Cambelt time soon...full kit or just belt?

Coming upto 4 years between the last full cambelt swap which was the full kit inc water pump and damper.

Now the car has only done 20-25k tops since all this was done...would you swap just the belt or do the lot again?

Ta!

Full kit mate as its all age related as well as mileage. I'd always do the whole kit when doing the belt just to prevent failiures

I asked the same question having done same mileage and everyone said the same thing I couldn't using my engineering mind couldn't think why logically you should! Other than people saying "you just should"

I asked a few vag experts and eventually got the answer that made sense which was Change the lot as you can get moisture ingress over time into the pulley bearings which "can" fail

Makes sense

• Like 1

Coming upto 4 years between the last full cambelt swap which was the full kit inc water pump and damper.

Now the car has only done 20-25k tops since all this was done...would you swap just the belt or do the lot again?

Ta!

Thats pretty much same age and mileage as my vrs and was wondering the same thing.I've been looking at cambelt kits on ebay to try and keep costs down.Would this kit be ok http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TIMING-CAM-BELT-KIT-WATER-PUMP-SKODA-OCTAVIA-RS-1-8-T-AUQ-Engines-01-/321226548553?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aca982549

Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the cambelt. The amount of broken pulleys I come across at work is unbelievable. For the sake of £100-150 worth of parts, I wod always recommend doing the lot. It's a lot cheaper than replacing bent valves!

Definitely full kit, but not at 4 years, inspect once a year if the belt looks pristine, if yes, only change at mileage.

4/5 years or any time interval for the belt replacement is VAG UK con (and even officially they call it a "recommendation"), dealerships elsewhere in Europe never heard of it.

Edited by dieselV6

I would not replace it yet.

Dealers might recommend 4 years/60k (I wonder why!) but other belt manufacturers list other intervals - SKF list 5 years/72k and Continental list 80k with no time interval. I think you'd have to be extremely unlucky to have a belt snap within 5 years/72k.

Unlucky, but does happen.

I've had cars at work with broken belts that aren't even due a change.

Premature failures could be due to any number of things and it might not be possible to determine the cause of the failure once the belt has snapped.

That's the predicament! Sods law rules..... when you replace it is obviously your call, but when you do personally I'd do the lot. Out of interest are your trips mostly short ones as that increases the risk because the engine stops (and then starts again) from the same few positions due to the resistance created as each cylinder comes up to compression. That then puts the initial start up load on the same teeth on the belt each time which is where most strain is put on tne belt.

...Which is why the belt should be inspected every year after a few years or half mileage.  Why pay £££s for replacement when timing belt inspection can be done without tools and takes a couple minutes?  Open bonnet, take off engine cover, undo timing belt cover latches and remove cover, look at the belt for frailing marks, eyeball pulleys and gears, check tensioner marks if lined up, if you really want also measure the belt width, job done. That is roughly how it happens outside UK, but in the UK VAG seized it as a money spinner for dealership workshops.

Edited by dieselV6

That's ok, but how would you spin the pulleys and water pump to check for worn bearings?

I know how a lot of you are thinking, why spend money when you might not have to, but it can't be a bad thing replacing it

• Like 1

Worn pulley bearings will result in making very visible marks on the belt, same for water pump (and it'll start leaking which is noticeable without inspection).

I know your livelihood depends on getting workshop jobs, but frankly most of us Skoda owners are not rich guys, and spending money on unnecessary maintenance just isn't our thing.

Plus most "snapped belt" and similar problems seem to happen shortly after TB replacement jobs, often because workshop "forgot" to use new bolts or tensioned belt incorrectly. Not to mention overheated head gaskets because apparently, most workshops still do not know that you need to disconnect top radiator hose to refill engine head fully.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Edited by dieselV6

Believe me, I really don't enjoy doing timing belts, some cars can take 5hrs+, some cars the engine needs to come out.

I just think in the long run, a few hours work and £100 of parts is cheaper than removing the head and replacing valves.