Reverse gear

Anybody else regularly finding themselves in reverse instead of first when leaving a junction?

Seriously?  In my BMW, you just had to push the stick hard left to get past the gate, so it was a regular occurrence to start with.  But with the Skoda you have to push down on the gearstick...

Maybe you need to be not so violent with your gearstick?  Oh, and the parking sensors activating when it goes into reverse is a dead giveaway if it does happen (as is the look of horror on the person behind you's face  :D )

• Like 1

Do you actually have to push down on your gear stick to get reverse?  I'm just wondering if the gate is broken.

Not sure if that's worse than the transit I hired which had reverse instead of 6th and no gate at all - driving down the motorway grind, oh f*** no 6th, 2 mins later, grind... etc etc.

Glad it's not just me who does this, though more in the car park than at a junction. It does take some pressure to push the gearstick down but not a whole lot - and I too have been glad of that reversing sensor beep!

Edited by SNR
  • Like 1

Not sure if that's worse than the transit I hired which had reverse instead of 6th and no gate at all - driving down the motorway grind, oh f*** no 6th, 2 mins later, grind... etc etc.

Ive lost count of the number of times I've nearly tried to put the wife's mx5 into reverse going for 6th it doesn't have!

• Like 1

Ive lost count of the number of times I've nearly tried to put the wife's mx5 into reverse going for 6th it doesn't have!

I'm aways putting my wife's 5 speed in to the 6th gear it doesn't have. .just a grind from reverse in reply. .

Do this all the time with the Missus' Citygo. Plus it's the original selector with no push/pull to get into reverse  :sweat:

Mx5 also has the indicator stalk and wiper stalks on the opposite sides for added confusion. Handbrake is off to the left though so I'm used to that lol.

Seriously though check the gate is working properly on the octy. Only time I've got reverse on mine by accident is going from reverse to first when parking but that was probably me rushing

I'm aways putting my wife's 5 speed in to the 6th gear it doesn't have. .just a grind from reverse in reply. .

Wife's Honda Civic is a 6 speed but reverse is at the bottom right. EVERY time I try to engage reverse I try to push the stick down and go to the top left past 1st usually with an accompanying "COME ON YOU ****" before realising what I'm doing wrong.

Yes, I came from a Kia Cee'd where it had a toggle switch under the top of the gear stick to unlock and allow selecting of reverse. If anything the pushing down of the gear stick to select reverse is a bad design decision but I've gotten used to it now and do it a good deal less.

+1 here, I tend to do this accidentally when sat at lights using the stop start, tend to rest my hand on gear shift and don't realise I've pressed it down until I want to set off, but as the op says, thank god for parking sensors beeping when reverse is selected!

Jeez - the whole lot of you need DSG!

:)

Cheaper to run the risk with a manual, rather than pay extra for a pipe n slippers box! But I got £0 excess on my insurance just in case! :rofl:

• 1 year later...