Clutches!

Olly87

My vrs clutch is beginning to slip and I'm curious peoples opinions for cars running over 200bhp and over 300lbfts torque. I've got prices for Sachs race clutch and helix both to fit my valeo solid flywheel that's already fitted. Any help in this minefield of choice would be great thanks 

Olly

I've got a Sachs, drove danham's with a Helix and it is a lot heavier pedal than my Sachs.

Changing the subject,

Is your valeo flywheel standard weight?

If so do you get the horrible gearbox rattle associated with lighter than standard smf's?

cheers :)

Thanks for the info mate, I dont mind clutch pedal heaviness as long as it has a decent bite on it.

I'm not 100% on the flywheel weight wise as it was bought in a kit. It's silent though, I have no chatter or unpleasant characteristics I thought I may have got. Apart from clutch slip after 10 months. But I'm running over power so my own fault! Lol 

Olly

It's a valeo smf 4p kit. I work for SEAT and work on vag cars and promise I was very suprised with no chatter also. As it doesn't look any where near robust enough but I haven't had any chatter issues. It now slips badly but that's because I'm over the recommend power tbh. Hoping helix/Sachs will be just as quiet. 

Olly 

The clutch won't alter the chatter, its the weight of the smf which causes the chatter.

That's why I wondered if a Valeo smf was standard weight, as the chatter from Helix and Sachs supplied flywheels is awful :(

Hopefully with one of there clutches and the valeo smf will good for power but quiet enough not to get annoyed with any noises.

What's your clutch rated too? 

As Sachs seem to rate power capabilities higher than the helix ones I've been quoted on. 

Olly 

Its looking like I will need to go for helix as jabba say can't mate the Sachs organic clutch up to the valeo smf. Shame as I quite fancied using the Sachs but don't want the extra cost of the flywheel etc.

Waiting to speak to helix as need some specs before building clutch.

Olly 

Cg stuff is nicely made just the kit they sent me didn't fit my car. Mick (sales rep) was very polite in dealing with me and is going to give me a full refund. I've settled for a valeo single mass conversion. The rattle I get is on acceleration not at idle but soon disappears once I'm going.

I've decided to go with helix as they have a very good reputation and I want to know I will get a good product for the money etc. Takes a week to make from scratch so need to order asap. 

Olly

Trust me you won't regret going Helix. I have the SMF setup on my car and it's great. People dislike the chatter, but you soon get used to it. It's only loud when on idle and in neutral. You get some funny looks sat in the traffic :)

Edited by redcupraboy
  • Like 1

I'm wondering if mine will be any difference on chatter with having a valeo smf and helix clutch setup. I sit in traffic driving through Birmingham city center everyday from work so will soon probs have foot down on clutch in traffic or radio up higher! Lol 

I'm wondering if mine will be any difference on chatter with having a valeo smf and helix clutch setup. I sit in traffic driving through Birmingham city center everyday from work so will soon probs have foot down on clutch in traffic or radio up higher! Lol 

Shouldn't really, as apparently its flywheel weight which is the cause of the chatter.

But will be very interested to find out please, as when my clutch needs replacing I want less chatter without a doubt!!! :)

Just out of interest, how will holding the clutch down impact on clutch life? If anything maybe the CSC I would have thought :-/

Weakens the springs, as with the pedal depresssed the springs are compressed.

When you compress the clutch to move away/change gear they are only compressed momentarily, you sit in traffic with the clutch pedal depressed for say 5 mins, think how many gear changes that would be :)
  • Like 1

I was tempted by the Sachs kit but won't match upto my valeo flywheel. Any at the price I would rather keep with my flywheel and get the helix. Does look like a very good kit and can with stand alot of power on both the organic and sintered versions.