Better bulbs for Mk3 headlights.

Alright Zoidberg, started to tackle this issue myself. Replaced my H7 low beams for Osram Nightbreak+ unlimiteds. Produce a crisp, sharp white beam that far exceeds the original bulbs. Want to replace the H15 drl/highbeam bulbs tho for a white light. Candle in a jar look doesn't do anything for me! Anyone came across a decent set of white H15's yet?

I upgraded my Octy II with Philips X Treme but I have been impressed with the standard lights on the Mk III. Beam assist works well so far. I'm not minded to upgrade and part of my commute is on a fast unlit B road. Maybe I got lucky with some decent OEMs?

I thought about doing this and then realised, first order two headlamp repair kits, then remove the bumper break the headlamps and use the repair kit and fit everything back.

• Like 1

I have Nightbreak Plus Unlimited in the Superb and they are noticeably better than standard. Be careful, although the reliability is better than their previous bulbs (Nightbreaker Plus), the life is compromised by auto lights (if you have them).

My first set blew pretty quickly but Osram were pretty good to me and replaced the blown bulb.

• Like 1

Those are 4000K Keith, we've got this output is our kitchen downlights, the sparks doing the fitout said they were "Daylight" bulbs when he turned them on all I could say was "Fn Caribbean Daylight thats what they are" 

If you can't see the road with these, you should go to Specsavers !

• Like 1

Those are 4000K Keith, we've got this output is our kitchen downlights, the sparks doing the fitout said they were "Daylight" bulbs when he turned them on all I could say was "Fn Caribbean Daylight thats what they are" 

If you can't see the road with these, you should go to Specsavers !

Just found some that are rated at 8500K!  Must get a free bottle of Sun tan lotion with them!!

Another option..not sure on quality though.. 

That's one thing I don't get..H15 bulbs have been about for a while now..but no branded ones seem to be on the market that are "brighter and whiter". I'll have to keep looking. Now I have my nightbreakers fitted I didnt realise how yellow the drls are.

• Like 1

Higher colour temperature does not mean better road lighting past 5000K, also some links above are pointing to coloured glass bulbs which have lower light output than similarly rated clear bulb ones (glass filters part of light), it is better to use stock bulbs. For night use, 3500K-5000K is best, with H15 unfortunately not much choice left other than what I discussed in this and other threads (overdriving stock bulbs, with voltage/range dependent on wanted bulb life expectancy). Overdriving stock bulbs for main beam also improves colour temperature,  to ~3600 - 3900k out of stock bulb, depending on voltage.  

• Like 1

Just found some that are rated at 8500K!  Must get a free bottle of Sun tan lotion with them!!

Another option..not sure on quality though.. 

8500K and you'll need a radiation suit Keith personally, I've seen 5000k and after a short period I found my eyes started to hurt 4000K seems about right for me. 

Might just be my eyes though I've been told I need reading glasses though I just can't face joining the Specky's yet ! I'm NOT old and my hair isn't receding I'm just getting a bigger forehead from all the knowledge I've gained well thats my story and I'm sticking to it !!!

• Like 1

I'd be happy with the equivalent of my Nightbreakers, what ever rating they are. 8500k is way too much..car would look like a BMW :D . Seriously though, something like 3000K to 4000K like you said, should be ample to remove the yellow lights. 

My nightbreakers have just arrived so will now have to see about replacing the H15s. If I don't find anything better I'm going to go for those I listed above.

Let me know how you get on with these Keith, as a postie I travel some very dark roads sometimes at speed too :notme:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...