vRS Estate rattle in the rear...

I've had my fantastic new car for a week now, and I'm mostly over the moon about it! But...

There's a really annoying rattle in the rear. It's only noticeable on rough chip seal roads and seems to be set off by small, frequent vibrations, rather than pot holes etc. It sounds like a plastic or thin metal rattle.

I found a thread about a rear left suspension rattle, but this really sounds like it's inside the car (obviously it may not be). I've had a really good hunt and taken out everything I could find that may be the source, but no luck.

Has anyone else come across this?

P.S. Yes, I know I should just turn the stereo up, but I've heard it now and it cannot be unheard! [emoji86]

• Like 1

If the noise is coming from the boot it's relative easy to check.

You drive the car and your friend listens at the rear seat. He can fold down the seats, etc.

I have just adjusted the lock mechanism it was too loose and the door resonated on every bump. When I checked it from the rear seat I could see the light coming in at the bottom.

I'm really happy now. Earlier every bump made a low freq boom but now it's far better.

If the noise is coming from the boot it's relative easy to check.

You drive the car and your friend listens at the rear seat. He can fold down the seats, etc.

I have just adjusted the lock mechanism it was too loose and the door resonated on every bump. When I checked it from the rear seat I could see the light coming in at the bottom.

I'm really happy now. Earlier every bump made a low freq boom but now it's far better.

I just put me missus in the boot and went for drive when mine was rattling........ :D

Thanks for all your suggestions. Got serious about tracking it down this morning. No issue with the spaces still being in the suspension, so that's a win.  I had checked the spare and tools (factory), but this time I took them out. I also took out the boot liner, boot spare/floor cover, the divider and pull-out cover, and folded down the seats. I also tapped all the plastic parts in the boot in case one was loose. The rattle remains. I'm out of ideas until I can rope someone in to taking me for a drive while I play detective in the back.  Don't think I'll even bother asking my wife, she already thinks I'm insane/ocd for worrying about rattles! I'm convinced she makes drink bottles rattle in her door just to wind me up...

Edit: it was also quite a lot louder with all the stuff out of the boot and the seats down, so it could be something from under the car coming up through the boot floor.

Edited by kitset

I might have the same issue. Sounds like a knocking coming from the rear left wheel area. Noticeable at slow speeds on rough surfaces. It's very annoying and I'm certain its getting worse.

I might have the same issue. Sounds like a knocking coming from the rear left wheel area. Noticeable at slow speeds on rough surfaces. It's very annoying and I'm certain its getting worse.

Yep, pretty annoying all right. I'm also positive if I take it back to the dealers they won't be able to hear it on the smooth roads around Newmarket!

Over and above what others have said - get someone else to drive whilst you investigate - you will be tuned into the sound and know when it's occurring!

If it is under the boot floor then I would check the heat shields around the exhaust, although these will generally resonate at a certain frequency ie. engine speed or a particular section of road with bumps on it that induce the vibration. Also check the backing plates on the brakes or stones caught up on the rear diffuser / bumper.

If inside the car, rear seat belt mechanisms or buckles vibrating against the plastic?

Yep, pretty annoying all right. I'm also positive if I take it back to the dealers they won't be able to hear it on the smooth roads around Newmarket!

That's what I'm worried about so I've been waiting for it to get worse.  Just when I've convinced myself it's gone away and I can relax, it's back again.  I've had a poke around underneath the car and the exhaust heat sheilds don't seem to be loose.  I'm pretty certain it's a noise from under the car.  But this weekend I'll take everything out of the boot that can possibly move and see if that solves it.  If not I'll get the dealer to look at it when I take it back to get my new wing mirror switch which was broken when I collected the car.

Probably the wiring loom knocking against the rear wing.

I had something like this, a clip had come off. I too was paranoid they wouldn't find the issue and it was just me as my wife 'couldn't hear it' and it only happened under certain circumstances. I explained all this to the dealer and they found the issue and fixed it, no problems. Had the car back at the end of the day, no noises any more! 

Edited by Dan25730
  • Like 1

Found it.

It's the plastic lining on the inside of the boot vibrating against the glass. It felt loose and made a hollow plasticy rattle sound when I tapped it so I jammed a few bits of material underneath to test and bingo - rattle gone.  Now I just need to sort out a more permanent solution...

post-117014-0-96315900-1410482595_thumb.jpg

Edited by kitset
  • Like 2

Found it.

It's the plastic lining on the inside of the boot vibrating against the glass. It felt loose and made a hollow plasticy rattle sound when I tapped it so I jammed a few bits of material underneath to test and bingo - rattle gone.  Now I just need to sort out a more permanent solution...

attachicon.gifrattle.JPG

Nice.

If I knock on the plastic with my hand mine is rattling, too. At both top and bottom side of the glass. (Stupid solution from Skoda...)

But...!

Since I adjusted the lock and the buffers on the L/R side of the lid there's no noise..!

I had a noticeable boom (since the car was new) and finally additional rattling (started around 30k km) in the cabin on every bump.

I had to adjust (re-position) the car side of the lock (+ 5 mm inward) and the L/R buffer outward. The buffers did not touch the body...

Try to shake the lid from outside when closed. You can grab it around the number plate.

Also try to push the lid inward on L/R side.

If you can shake the lid or you can push it inward at the sides yours also need adjusting.

In my case the vibrating plastic caused the noise but as I mentioned after the lid adjusting it was disappeared.

Now I have an audible snap noise when I open the lid. Earlier there was nothing but the noise of the opener motor.

If it's not the loose lid then sorry but maybe useful info for the others...

• Like 1

I have similar issues now after 2 months of car use, wasnt there before, some kind of clonking/squeaking from the rear, sounds like suspension. I will try to empty the car as much as possible and then have a dring on some rough road. It seem like it happens even on slow speeds over a pothole or similar.

• 9 months later...

That's what I'm worried about so I've been waiting for it to get worse.  Just when I've convinced myself it's gone away and I can relax, it's back again.  I've had a poke around underneath the car and the exhaust heat sheilds don't seem to be loose.  I'm pretty certain it's a noise from under the car.  But this weekend I'll take everything out of the boot that can possibly move and see if that solves it.  If not I'll get the dealer to look at it when I take it back to get my new wing mirror switch which was broken when I collected the car.

So I finally took my estate in and they replaced both rear shocks.  Rattle/knocking gone.