the Gti ones.