Dealer wants to change my brake fluid.

Local Skoda dealer rang to say I needed an 9first time) MOT and my brake fluid changed.

I'd already had the MOT done elsewhere but they said I should have the break fluid changed (£50 ish)

Not heard of this before. Car is not to far off a prepaid service.

What do you think?

First MOT, so 3 year old car. At 3 years from new, brake fluid needs to be replaced, then at 2 years. It is a consumable item, just as engine oil. Over time brake fluid absorbs water and its boiling point goes down quite a bit. The longer you do not replace it, the more you risk internal corrosion of brake system and you definitely risk brake fluid boiling and loss of braking in a situation where you will need it most (e.g. repeated braking on roundabouts on a dual carriageway in the UK, or when a truck pulls out in front of you on autobahn).

When replacing brake fluid, I prefer to use Castrol React Super Dot 4, as it has much higher boiling point than stock and is just as durable. I boiled factory fluid on a nearly new Superb with stock pads/discs once, so the extra 40+deg temperature margin is welcome.

Edited by dieselV6
  • Like 1

I read JakeBlade's comment with interest. I have a Yeti on order but currently have a Tiguan which is on a three year service scheme.

I'm getting rid of it at 18 months due to the fact it's due it's fourth pano sunroof ! But on the VW service plan, even though it's says it should be done, I'm told the dealers charge for it. So it's one up for Skoda if they don't charge.

There is a test that can be done to determine the moisture content in brake fluid. If it passes then no need to change the fluid but as I said earlier you need to comply with your servicing schedule in the first few years at least.

Thanks for the replies peeps. Haven't had chance to reply as we've been doing a big clear out of junk in the house/garage. Somehow had accumulated three bbqs, three b and d workmates, six pairs of hi fi speakers and four boxes of useless ornaments. Also two sets of roof bars for long gone cars. Just how we've ended up with 18 suitcases I don' know.

Any road up I'll ring them and check when the next service is due and see if they'll do the fluid at the same time.

Car is just about to go out of warranty

• 2 months later...

Car in for prepaid service athe mo. They rang to say they can change the fluid as part of the service on the house. Result.

Result! Very kind of them.

Phil