vRS pointers

I went to look at a FL mk2 Octavia vRS last week. It was the first mk2 that I have been to see and I have to say I was very tempted. However there were a few bits and pieces that niggled at me so walked away.

I was wondering if all you Octavia vRS bods out there could let me know if some bits I spotted are 'standard' in the way they were built/if I'm being overly picky. Would be good to know for the next time. 

One of the things was I felt the boot wasn't closing particularly great so ran my fingers down the body gaps. To me their was a very slightly bigger gap on the n/s on the vertical part of the boot. If this normal?

Another thing was another gap on the inner wheel arch, as per the pic attached. Again, is this normal?

Correct me if I am wrong but a TFSI engine has the cambelt and needs changed every 4yrs of 60k miles whereas a TSI has chain and shouldn't need changed? Any other real advantages/disadvantages between either of them?

One of the reasons for me going for a vRS is that I need a car that has the capability for towing but I've seen some comments saying that getting the electrics setup is a pain in the backside. Max weight of trailer and load would be around 1500kg, more than likely less. Would a vRS be up for the job and not be a complete pain to get a towbar and electrics sorted without huge expense?

I've also seen comments saying to watchout for headlight units etc and see if they have been replaced after any possible accident etc. Where would you find the dates?

As my last car was 11yrs old I've not been used to fancy lights like the xeon ones...is there anyway to tell if they are xeon apart from the seller/dealer saying they are/how can you tell during the day.

Know these are amateur things but would appreciate the advice.

Cheers,

Ed

post-116549-0-19406200-1412276284_thumb.jpg

Not sure about the towing etc but I'm sure xenons have a washer system which Is a little flap on the bumper which pops up if you wash the screen with the lights on to give the lights a wash look at pics online and yes tsi has chain tfsi has belt

Sent from my iPhone 5

using Tapatalk

Wannabe chav maybe but I was of the understanding that headlight washers with no xenon's meant a winter pack was fitted and in most cases that meant heated seats & washer jets also.

As for towing the octavia mk2 vrs 2.0t only has the towing weight of 1400kg I only know that cause before I picked mine up that was 1 of the first things I checked as my caravan is only 1288kg

Wannabe chav maybe but I was of the understanding that headlight washers with no xenon's meant a winter pack was fitted and in most cases that meant heated seats & washer jets also.

Now there's a thing. :sweat:

There was one guy who definitely didn't have xenons (hi Alan!), who'd fitted the flaps on his halogen equipped car as he thought it looked better for it....... But as you say, there are other non xenon cars that also have washers fitted.

I suppose the easiest way is to see if the lights move up and down + side to side when they're turned on - they'll also take a few seconds to come to maximum brightness.

Ok...so the flaps could be for heated washers on standard headlights and not necessarily xeon. I'll know next time to get someone to turn them on and watch to see if they move when switched on. Handy wee tip...thanks  :happy: See it's things like this that'll hopefully help when viewing one.

As for the towing, yeah 1400kg will be fine for the train I need to pull so that's spot on.

Any thoughts as to the gap in the pic or if the gap in the boot is 'normal'?

Appreciate the help folks!!

factory xenons will also have no height adjuster for the lights next to the dimmer switch for the dash, while normal headlights will.

The factory xenons have self leveling sensors on start up to adjust the height so will have no adjustment inside the car.

As for your question regarding TFSI and TSI engines - in my experience, the TSI is a much better engine for the following reasons:

- Doesn't require constant Oil top ups

- Generates better MPG

- Quieter

Also all of the FL versions come with the TSI engine so yes, they're chain driven