Correct oil level on the Fabia vRS?

mackian

can someone advise me of the correct oil level on the VRS, noticed a faint line on the dipstick, about 8mm above the shaded area, where the dipstick straightens from the kinked bit, is that the maximum mark? also another stupid question but should it be checked when the engine is hot, doesnt mention the VRS in the handbook, just the smaller petrol engined skodas, noticed one of those had to be checked with the engine cold? never heard of that on a car before.

do these engines stop burning oil? reckons mines burned around 1 litre in 3800 miles, seems to be using a little less now,

Mine used 1l before the first service, and hasn't used a drop since (was only 2k miles ago mind) :thumbup: It was "driven" from about 500 miles though! ;)

Yep, that is the max mark. I only top up if its in the shaded area... little by little of course.

Doesn't need checking when cold, but atleast 10 mins after you switch the engine off as a minimum. And being parked on a level surface helps :rofl:

Thanks tom, was your first service at 10000 miles?, noticed my oil looks filthy after only 3800 miles, maybe thats a caracteristic of a diesel engine? 10000 miles seems a long time for oil?in my old polo,the oil always looked relatively clean, at thought that car was nippy, until i drove the VRS!

Thanks tom, was your first service at 10000 miles?, noticed my oil looks filthy after only 3800 miles, maybe thats a characteristic of a diesel engine? 10000 miles seems a long time for oil?in my old polo,the oil always looked relatively clean, at thought that car was nippy, until i drove the VRS!

Yep, first service at 10,000 miles.

The PD engine oil is very high spec (and expensive) and will last a very long time. 10k intervals is plenty. It is recommended NOT to change the oil before the first service as it will prolong the running in process if you do.

The oil gets black after 30 seconds of running after a service - doesn't it Ross :rolleyes:

I queried this with my dealer after checking the oil level before leaving the car park at the dealers. I stormed in "why haven't you change my oil"... Apparantly this is a common question, and I have every faith in my dealer, and Ross (Briskoda's in house Skoda Tech).

The Fabia certainly is a brisk car, and it loosens up around 10k miles, well, mine did anyway. Seems a lot smoother and quicker than when new, and more economical too! :thumbup:

Can't wait to get FMIC, Miltek exhaust and a remap. Hopefully this will yield around 180bhp!!! :cool: All for under

Right I have asked this before.....is the MAX mark the top of the shaded area, or is it where the dipstick angles slightly???? Some say its the shaded area and some dont, so WHERE IS THE TRUE MAX MARK???????????????

The kinked bit...

HTH

The shaded area is the recommended "zone" if you like, but the min and max levels are the kinks.

Your manual is your friend! Page 186/187.

Range A - between bottom kink and shaded area "you MUST top up the oil"

Range B - the shaded area "you MAY top up the oil"

Range C - "you MUST NOT top up the oil" (Risk of over filling I suppose...)

HTH

So where were you guys when I was fretting about the level of my oil (which is below the kinked bit but above the shaded area)????? PHEW, at last now I feel relieved.

Sorry.....

:rofl:

Tom,Asked my garage to check the oil level when the car was in, having my gearstick looked at, which was vibrating in neutral ,after collecting the car, told me they topped it up , when i checked it it was just above the upper Kink on the Dipstick, where it straightens out,right on that very faint line, you can see on the dipstick. is that correct or is it overfilled slightly

Tom,Asked my garage to check the oil level when the car was in, having my gearstick looked at, which was vibrating in neutral ,after collecting the car, told me they topped it up , when i checked it it was just above the upper Kink on the Dipstick, where it straightens out,right on that very faint line, you can see on the dipstick. is that correct or is it overfilled slightly

I think it is technically overfilled slightly - but its common practise for dealers to do this and perfectly within the safe tolerances of the engine. :thumbup:

Thanks for your advice again tom, much appreciated, Ive reached the conclusion I love that car too much, even the wifes complaining , the time i spend messing around with it, she nearly caught me polishing that stainless steel silencer. HOW SAD IS THAT?I think i need counselling.