Business use car insurance

Jane_i10

Hi all

My new job requires i have business use on my car, my renewal is due in a few weeks so ive done a few quotes and it has put my insurance up by at least £200 compared to social and commuting to a single place of work.

Is it possible the company i work for would pay for this? I cannot believe its so much extra! 

Are we talking necessary and regular business use, or just being paid 45p a mile for the odd trip here and there to clients?  I get the latter on the rare time I get sent out the office, but I've not felt the need to say I am using my car for business.

I've never paid any extra for business cover on my cars.

Anyway, if your employer is requiring you to use your own car for work they should be paying you enough to cover the cost of fuel, insurance, servicing and depreciation.

I've got business use on my Audi policy but with a limited mileage, it added nothing to the premium.

For my employer to pay mileage they actually require the MOT certificate and a copy of insurance certificate with proof of business use which they hold on file otherwise they will not pay mileage. Its part of their due diligence in making sure that me and the company kit that I am usually carrying in the car are properly covered in the event of an accident.

• Like 1

Some insurer include business miles for free.

So do a few more comparison websites!

I know Tesco used to offer it free.

Currently i am with eSure - and as long as i dont exceed my annual mileage,

they included it for free for me :-)

The inclusive business use often depends on the type of business involved, so you need to be careful of that. Carriage of goods is often excluded.

Ours is for visiting customers

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Are we talking necessary and regular business use, or just being paid 45p a mile for the odd trip here and there to clients?  I get the latter on the rare time I get sent out the office, but I've not felt the need to say I am using my car for business.

well you will be breaching the t n cs of your insurance.

I notice that direct line include business class insurance if quote and paid for online. Prices appear competitive too 

The inclusive business use often depends on the type of business involved, so you need to be careful of that. Carriage of goods is often excluded.

No it is the sales bit that bumps it up. I travel round farms for work and carry equipment. I cannot remember if it is class 2 or 3 business use. It's the one for travelling sales that really bump it up. I am not sure the equipment is covered (I think not) however that is not my problem.

The standard mileage rate set by HMRC is 45 ppm for the first 10000 per year falling to 25ppm thereafter.

If you are paid more the extra is taxable, paid less and you can reclaim the tax on the defecit.

U absolutely right, Graham.

When u enquired at the insurer u NEED to tell them what it is for.

I only use it for to travel to meetings.

well you will be breaching the t n cs of your insurance.

I notice that direct line include business class insurance if quote and paid for online. Prices appear competitive too

Without knowing the t&c - yes it should do.

If u claim ANY business miles then your car MUST at least have business cover. My work place demands I sign a declaration for this and show them proof of it via the insurance certificate.

I know some employers are a bit lax at this (is thy state the requirements but do not check) - so if u did a business trip and make a claim - it will be void by insurer if thy find out and u could be prosecuted for lying ...

I have class 1 and it is required for visiting company sites. Commuting only covers a single place of work. If you're travelling to customers, I expect that to be at least class 2. If it is going to push up your premium by £200, then have a chat with someone regarding expensing it. I was told if it was going to make a significant change, I could expense it.

Do not just leave it. Taking one for the company is not a good idea.

I think it costs me an extra £40 or so on a 20000m year £350 policy split approx 50/50 work/SDP. I travel round farms and carry equipment.

I think a lot of people are unaware that even a trivial act such as dropping off the office mail at the post office on the way home would be classed as business use and for commuting you would be only covered to your main place of work. So if you "commute" to another office for a meeting or whatever that is NOT COMMUTING.

I am sure many many folks chance it though. Something like 20% don't bother with any insurance, most get away with if. Of those caught the panalties are often less than the premium so really only the honest are penalised.

Scumbags get off.

we can cover personal business use no problem.

Is there a difference between "personal business use" and merely using your car on your employers business on an ad hoc basis being paid 45p a mile?  The former suggests you are running your own business, the latter merely doing the odd work trip for your employer. :)

I actually can't remember the last time I did a 45p a mile expense claim for my employer, and therefore have no desire to pay +£200 odd for the off chance I might do the odd small trip. :)

Is there a difference between "personal business use" and merely using your car on your employers business on an ad hoc basis being paid 45p a mile?  The former suggests you are running your own business, the latter merely doing the odd work trip for your employer. :)

I actually can't remember the last time I did a 45p a mile expense claim for my employer, and therefore have no desire to pay +£200 odd for the off chance I might do the odd small trip. :)

Even if you don't claim for the miles. If it is for your employers business it is business use.

I guess that from your posts you are in breach of your policy.

I love how all your employees want proof of business cover etc while my gaf tell us whatever they can to get us to use ours  :D

We have to sometimes go to another depot for a course instead of our home depot. They reckon because you are just going to another depot then staying there for a day once in a blue moon it's not an issue and no business cover needed. They reckon if we were going place to place all the time it'd be needed. I suppose it depends how far you break it down, until recently we had 2 depots within 30 seconds of each other. We'd be 50/50 which depot we'd need to go to each day no doubt we should have all had business cover.

I've got it on mine just for the odd chance I have to do a trip at work for something.