Ashtray Stuck

My ashtray seems to be stuck in the half open/closed position. Didn't want to put too much pressure on it and break so thought I'd ask here of any possible reasons why it might've got stuck and any ways of sorting it. I don't use the ashtray so it's not too much of an inconvenience but it's annoying knowing it's like it and I'm a bit ocd when it comes to my cars.

pop the radio surround trim off then iirc theres  a couple of torx 20 screws holding in the entire ashtray assembly.

remove the inner tray and theres definitely one under that. get them out and you can slide the entire piece out,

then strip it clean it and re assemble. its just out of line more than likely.

I'll get a couple of pics tomorrow if you want, i have to change me drop links at some stage before going to work tomorrow night.

pop the radio surround trim off then iirc theres a couple of torx 20 screws holding in the entire ashtray assembly.

remove the inner tray and theres definitely one under that. get them out and you can slide the entire piece out,

then strip it clean it and re assemble. its just out of line more than likely.

I'll get a couple of pics tomorrow if you want, i have to change me drop links at some stage before going to work tomorrow night.

That'd be great, thanks

The Mech is on the left, when mine gets stuck, which it does a lot of the time I just pull it over to the right and "wiggle it, just a little bit" and it free's up.

Edited by mluton

Managed to get it open using a Little bit of force. Removed it from the car to check the mechanism but on removing it found a pair of tweezers down behind it, guessing that is what caused it to get stuck as working fine now it's all been installed again

• Like 2