Should i or shouldn't i? Superb Outdoor Tour de France 140 TDI 4x4

Hi.

Your thoughts and advice please folks?

I'm being offered a brand new Superb Outdoor Tour de France 140 manual 4 x 4 by my local dealership at £22.5k which is a whopping saving on the list of £28.5k with 0% finance on Solutions. They've offered me £15k in part ex on my 2 year old 19k miles Octavia VRS Blackline TDI DRS estate in white which is in excellent condition.

If anyone's got on constructive thoughts on this deal, I'd be really grateful for some feedback? 

Cheers

Thanks Kegs.

What I should also say is that I haven't got to put a penny to the deal and the monthly finance is identical to what I pay now.

Heart says keep the VRS but head says change...I think financially the sums work well.  Superb is a mighty fine vehicle and in Outlook trim I think it looks as good as the current Superb is ever going to look. I realsise that is will not be as swift or nimble but the 4x4 will be useful for the Winter country roads in Wales

If you remap the CR140 engine you'll get about the same power to weight as the diesel VRS except with 4WD... The other good news is that while the Superb is longer than the Octavia, it's not any wider than the VRS and has better ground clearance, so back road driving is no less convenient but more comfortable.

As its brand new I'd be careful with a remap in terms of the warranty.  Ride quality in the Superb is well ahead of the vRS and as psycholist says its not any wider on narrow roads.  Sounds like you do some driving on roads that might require that extra grip too.  The difference between 140 and 170 in the Superb is only noticeable with overtaking although obviously you are coming from the slightly lighter Octavia with the 170 engine but power differences are often relative and you quickly get used to what you have.  The numbers do look good but what about resale values on the Outdoor down the road - are they as good as standard Superbs?

Thanks everyone.

My previous car was a Superb 170 SE manual hatch and you're right, it doesn't feel anywhere near as big as it actually is.

As for resale values, I guess it would be slightly less than a 2wd version due to running costs but the Optional Final Payment is reasonable and I will probably change again in the 2-3 year window, so it's not too much of a worry.

As a matter of interest, when they face lifted the car last year, does anyone know if they tweaked the ride?

Cheers

You're in a good position to compare so if you've had a Superb before and you can take it that mechanically there is no real difference.  The FL is mostly cosmetic however, some of us who have had both the pre FL and now the FL have noticed that the FL sits a little higher on the road and the ride is a little different but nothing major. Most of the differences are probably down to choice and wheel choices anyway.  I did check it out and apparently the suspension settings etc are the same for both - well according to a Skoda anyway. 

• Like 1

I had a brand new octavia VRS TDI when my elegance 140 was in for a major service last week. The vrs was more nimble and quicker. Way more toys in the superb and I couldn't wait to get back in it. So much more comfort. No brainer for me and I'm a 30 year old petrol head!!

Go for the Superb Outdoor Tour De France. There aren't that many out there and the one I saw sitting on the forecourt of my local dealer looked fantastic, I'd have left my 2013 FL there and driven off in it given the chance

As for resale values, I guess it would be slightly less than a 2wd version due to running costs but the Optional Final Payment is reasonable and I will probably change again in the 2-3 year window, so it's not too much of a worry.

4x4 estates go for a premium over 2wd, and going by the level of interest that I had in mine when I sold it recently they are sought after, particularly in manual it seems. So you should have no problem getting a decent sale or part ex when you change.

Some great deals on the Tour De France with prices from £20179.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/skoda/superb/postcode/ab510ye/radius/1500/keywords/4x4/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/transmission/manual/body-type/estate/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/saved-search-id/2c929631410cf395014111f776af0011

I have a pre FL Outdoor as I prefer the original design and wanted a manual with the 170PS engine.

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

Went in to see the dealer today and ended up borrowing their former demonstrator overnight (which they have on the second-hand forecourt for £22.4k) and It's currently 'filling' the drive. I've been for a run up the motorway and had a good run around Birmingham plus some city centre driving but haven't had chance to get out into the country to do a bit of overtaking...which is the one area where I have slight concerns. I'm impressed with the how quiet and refined the car is and it feels much more sorted than my previous superb 170 manual hatch. I think it looks great but the Mrs walked straight past it on the drive without noticing!!l "I just saw a white car" was her defence!lol

I've asked the dealership to quote on a 170 estate manual black edition with the hope they might be able to get close to the deal they're offering on this the TDF, which is now around £21750.This fits well with other unregistered vehicles (which qualify for 0% finance whereas the demonstrators don't) pointed out by scottalej in his post above (thanks).

If I have no success with a black edition I will probably do the deal but I think a bit more 'encouragement' maybe required from the dealer  ;-))

I bought a twin door elegance FL 170 in March and chucked 11500 miles at it in 7 months.  Got an absolutely stonking deal on it at the time too although it took around 3 weeks to play dealers off each other with some imagined figures for them to beat.

Fast forward 7 months and i make tentative enquiries about the TdF Outdoor estate (at the right time of course).  They were ageing every day that passed since the TdF and they knew it.  Stayed cool until i got the call saying that they were now doing the TdF at massively discounted prices, with 0% and 3 years free servicing.

Got out of the elegance but had £800 negative equity.  Got the TdF from £28000 odd pounds down to just over £19000 brand new, unregistered.

4x4, vast diesel estate with heaps of added extras - no brainer.  GMFV of just over £9000 but i'd be very suprised if there wasn't a good 2 grand equity.

Confident i got by far the best deal in the UK.  Could be something to do with the fact that i have now had 6 new skodas in just over 6 months from the same dealer!

Superb 170 elegance twin door - mine

Octavia 150 elegance estate - hers

Fabia 1.2 TSi DSG Elegance - mum

Yeti 140 4x4 Tour de France - her new one

Citigo SE 3 door - sister

Superb 140 Tour de France Outdoor - mine

All in all though, supremely chuffed with what we have and would recommend the TdF to anyone.  However, numbers were very limited when we sorted the deal for my new one and they were all Moon white (no petrol blue left)

Good luck! :-)